Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...

Should a subs volume be turned up on the sub itself and not as much on the receiver...or should the volume be a bit down and be set to a higher output from the receiver?

Is one of these more desireable than the other?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I have both of my subs turned up half way and I let my avr control the volume then after I do that I finish the final calibrations with an spl meter and adjust the volume manually on both subs to make sure they match. Lou

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Should a subs volume be turned up on the sub itself and not as much on the receiver...or should the volume be a bit down and be set to a higher output from the receiver?

Is one of these more desireable than the other?
It's best to run the sub's input high and the receiver's sub output low. This cuts down on possible distortion introduced by the receiver's output stage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
It's best to run the sub's input high and the receiver's sub output low. This cuts down on possible distortion introduced by the receiver's output stage.
That's a little confusing. The sub's input IS the receiver's sub output, isn't it?

Did you mean that he should keep the receiver output low (minimizing distortion), and use the volume control (or sub OUTPUT) to control the sub volume level? That would make sense to me, although it would put more strain on the sub amp.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRebel
That's a little confusing. The sub's input IS the receiver's sub output, isn't it?

Did you mean that he should keep the receiver output low (minimizing distortion), and use the volume control (or sub OUTPUT) to control the sub volume level? That would make sense to me, although it would put more strain on the sub amp.

The strain on the subwoofer is the same in either case.

Set your receiver's subwoofer output to around -5dB.

Then adjust the subwoofer volume control to get the subwoofer in the correct ballpark calibration wise.

Fine tune the final 1db at the subwoofer output control located in the receiver.

All this gives you is a bit more range in the receiver so the digital subwoofer signal will not be clipped.

If you want to calibrate near 0dB, that is just fine also. What you do not want to see is the subwoofer level in the receiver set to near the high limit (10 dB in my receiver). You may clip at times on a digital basis if you use that setting.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
No. The sub has an input level control (an attenuator, really), the receiver has a subwoofer output level. As JPC explained, the final output of the sub is the same, but you'll have less chance of getting distortion at the recevier's sub-out stage by running it low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.