AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance if this has been asked before but searching gets so much that does not anwer my question.

I have Comcast service, and I already have 1 HD TV with the DCT 6412 III HD-DVR receiver. I am getting a new HD TV in another room, and want to get the best Comcast HD only receiver (no DVR). Is the DCT 3412 the one to get? Will this allow me to use HDMI to connect to the TV?

Any suggestions would be appreciated on the correct box, and advice on set-up. Does HDMI work OK, or should I use the component connection?

· Banned
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops58 /forum/post/0

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before but searching gets so much that does not anwer my question.

I have Comcast service, and I already have 1 HD TV with the DCT 6412 III HD-DVR receiver. I am getting a new HD TV in another room, and want to get the best Comcast HD only receiver (no DVR). Is the DCT 3412 the one to get? Will this allow me to use HDMI to connect to the TV?

Any suggestions would be appreciated on the correct box, and advice on set-up. Does HDMI work OK, or should I use the component connection?

If your new TV supports QAM you won't need any cable box to receive HD cable programs. In fact, you won't even have to purchase the digital or HD package to receive network HD programs (e.g. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX etc.).

QAM tuners can be likened to the cable equivalent of an ATSC tuner which is required to receive over-the-air (OTA) digital channels broadcast by local television stations. Many new digital televisions contain both and are labeled "with ATSC/QAM Tuner". Unlike the case with ATSC tuners there is no FCC requirement that QAM tuners be included in new television sets.

QAM-based HD programming of local network stations was available with my $9/mo. Comcast 'basic' analog cable service. Note: Because they want you to buy additional services, the availability of QAM HD programming is rarely described or publicized in cable company product literature (however, I did find it on their Web site). I believe by law, they have to provide QAM-based HD programming with their basic service offering.

In the end, I dropped cable all together because I found that HD OTA reception was superior to COMCAST (they compress HD programming and lose some of the hi-fi).

· Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serndipity /forum/post/0

If your new TV supports QAM you won't need any cable box to receive HD cable programs. In fact, you won't even have to purchase the digital or HD package to receive network HD programs (e.g. NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX etc.).

Yes, he should be able to get the local HD broadcast stations as they should be unscrambled with a QAM tuner. However, the national HD cable channels - ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, Discovery-HD, Universal-HD and so on - are very likely to be scrambled and will require a cable STB or TV with a cable card to receive. He may want to get those channels.

Coops58, you have to check with your local Comcast system to see what they provide for HD STBs in your area. The odds are that they will give you whatever they have in stock. If you go to the office, you may be to talk them into giving a more recent STB. Ask for a STB with a HDMI port. Whether the HDMI will look noticeably better than component depends on the equipment. Some people can't see a difference so they stick with component because of copy protection flag sync problems, some see a better picture with HDMI. You have to compare the two for a variety of SD and HD channels and decide which connection works best for you.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

I remember when I was reading the forum on this issue many months ago when I was getting my first HD cable box with DVR, it was clear I should get the 6412 III vs. the earlier model. I remember at that time the HDMI-HCCP problems existed, but I never tried to compare the picture with component.

For this next box without the DVR, I figure it is best to get the model with HDMI and have the option for either connection type. At this time, it appears for Comcast this is the 3412 model. Is there an updated version of this model (like the 6412's III)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.