AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to which connection is better for HDTV, DVI or Component? I would think DVI, but not totally sure. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
In theory HDMI could be better than DVI and both of them should be better than Component since they are digital and component is analog.

But in reality very few people can see any difference between any of them...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I just got Bright House digital cable in Florida, and I amazed at how clear the college football game looked last night. The main reason why I am asking is because I don't HDMI on my tv and only have to component inputs, and 1 DVI. So I wanted to free up a component input for my dvd player and my X360.

·
Registered
771 Posts
There's no diff in video quality between dvi and hdmi. Both are digital, hdmi carries audio too.

As to which gives the best picture, it would really require testing. If you don't want to go to the bother of comparing- if my set only had one dvi and one component, I would do cable tv over dvi and dvd over component. If you use the tv mostly for watching movies then I would swap that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I beleive that the source device will have alot to do with which is better. if the source device has really good Component and just through in DVI and or HDMI as a last minute thought then Component will be better. If all paths are given the same specs and parts used are equal for all three then HDMI, DVI and then component. HDMI is cabable of higher Bitrate then DVI but I don't know if any source out there can take advantage of that yet. HDMI also has sound and DVI does not like was mentioned above.

The main thing to remember is that just because a device has DVI or HDMI does not mean that it will garuntee a better picture than component. If cheap parts are used for DVI and HDMI and good parts for component then component will look better. HDMI and DVI should be better than component but try the component and compare it to the DVI or HDMI and see which one you like best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.