AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am wiring my new construction house, want to have ports for ethernet cable at smart TV locations and a few placed through out the house.

Do i go with Cat 5e, Cat 6 or Cat 6a

Can all of these be set to be used as a phone jack to if I run multiple to a jack location?

Usage would be for smart TV to stream netflix, other usage would be for computer for some gaming online and PS4 online gaming to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
For standard network usage, cat-6 cable is more than adequate and comes at an extremely low price jump in comparison to cat-5e.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you go with CAT 6, be sure to use CAT 6 connectors. It's a heavier gauge wire than CAT 5.

I also recommend 6PC connectors for your phones. It will prevent someone from trying to use a LAN cable in a phone jack. Seen it happen. I used to use 2 pair cable for phones. Hardly anyone has more than 2 separate phone lines anymore. CAT Cable has 4 pairs. It makes a neater job because you end up folding back the other 2 unused pairs. If you don't want to buy 2 pair, use the 4 pair. Any how, that's how I used to do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

so there is no need for Cat 6a, just use Cat 6?

Cat 6 is an upgrade from Cat 5E, correct?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am a CI, have been doing this for 9 years. We do large residential HD video distribution systems and Ethernet for automation systems, smart electronics, etc.

I have never seen Cat6a.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antney79  /t/1525681/which-cat-cable#post_24565196

so there is no need for Cat 6a, just use Cat 6?

Cat 6 is an upgrade from Cat 5E, correct?

Thanks for the replies!
Cat 6 is a significant upgrade from cat-5e and is used for 10Gb Ethernet capabilities.

While you can use 6a or 6STP, there really isn't any obvious reason to do so for any runs. There certainly are some cabling advantages, but the same could be said for cat-7 or fiber. At some point you draw the line for how much quality you are asking for in your home setup.

You really want to be serious, then go with fiber.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am building my new house now and my electrician is bringing the new underground electrical service to the new house. When he does this he plans on running the rg6 coax and cat5 cable. If I plan on running cat 6 inside the house does it matter what my electrician puts in or should that be cat 6 too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Why is the electrician putting in cat5? For phone? Or data? I would run multiple cat6 (maybe with some cat5) to each room if possible.

·
Registered
17,939 Posts
^^^^ Yeah, I would just use solid core CAT-6 for everything with 8P8C connectors. Make sure there aren't any bends in the cable and USE CONDUIT! If you don't, you'll be sorry later on if you have to fix/update a cable. And I'd run at least one more cable that you think you need or, at the very least, run a pull-string in the conduit for future cable pulls/repairs.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1525681/which-cat-cable/0_40#post_24602891

^^^^ Yeah, I would just use solid core CAT-6 for everything with 8P8C connectors. Make sure there aren't any bends in the cable and USE CONDUIT! If you don't, you'll be sorry later on if you have to fix/update a cable. And I'd run at least one more cable that you think you need or, at the very least, run a pull-string in the conduit for future cable pulls/repairs.
Run the wires you think you'll need and run an EMPTY conduit for future use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts