AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the projector market, and am interested in a budget projector. The room is kinda of small (12x13) but it's what i have to work with. There seems to be a couple of budget favorites on the forum, such as the nec lt150 or the infocus340/350 series, or the sanyos (don't know which)

I'm currently leaning towards a plus up-1100 + thumper's mods. Would that be the best bet in this price range? I plan on using a HTPC so i don't think infocus' scaler is a factor. It seems to me like the plus up-1100 and thumper's mods would be one of the least expensive projector setups and yet have remarkable picture quality. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

-Spencer

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
A Thumperized Plus would be a good idea (I have one). Even cheaper, a Sharp M10S would be good (I had one). Since the Sharp is a semi clone of the LT85/150 then I would imagine they are even better.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
according to projector central, the sharp M10S is an Plus U3-880 clone. it seems like the lt150 is pretty nice. I think i'll prolly go with the thumperized up-1100 if i can find one. Thanks for your help.

-Spencer

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The M10S is a Plus clone, as is the NEC (with some changes).

The good thing about it is that it has a very nice picture and it is cheap - $1800 new.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I buy everything used so, as you can see, it makes it easy to go through a bit of stuff without a big financial hit.

Your post wasn't entirely off topic though. 'The Bad Screen Shots' there are actually from a Sharp M10S. The ones in the 'My HT' section are from a Thumpered Plus 1100.

Neither worked out hugely successfully, so I'll need to keep practising.

And work is what I'm supposed to be doing right now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump...

No one has any thoughts on budget projectors?

Are there any on the horizon i or anyone else should be looking for? Has anyone compared the Infocus 340/350 to the Nec lt150 or the Thumperized Up-1100?

-Spencer

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently purchased the NEC LT154 from Dell computer. I think it normally sells for approximately $3,600. Dell also has a great warrenty. I am extremely pleased with it. I am not able to compare the two you requested, but I can say the LT154 is great. The link for information on the LT154 is: http://www.nec-pj.com/g3_lt154.htm .

I run it in the econo mode which should give a 2000 hour lamp life. In my room that mode is plenty bright.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find now that it's quite hard to find an up-1100 or DX1 anywhere. I'm not really sure what to look for at this point, though the nec lt150 seems to be a good bet. I definitely will be using a htpc, and the main purpose for this will be to watch dvd movies and perhaps hdtv later on. The ambient light will be heavily controlled. Does anyone have any thoughts on projectors in the 2-3k range? Anyone know where to find an up-1100 or proxima dx1? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Spencer

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer Seung:
...Anyone know where to find an up-1100 or proxima dx1? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Spencer
Call Duane Parsons at R&B 631-698-0786; he may have access to some Plus units.

------------------

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
704 Posts
you might want to check out lcd projector rentals.com . They had a couple of up-1100s last week. Definitely make a low ball offer on the first price that they give, they were willing to negotiate.

I would also recommend searching with google - I found a ton more leads (like the first 4 had units in stock) than any other search engine.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
A great place to visit is www.projectorcentral.com. They seem to be thinking along the same lines of you as far as recommended prjectors. Here's a summary:

You can get the Sanyo PLC-XP21N for about $6,000 off the net ($11,995 retail). Flat out a great projector if you can swing it. Outstanding brightness of 2500 lumens for any lighting situation, 700:1 contrast ratio, great colors, XGA, LCD type.

Next lower price range is the NEC LT150 for about $4200 internet price ($6,999 list). Main thing you are sacraficing is brighness at 800 lumens, but its a DLP type projector. Has great color and smooth image and a high 800:1 contrast ratio for exellant blacks.

Next in line is the NEC VT540. Lowest price currently is $3590, retails $4,995. It's slightly brighter at 1000 lumens, and its contrast ratio is a respectable 400:1, but only has one VGA input for higher definition signals. It's and XGA LCD type projector and the image has a slight pixelation.

Finally, for about $2,800 you could snag up a InFocus LP340. Brightness is very good 1300 lumens and also a very respectable 400:1 contrast ratio. It's a DLP so the pixelation is not noticable, but it does have a lower resolution, being SVGA (800 x 600) and it doesn't accept a 480p signal, but does have an excellent internal line double. It does have a DVI input though which can accept DVD output from a computer to give you the best results.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help. I contacted Duane and he had 2 left, however they were new and thus out of my budget http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I'm looking for a used one to keep within the 2-3k budget. Does that rental place actually sell some of their rental units or something? That nec lt100 seems interesting, but the contrast ratio is like 200:1 (according to projectorcentral) Even with thumper mods, i'm worried that that won't be enough. This is much harder than i originally thought, but i'm sure it'll work out in the end.

-Spencer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also, someone mentioned that the infocus 340 doesn't accept a progressive signal. Isn't the RGB from an HTPC progressive (or better yet, 72hz)?

-Spencer

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Spencer,

Yes, VGA, SVGA and XGA are all progressive, and the Infocus 340 accepts all of those. It also accepts the 720p signal, which is also progressive.

What it does NOT accept is 480P.

Hence, if you have a progressive scan DVD player, it will not work. However, if you have an HTPC that is scaling the DVD to SVGA, say, then it will work.

This is certainly an oddity but that is the way that it is, according to Infocus.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Jonmx,

Current internet price for the LT150 is only $3250 actually. Do a search on www.shopper.com

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm probably posting this one just because I have one myself, but take a look at the Proxima DX3. Take a look at my setup www.klutzoplex.f2s.com to see it compared in size to my old beast Sharpvision.

Very small (under 5 lbs!)

Good picture

Mounts almost anywhere

Good colour

Good price.

There's a fella on Ebay who has sold to a could of AVSers here... He sells them for around 3900 USD or so

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

[This message has been edited by klutzo (edited 06-01-2001).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts