AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without meaning to step on the toes of another thread ( Using Digital Video Essentials on Plasma ) let's ask the question in a nice, simple, straight-forward manner.

Assumptions: you have a plasma (brand new; first one), you have the radio shack SPL meter, you only intend to buy ONE calibration disk and you've never calibrated anything before in your life.

Question: Which do you buy? AVIA, DVE, S&V, other?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I have the VE, DVE, and Avia. I have used all and I think the Avia is the easiest to use, gives decent results for my P50 and additional audio equipment. I later have found it necessary to do some minor video "tweaking" to taste. The Audio portion was fine.

John

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I currently have Avia and have used it many times to calibrate TVs and displays including my Panny plasma. I recently ordered DVE, but it hasn't arrived yet. Avia is very user friendly and will allow you do everything you would ever need to setup your HT except for setting contrast on some digital displays like plasmas. Plasmas in general do not behave in the manner that the Avia contrast test patterns were designed for. It is not clear that DVE has the appropriate test patterns either, but DVE is apparently much less user friendly than Avia. Avia has helpful explanations for using each of its test patterns and has an easily navigable menu system.

Based upon what I have read about DVE and the fact that you are a novice at calibration, I highly recommend Avia. For contrast, use the advice available here to set it to a reasonable level.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, now that I've had my copy of DVE for a couple of weeks, my opinion is the same. If you only want to buy one disk, get Avia. DVE is a bit more difficult to navigate and lacks detailed explanations of how to use the various test patterns. I was disappointed that DVE did not include gray scale window/field patterns in 10IRE steps (only 20IRE steps). I also think that the moving bars and flashing color bars in Avia are easier to use in setting black level and color/tint respectively.

DVE has a few nice features, but IMHO, Avia is still the best general purpose HT calibration disk.

-Steve

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are these calibration discs helpful at all in determining which adjustment you need to tweak in order to achieve the ideal color? So what if it shows you a color curve and it needs adjusting? How does a TV owner know which adjustment in his TV's service menu will address a certain color, contrast or whatever issue the calibration DVD suggests?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sea Ray,

I'm noy sure what you mean by "ideal color". Color (saturation), tint (hue), contrast and brightness are all usually available for adjutment in an accessible user menu and these disks provide instructions for setting them correctly.

In addition to color and tint, the gray scale (or white balance) can have a significant affect on the coloration of the picture, but this is usually not user adjustable outside of the service menu. In most cases, service menu adjustments are necessary for adjusting the gray scale and special measurement equipment is required to set this correctly. One should not change anything in the service menu unless you are sure about what you are doing. It is very easy to mess up a display if some service menu parameters are adjusted incorrectly.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slb
One should not change anything in the service menu unless you are sure about what you are doing. It is very easy to mess up a display if some service menu parameters are adjusted incorrectly.

Regards,

Steve
OK, so these calibration discs are meant to be used only with the user menu and not the service menu?

I guess I don't see why those discs would be of help then. If I can get a nice picture playing with the user menu I wouldn't screw around with it anymore. I'd feel I need a calibration if I was still getting poor colors that the user menu wouldn't address.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sea Ray,

These calibration disks have wealth of video test patterns that can be used to adjust display properties that are only adjustable through the service menu. I only caution you against these kinds of adjustments if you are not well informed about them. Many forum members educate themselves about their display's service menu and the appropriate adjustments here, and then do their own display calibrations. You are welcome to do the same. These disks have patterns to help one adjust sharpness, focus, convergence, geometry, overscan, gray scale and measure display resolution. So their value depends on one's level of interest.

These disks also have test tones for properly settin up a surround sound system.

If you want a basic calibration disk, get the Sound and Vision home theater disk (I forget the exact title). It is a stripped down version of Avia. Don't underestimate the impact of properly setting color, tint, contrast and brightness.

Regards,

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.