AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a Blu-ray player. I have an Anthem AVM20 and Samsung LNS5781F. I just ordered a DVDO Edge to permit use of HDMI for my Directv HD Box and now want a Blu-ray. Apparently I need analog out for the audio. I am looking for compatibility and bang for the buck, quality wise. Any suggestions?

Thansk

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Oppo BDP80 or 83. Depends on your budget. If you really want awesome analog audio then possibly even the 83 SE.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for prompt response. Perhaps a stupid question - if I am running video through the DVDO Edge, do I care about the video quality of the BR player?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF /forum/post/18227724

Thanks for prompt response. Perhaps a stupid question - if I am running video through the DVDO Edge, do I care about the video quality of the BR player?

Not especially. It's going to pass through 1080p24 from the player anyways. If you set the player to native that means you're leaning on the Edge 100 percent for anything the player outputs below 1080p. (DVDs and such.)

The weighty decider here for you is the analog output section of the player. How much are you willing to spend?

I think you'll find that Oppo line has the best bang for your buck at several price points as far as anything out there goes otherwise you're in to Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG, etc.

It's up to your budget and what you're looking for after that.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I suggest Oppo, Pioneer or Denon. They all offer players with great analog audio and all have a Source Direct feature for processors.

If your on a budget, I'd suggest the Pioneer 320 or 23. At a higher price, the Oppo 83.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - as I (think) I learn more, I am refining my request. I'm now considering downgrading the BR player for now - I'm now looking for a simple BR player that will output directly to the DVDO Edge (so video quality doesnt matter, correct?). I think this means I jsut want a good "transport" that has "native output" for both DVD and BR discs. As for audio, I will just run a digital/optical to my receiver (which doesn't have HDMI). If the BR player streams netflix, that would be a bonus.

Do my assumptions makes sense to you guys? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
For a transport, go with the Oppo BDP-80. It has everything that the 83 has except for the video processing, and the analog section isn't as good as on the 83.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18233638

For a transport, go with the Oppo BDP-80. It has everything that the 83 has except for the video processing, and the analog section isn't as good as on the 83.

I'd start here with the 80.

If you buy it from Oppo direct you have 30 days to exchange or return, no questions asked.

In that time you'll easily know if that's enough for you or you can send it back and get one of the 83s if you feel the need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also have same question re blue ray player and Edge. Just need a transport and use Edge for video processing and DAC for audio. Recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts