AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off my room has my TV in one corner of a rectangle, making optimum setup near impossible. I'd really like to future proof my system, so that if it were to move to the center of the room, that I could eventually implement 7.1 sound. However it just doest seem to be possible right now.

THE components I feed it are a very rarely used 360, unless i decide to mod it in which case I might use it more, an HTPC, and HDDVR cabke box.

First off, the HTPC must be sent over dvi-> VGA straight to my 1080P 47' lcd TV. sound goes over optical

I will assume that my TV is more capable of upscaling sd content, and a receiver doesn't even need to touch my hd CABLE content.

I am sure I can figure out how to send HD audio to my receiver from HTPC over LPCM.

So basically I dont need any of the extra features and jazz that usually factor into deciding on a receiver.

I really REALLY need a great 5.1 / 7.1 system with relatively few bells and whistles that produces extremely good sound quality with wattage sufficient to run power intesnsive speakers, which is where I'd like to spend the money saved on the receiver.

I'm looking at the YAMRXV463BL, MARSR3001 both for 5.1 and

Yamaha RX-V563BL and DENAVR1709

The first two options could possibly give me $3oo extra to spend on soeakers and subs.

Aside of all the features these others offer, can you see any benefit for me to spend more?

My last 3 major purchases have come down to a situation like this, and have ended with knowledgeable folk recommending me where to go. I have always been extremely satisfied with the results.

Just chime in and give me your honest opinion and you'll do a world of good to help me feel at ease about my purchase.

Thannlks so very much!

WWWWWWIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGYYYYYYYYYY

·
Registered
273 Posts
IMO, always spend more money on speakers. Receivers come and go, speakers tend to stay for a while. Anyway, speakers have a much greater effect on what you hear that the actual receiver does.

I'd like to recommend the Marantz, but there is just no way that you can justify buying a non-HDMI receiver these days, and on that strength alone, I'd say go for the RX-V463 and spend the money on speakers.

One thing though, the amplification unit on this receiver is not mega strong, so make very sure you buy 8 ohm speakers with a very high sensitivity rating. good luck

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Pio 918 and Yammie 463 are my usual recommendations in this range. Both are very good units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.