AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and I was wondering which brands have "bright" sounding speakers. I want to avoid them like the plague, that is my current problem with my Sony 5.1 bookshelf system. I'm looking for "warm" sounding speakers. Thanks!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bright and speakers that I like, JM Focals, Def Tech, Mission (or at least they where 20 years ago), speakercraft, and wharfedale but not as much as the ones I mentioned earlier.

Now my disclaimer. this is my oppion and you should still auditioned all speakers to make sure you agree with my ears on what is bright and there for not your taste.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i would say polk has some bright speakers...they arent overly bright but they definately arent what i would consider warm...i currently own Rti6 bookshelfs and am looking to upgrade to paradigm studio series for this very reason...paradigms all have a very nice rich tone to them, at least IMO

the LSi series from polk are nice and warm but for the price you can get far better IMO

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't think you are doing yourself any favors in considering speakers comparing them to a Sony system and what you feel is bright.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 /forum/post/0

I don't think you are doing yourself any favors in considering speakers comparing them to a Sony system and what you feel is bright.

So what would you reccommend?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
LJ, if you 'search' in this forum section for threads that have the word 'best' and the word 'speakers' in the thread title, you'll surely find guidance in whatever your price range is.

Very good speakers that have response extending above 20kHz, that can reproduce the 'air' of a live performance, can sound unpleasantly 'bright' with poorly recorded material, poor transports, poor electronics, and/or poor acoustics.

I would advise you to demo complete systems in your home if at all possible -- see if you can find a dealer who will let you borrow a demo system overnight.

Once you get a feeling for how things sound in your room, you'll be better able to audition in stores. And by all means follow the age old advice: Listen to good systems (and live music) so you know what the goal is

·
Registered
325 Posts
How big is your room, How big is your budget, what do you listen to the most? Movies? Music? When you get suggestions on this board your sony setup will look like a boombox, there are definitely some bright speakers out there, Klipsch for example, but bright compared to what? a Maggie or a B&W... People consider my Ascend Acoustics setup a bit bright, I heard them next to the X series, which is considered Warm, neither of them was so bad one way or another that it would sway my decision solely based on that factor, alot of it could be the crossover point of the Sony setup, I had a Pioneer HTIB and it just sounded like someone shouting over the speaker with a little bump bump from the sub, now my Ascends feel refined, my HSU subwoofer, concise. Obviously you have to live inside your budget, so what someone who spent 10k thinks, vs someone like me or you that might spend 1-2k is vastly different.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My room is 12W x 20L x 8H. Right now I can spend 1k total for the front speakers and the center speaker. Surrounds will be later.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well others will be able to chime in maybe they have heard them, maybe they are just reading some review, but I have very little AV places around my city to hear audio at, so most of my experiences are from things that people already own, or what I own, My buddy just spent wow 3-4k on a Vienna acoustics setup from Magnolia/bestbuy and then when he came and checked out my Ascends and heard what I paid, he took them back, so I would think in terms of your entire budget, what I'm trying to convey is 1k for 5 speakers say, X series, or Ascend, or whatever people might recommend, VS. you spending 1k just for 3 speakers may be just that...you just spending the money, meaning the $$/performance ratio might not be at your advantage. For me to ditch my probably I'd say 1400 dollar setup for all my Ascend 340s/170's/and HSU subwoofer, I'd have to move up to 5k plus dollars before it would be worth it to me in performance vs. keeping what I have. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
One man's "bright" is another man's "detailed". One man's "warm" is another man's "veiled".

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I wouldn't base any judgements on that Sony system. Your listening to crap and trying to draw parallels to quality audio systems.

Jon

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude /forum/post/0

One man's "bright" is another man's "detailed". One man's "warm" is another man's "veiled".

Amen to that! The earlier guy said POlk rti's are bright, and I chose them over Infinity and Klipsch partially because they were NOT bright (to me).

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
around the mountain

...the Mountain? No one brought Bose into this discussion yet...

·
Registered
879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX /forum/post/0

English brands are typically "bright" which I prefer.

Are you high? Besides B&W and Mission I can't think of another English speaker that is bright. The British invented warm and laid back.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
Besides B&W and Mission I can't think of another English speaker that is bright

Funny too, 'cause I wouldn't call those two brands bright either.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Interpretation. I think Mission could go either way depending on your ear. Personally I would classify them as neutral.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
How any speaker sounds in one room can be completely different in another. And when you listen to speakers of a store, take note of the room.

For example, last summer I went to the Fry's in Sac. CA. They had 4 audio rooms and all had one wall that were mostly windows. That will present a live, or bright sound. I was auditioning JBL Studio L Series L890 towers, and it was really 'live'. But I figured I'd try them at home, where I've got thick carpet, padded chairs, and much less windows, covered with heavy drapes.

The result was that the sound was detailed, clear and dynamic, but NOT overly bright, as it was in the store. The L890s became keepers.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts