AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this question might be best for all the speaker tech's in here. Anyway, I have Canton Ergo22 bookshelves that I have been trying to found the matching center for with no luck. I believe they would be the Canton CM-400 or CM-500. So I think my next best choice is to go which another series of Canton's. I believe that would be the AV-600 or AV-700.

Now here is where I need the help. I have specs for all three Speakers(Ergo22's,AV-600 & AV-700) from the site I'm thinking about ordering from so I don't know how accurate these are.Here they are

Ergo22's:2-way,bass reflex system

70/110 watts

SPL(1 watt/1m)- 87dB

Frequency response- 33.......30.000 Hz

Crossover frequency- 2800 Hz

Woofer- 200mm (8") aluminum-manganese membrane

Tweeter- 25mm (1") Aluminum-manganese

Nominal impedance- 4...8 ohms

Dimensions-(WxHxD)- 8.7"x14.4"x10.9"

Weight-42 lbs

AV-600 center: 2-way, closed system

40/80 watts

SPL(1 watt/1m)- 87.5 dB

Frequency response- 45....30.000 Hz

Crossover frequency- 3.500 Hz

Woofer- 2"x4" cellulose-graphite membrane

Tweeter- 1" aluminum-manganese

Nominal impedance- 4...8 ohms

Dimensions-(WxHxD)- 12.2"x5.1"x6.5"

Weight-3.8kg

AV-700 center: 2-way,bass reflex system

60/100 watts

SPL(1 watt/1m)- 87.5dB

Frequency response- 40....30.000 Hz

Crossover frequency- 3.000 Hz

Woofer- 2"x4" Cellulose-graphite membrane

Tweeter- 1" Aluminum-manganese

Nominal inpedance- 4...8 ohms

Dimensions-(WxHxD)- 17.3"x5.1"x6.5"

Weight-3.8kg

I got these specs from ac4l.com. I'm not sure which of these specs are more important. Which part of these numbers are more important when trying to match them up? Now ac4l.com has the AV-600 for $209 new. The AV-700 is $249 refurb. Which one of these center speakers would match up better with the Ergo22's? Is there another anyone can think that would match better for the price?

Thanks for any help on this everyone.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The best match would be another Ergo22.

Can't offer any more advice than that...

Sorny

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I agree with Sorny. A center channel speaker which is not IDENTICAL to the left and right speakers is a compromise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I called Ac4l.com and Canton and neither would sell me "ONE" Ergo22 bookshelf. I would get killed if I spend $500 for a pair. I need a center so I'm back to one of these. Which one would match better? Would like to know why if possible also.

P.S. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
290 Posts
Okay, I'm going out on a limb... different model numbers, driver complement, crossover frequency, and more. As you can probably imagine, specs on a speaker cannot truly point out how they sound, much less determine whether they're a timbral match for your fronts.

With that said (I'm still perched on my limb), I'd guess that the 700 is a better match for your fronts (in reality, I'd think the 600 and 700 sound almost alike, except the 700 would go a bit lower due to it's cabinet size). It's reassuring the tweeters used in both the Ergo and AV's are the same, but I think it'll be hard to match the mid/woofs of the AV's and the 8" bass driver, simply because they're different sizes AND it seems the center speaker's mid/woofs are not circular. Unfortunately, being that's where the majority of center info is located freq-wise (i.e., vocals), it's of major significance.

But, for the 700's comparable cabinet size, similar bass loading (reflex), lower crossover point, and power handling - I'd pick that model (plus, it's only a few bucks more).

Is there a money back guarantee? Maybe you can audition?

Good luck.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you have the ability to run 6.1? If so, another option would be to buy a pair of the Ergo22's, use one for the center, the other for the rear center? Maybe you won't get killed if you are able to utilize the other speaker??

That's how I rationalize spending more money anyway :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
 Here's a place that has the ergo center you're looking for. All their listed prices are the MSRP which are set a bit high by Canton IMO. Maybe you can get a better price if you give them a call, I've never dealt with this place personally so can't offer any advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.