AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a HT in my basement where a good off air reception is next to none and im using a projector down there that has no tuner.

Im looking to pull some channels to watch football games when the new season starts.

Wich box would you guys recomend?

I have DVI, componet, Svideo and composit inputs but ide prefer DVI or componet outputs on the box to use. RGB also if its possible.

I probobly wont be using an antenna i can run a cable to the room but since i wont be watching tv down there i didnt want to get another cable box from time warner that they charge extra per month to use.

I found one called a "PHD-205LE ATSC / QAM (HD) Tuner Receiver Box" for $140.

Is there any better options? the PHD-205LE has all the outputs and stuff i want but im wondering if there is somthing a little cheaper?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
If you have cable TV, the best box would be a cable box from your provider. Thanks to Switch Digital Video a cable card capable tuner might not get all the stations available.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16929740

Im looking to pull some channels to watch football games when the new season starts......

I probably wont be using an antenna i can run a cable to the room but since i wont be watching tv down there i didnt want to get another cable box from time warner that they charge extra per month to use.

Is there any better options? the PHD-205LE has all the outputs and stuff i want but im wondering if there is somthing a little cheaper?

There's a Centronics QAM/ATSC tuner due out any day now which is considerably cheaper.

But with any QAM tuner, you will probably only pick up the local digitals, because they generally encrypt everything else digital.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16929740

I built a HT in my basement where a good off air reception is next to none and im using a projector down there that has no tuner.

Im looking to pull some channels to watch football games when the new season starts.

Wich box would you guys recomend?

I

have DVI, compet, Svidid and c compit inpututs but ide efefer DVI or compet outpuputs on the box to use. RGB also if its possible.

I probob wont bebe using an antenna i can run a cable to the room but since i wont be watching tv dowththere i didnt nt toto get another cable box from time warnerhat ththey charge extra per month to use.

Is there any better options? the PHD-205LE has all the outputs and stuff i want but im wonderi i if there is somthing aittle chcheaper?

First, lets assume the projector is HD. If so, you definitely want an HD box of some kind. You'll need to use component video, DVI or RGB to get HD. Most current boxes use component video and HDMI (which can be easily converted to DVI).

Second, you have a choice to make as far as what channels you want in HD. If all you want are local HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, etc.), a tuner with QAM capability is all you need, and of course any subscription to TWC. The least expensive new QAM tuner right now is the Centronics ZAT502HD, at $85, which is out of stock at the moment and should be shipping again in a week or two. See the Centronics 502 topic for details.

Third, if you want more than local HD, for example ESPN HD, TNT HD, USA HD, etc., then you have another choice; you can rent a box from TWC, which you've already said you don't want to do, or you can buy a TiVo HD or Moxi, both of which are cable HD DVR's that use 'CableCARD'. CableCARD is a a conditional access system that will give you all the channels you subscribe to without a cable box. You do have to rent the CableCARD from TWC, but it's usually around $2 per month.

Right now, all CableCARD devices are one way, meaning they will not do PPV or OnDemand. By the end of the year, we'll begin to see 'tru2way' CableCARD devices, which in addition to everything the TiVo HD & Moxi do, will also do PPV & OnDemand.

See the HDTV Recorders Forum for details on the TiVo HD & Moxi.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Do you want a box for OverTheAir or for cable?

Most OTA digital boxes will get you NOTHING on cable.

Two entirely different digital systems.

Very few boxes will do both cable digital (QAM) and OTA digital (ATSC), and even those that do both may not get much in the way of cable. (They sure won't get encrypted channels.)

If you want OTA, fine. Get either an HD tuner or a digital converter box.

If you want cable, get a box from your cable company.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I was wondering about this too...

So my comcast HD cable box that I am now using for my HD TV also has a tuner built-in to the box that I can use (via hdmi switch) to send the signal to a projector?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime /forum/post/16974510

I was wondering about this too...

So my comcast HD cable box that I am now using for my HD TV also has a tuner built-in to the box that I can use (via hdmi switch) to send the signal to a projector?

All cable boxes have tuners; that's what they are, a cable tuner with one output. Some have other functions too, like DVR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem. Is there a box that i can hook up to my cable and get non HD channels (like any tv just hooked up directly to the cable outlet) along with the basic channels (ABC etc) in HD?

·
Registered
45,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svp50 /forum/post/17369799

I have the same problem. Is there a box that i can hook up to my cable and get non HD channels (like any tv just hooked up directly to the cable outlet) along with the basic channels (ABC etc) in HD?

That would be an analog cable tuner with QAM. The ones I know about are discontinued. I would suggest using a VCR with cable tuner, and a new QAM tuner for the HD, and switching on the projector between the two.

Also, read the last few pages of this topic for a not quite available yet unit that sounds like it would do the trick: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...638769&page=27

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the help. Do you have an example of a discontinued unit? The new "ultimate tuner" unit looks promising but thats some waiting time.

·
Registered
45,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svp50 /forum/post/17402457

Thanks for the help. Do you have an example of a discontinued unit? The new "ultimate tuner" unit looks promising but thats some waiting time.

This topic ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095 ) has all the QAM tuners ever available, I think.

In the discontinued category, there may or may not be a reference to analog cable; it wasn't that important at the time. If you look at discontinued QAM tuners, and do a search in the HDTV Technical Forum for the brand and model of those units, you should find topics with references, I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts