AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these cases would be best for me?

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...ses/ci6004.asp

Avance ATX / Baby AT # CI-6004B ($69.00 out-of-stock)

Avance ATX / Baby AT # CI-6004BM ($99.00 out-of-stock)

http://www.colorcases.com/cases/cases.html

Goth Desktop ATX # 0906 may be slightly grey? ($58.50 in-stock?)

http://www.directron.com/blackdesktop.html

CompuCase 7109 Charcoal Black ATX Computer Cases w/ 300W PS ($49.99 in-stock) is this grey?

http://servercase.com/cgi-bin/miva....ode=Black+Color

ServerCase CK7106 ATX ($30.00 + PS, etc.)

All I have so far is a hard drive (Western Digital 120 GB).

I want a black ATX or MicroATX desktop case (black+silver is OK too).

I will use an ATI 8500 (or higher) video card.

I will eventually add an HDTV tuner card (not sure which one yet).

Stability strongly desired (I take all crashes personally).

Any suggestions on which case I should get? Any others I should consider? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rick,

Can't answer about the ones you listed, but personally I use the Antec SOHO cases for my office servers and my HTPC. They come with a 350W PS (I've upgraded to 600W) they have a cover over the front bays that's lockable & the case itself is locable. They take up to 4 80mm fans and have space for 4 5.25 external devices 2 3.5 external devices and 3 3.5 internal devices (there's a fan right in front of the internal 3.5 drive cage). Very nice cases. There's a newer version out that puts USB and Firewire ports on the front of the case...

Got mine at CompUSA..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for posting the cases you found. I'm looking for a HTPC case as well. I would love a black DIGN, but can't justify the price. Of the ones you listed, the ColorCase's Goth Desktop ATX looks interesting. I'd like to add a black DVD and a Matrix Orbital display in the second bay (this would allow a larger display than the DIGN). Add a firewire and a couple USB ports to one of the floppy bays. Just not much information or pictures of the case on the ColorCases web page. Anyone have any additional information on this one? I also like picking my own PS for whatever case I get.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey! That Goth case is the Antec KS780B! I didn't know it was available anymore. I have had one of those for a year now, it's a great case. Just so you know, it isn't black, that charcoal grey you see in the picture is a good representation. My Pioneer DVD-106SB is a darker black, but you can't really tell. There was a big initiative to make a custom fascia for this case a while back, I think A Beer was the guy who did the work? It looked pretty nice. I wonder if it's too late to get one? ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rick,

If you are interested in the Digital Connection's black Avance ATX with sound insulation, PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Edit: Sorry, the case was already sold.

Thanks,

Perry

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's frustrating that there really aren't any good cheap black cases available.

Digital Connection seems to be sold out on the Avance case, and there seems to be problems with the proprietary power supply anyway (and it is limited to 300 watts).

I have doubts that ColorCases really has the "Goth Desktop" in stock because Antec doesn't even mention it, and nobody else carries it (plus it is actually grey, not black).

The case at Directron seems to have bad reviews because things don't fit right, and it isn't recommended for beginners (like me!).

I'm tempted to get the server case, but I wish a company I've heard of sold it ... and it really doesn't look much like an HTPC should look (like a large black DVD player or DVD/VCR combo).

Maybe I'll just have to find a white tower and paint it and tip it sideways! (not really what I want to do.)

I'd get a box black and/or silver shaped case (like Shuttle) if I thought it could fit everything inside (but even then, I still don't know which models would work).

I can't afford any of the ~$300.00 custom cases being discussed.

I want to get started on this project, but I can't seem to "think outside the box!" (ie: I want to decide on the case first, to make sure everything will fit correctly.)

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RScogland

Any other ideas?
Give up on having a "pretty" HTPC on display, get a traditional case and put it out of sight.

Probably not what you want to do, but you asked for ideas

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about hiding the HTPC, but if you click the "gallery" link button for me, the pic shows that I have no room beside my HT gear, I can't but it below the TV because small children already torture my regular PC enough, and there is no space behind the HT stuff (the closet will soon be a stairway leading to the basement. The only spot I have is above the TV with my other HT stuff ... there is plenty of room for an ATX desktop (the DVD player in the pic is now gone), enough room for a "Shuttle type" cube between the HT stuff, but there isn't enough room for a tower (which my wife would never go for anyway, visually).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the looks of the Aopen DeskTop ATX Case Model H340D Black w/ front USB 2.0 @ NewEgg when they have them in stock.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rick, I have the Goth Desktop that I purchased from colorcase a few months back. Yes it is more grey than black, but I really don't notice with the lights off. :)

As for the case itself, I really like it. It's well built and suits our needs just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.