AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this place is a wealth of information but I hate asking questions that may or maynot have obvious answers. Does anyone have any good home theater construction books that they can recommend?

Thanks

Josh

· Registered
325 Posts
Good question, I did a search and found referances that the reviewers claimed to be good but am reluctant to buy without getting a chance to thumb through.

The biggest problem I find is that the books tend to talk about the latest is Home Theatre equipment, which we all know is good for about 4 months.

Being an engineer I am looking for an engineering style referance book but have yet to find one. I looked at a book store today and thought I found a good book but there was only ten pages of infomation I already knew.

Maybe when I get done building my HT I'll write my own book. Having a consulting background, I of course would want to be paid for the information I hand out.

I know this is absolutely no help to you but if I find a good referance I'll let you know. Please do the same.

Carl

· Registered
631 Posts
I don't think that there is a book that fits what we are doing. There are a lot of books quoted in here but when the grab a bit from this book and a bit from that book in the same paragraph that tells me that THE book doesn’t exist. I have a few and they don't even look good on a coffee table. Write your own. Do searches, then when you find the info your looking for cut and past. Keep folders, e.g. sound proofing, acustic tratments, ect, ect. A lot of the books contradict each other.

So how can you be sure your getting the right info? It is kind of like a doc, he is just practicing. Trial and error is the best learning, just do a search for "what would you do different" and you will see what I mean. I know this dosn't answer you Q but it is my opinion.

· Registered
513 Posts
When I started building my HT, also looked for a book/books to get me started. I purchased & read Sound Studio Construction on a Budget by F Alton Everest.

I ended up learning >much

Regards

BB

· Registered
80 Posts
Unfortunately you guys are right, no single book exists, nor do any 10 books exist that cover home theater. I like bwolff suggestion, I think I'll write one. Specifically one that is not component specific. Good acoustics, room design, interior design, construction and ergonomics. These topics are timeless to HT.

Hmmm... Write my own HT Bible... I like it.

Not very helpful, but very truthful.. Keep reading the forum and asking advice from people who are willing to provide it. Not perfect, but very helpful.

· Registered
325 Posts
I am currently working with 4 books and some white papers:

1. Small Budget Recording Studio by F. Alton Everest. The newest edition has 10 pages on TH. Good source to understand room acoustics and some tip son building a room. Get from Library.

2. Build Your Own Home Theater by Robert Wolenik. A little dated but interesting to flip through. Good general reference.

3. Complete Construction, Real Answers Contractors Need, Room Additions. Halfway decent reference on terms used to building construction. Good quick tip son framing.

4. Master Handbook of Acoustics (4th Edition) by F. Alton Everest. If you want to really understand Acoustics this is the book to read. Best take-a-way: each room has its own acoustics and understanding this is key.

Also read some white papers I found on the Infinity home page.

1. Understanding Room Acoustic and Speaker Placement

2. The Acoustical Design of Home Theaters

3. Loudspeakers and Rooms - Working Together

4. Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction Parts 1, 2 and 3.

I am still looking for a reference that talks about wall coverings and if columns add to or take away from a design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.