Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, I realize most of you don't like Bose for various reasons. Based on that, I was looking at other speakers, but then I realized that:

A. Our house/home theater area is specifically wired with the Acoustimass proprietary connectors, and it would be expensive to rewire them.

B. This system is for my parents, who are not concerned with "audiophilic" sound. They've heard Bose speakers and liked them, and that's good enough for me.

Now, in the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=554751

I've detailed the exact wiring, hutch size, etc. that we have here (scroll down for the pictures), and I was wondering if anybody could give me some specific Acoustimass models that would be able to use the cabling present, and perhaps be able to fit in the custom hutch that was obviously meant for the previous owner's Acoustimaas subwoofer/control box thing.

Thank you!

P.S. Forgot to mention that this system would be hooked up to a Harmon Kardon AVR650 Receiver.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For the money wasted on an overpriced blose system, you could easily pay to have the wiring changed and get a new hutch, and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The man asked for help picking out a Bose system - why crap on his request.

One thing I would recommend is going to the Bose website and contacting their sales/tech support. It might take a week for a response (unless you call them) - but they are very helpful and will get you exactly what you need.

Unfortunately, their website does not offer too many pictures of the backs of their products - tough to determine what connections they have.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pion
For the money wasted on an overpriced blose system, you could easily pay to have the wiring changed and get a new hutch, and still come out ahead.
I disagree with this. The cheapest wiring company in this area charges 150.00-200.00 per hour, not including equipment. To re-do the hutch would mean we'd need to get an interior designer / woodworker / construction guys. Regardless of how expensive Bose is, it wouldn't come close to the redesign costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen rhe connections used with the Bose AM series of home theater speakers, and that's not it. I have a feeling the previous owner may have had a Lifestyle system installed.

Unlike the Acoustimass passive speaker systems with a powered subwoofer - the Lifestyle system will have amplification for all channels in that sub box - all intended for a "no brainer" install.

Lifestyle systems are very costly! However if that is correct, Sam's Club does have a base level unit for around $1500.

Contacting Bose directly for support (armed with a URL as posted above) would be a very good idea. You might find that it was an older system, and some wire-pulling and work may be the ultimate result regardless. Call "the man" first.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I know this doesn't help you at all, but I'm just disgusted at what you have to deal with. If it were me I would just redo the whole wiring and forget bose. Not mentioning on their quality at all, its just simply stupid to use proprietary hookups, ridiculous. I would quickly rip out, and place new wiring and connections.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What's so hard about taking the BOSE like connectors, ripping them off the cables and using the in-wall cable??????????????????????????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.