AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my home theater all set up (Infocus 5700 119" 16:9 screen). I am now looking at getting a game console to play on the big screen. :D

I will mostly be playing it solo, so my main interest is in RPGs. However, I would like good support for 5.1 surround and 16:9 AR.

From what I've read here so far it looks like the PS2 is the best console for RPGs, but the XBox would be the best for 5.1 and 16:9 ARs (including HD resolutions, 720p, and 1080i, drool).

So, my question is, does the XBox have enough good RPGs, or do the PS2 RPGs support enough of the features I'm looking for?

Do any of the current consoles have a Digital signal out? (DVI?). What is the best output they have, component?

Also on a side note, which company has the best wireless controllers? The console will be about 20 feet behind me, so a wireless control is a must......

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I'd say flip a coin, but it would land on it's edge on this one. ;)

Once it's on it's edge, I guess I'd suggest blowing on it

in favor of the xbox.

No consoles have DVI connections yet.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I guess I should have explained more of my reasoning.

Software is being developed all the time. Even if there

is less RPG availability now, new games will always be coming

along. The hardware is much more fixed. There's no chance

that any PS2 console you bought would suddenly gain the ability

to deliver superior PQ to your home theater set-up in the future.

Make sense?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, makes perfect sense, and that is kind of what I was thinking.

Thanks for the quick response!

Any comments from anyone on wireless controllers for the xbox then? Is one manufacturer better than the other?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
It's really a tough call on which to recommend for you. All 3 consoles have some nice advantages:

PS2: Definitely a console that not only has the most AAA games but also has the most selection for quality RPG games.

Does have component cables for the system, although most games are still only in 480i while only a few are 480p. It also has optical out for audio, but again, most games are just in stereo while some do DTS.

XBOX: Most games are in 480p through component video and it supports in game DD5.1. There are a few games that are in HD as well. However, pickins are slim in the RPG market.

Gamecube: Support 480p in a lot of Nintendo games through component cables. Only analog audio out(via RCA plugs) but many games support Pro Logic 2. Nintendo has BY FAR the best wireless controller called the Wavebird. Uses RF and works great. RPGs are also slim on the Gamecube at the moment, but a few big ones are coming out in 2004. Also, you'll have access to the exclusive Nintendo franchises, if those are of any interest to you.

Feel free to get more specific on what's REALLY important to you and I think we'll be able to recommend what console would be best for you.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the picture quality is probably the most important. Even if there aren't ALOT of RPGs for the Xbox, one or two good ones (Knight of the old republic?) should keep me occupied for a long time. I don't think I'll be playing more than 10 hours a week.

Are either the GC or PS2 capable of outputting 720p/1080i?

Are the wireless controllers for the Xbox RF? Are they acceptable?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Ok then......XBOX does offer the best picture quality of the 3. Although KOTOR doesn't really push the XBOX in terms of graphics. Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT RPG(one of the best out there) but the graphics could've been better.

No, GC and PS2 can output in 480p max. If 1080i and 720p are important to you, then XBOX is your only choice.

There are RF XBOX wireless controllers. I've heard decent things about the Logitech ones and I know there are a few others out there. All of the XBOX wireless controllers are made by 3rd party companies, so the controllers don't have as good a feel to them as the M$ ones do.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help. The 720p/1080i is important. So it does look like I'll buy the best Hardware, and wait for the software to catch up. I'm sure I can find enought titles to keep me busy :)

So, since this is my own thread, I won't feel bad about hi-jacking it......what other RPGs are out there for the Xbox? I know about KOTOR, are there any decent ones, that are more of a D&D/Fantasy theme?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
I will mostly be playing it solo, so my main interest is in RPGs.
My personal opinion is that you buy the console that has the games you really want to play. I don't see the use for one that doesn't.

Go to a game site that lists all the games on all consoles in your favorite game categories (i.e. gamerankings.com) and go from there.
Quote:
Even if there is less RPG availability now, new games will always be coming along. The hardware is much more fixed. There's no chance that any PS2 console you bought would suddenly gain the ability to deliver superior PQ to your home theater set-up in the future. Make sense?
Well, it won't be of much use if they don't put out your favorite games on that system in the first place. Don't buy your system based on promises or vapourware. You'll only be happy with the bells and whistles for a short while, then you'll want the games you can't have.

Shawn

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Good point Shawn. Best thing you can do is find out which games you want to play and buy the machine that has most of them. Resolution and graphical power are all well and good, but if you don't like most of the games on a particular console, then it'll just sit and collect dust.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Shawn and dschroll make very good points. The worst thing you can do is make your choice based upon the spec sheet or hype. Of the three systems I believe that the Gamecube has the most "must have" games. Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero (could be the best looking game on any system), Starfox Adventures to just name a few. Between me and my housemates we have all three systems in the house and play the gamecube the most. KOTOR is a great game and probably worth the price of the Xbox alone. Morrowind is another RPG for Xbox worth getting, especially since you can get it under $20 now.

Jason

·
Registered
77 Posts
Definitely an Xbox, and I own them all. Eventually you'll probably venture out into the world of online gaming and Xbox wins that battle hands down. I refuse to bash any of them because they all do what they were designed to do very well. I think MS got this one right (I'm definitely not a MS fanboy so I'm not really sure how they did it!)

Wireless controllers is a gotcha. The best one out there is definitely the Wavebird - Only available for Nintendo!. Logitech makes one for the Xbox which is very good but a little pricey. I sit about 15 feet from my Xbox and have opted for the cable extenders. You can link multiple ones together if necessary. They are about $6 each.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have both PS2 and Xbox, and for the best bang for the buck, I would go Xbox, mostly because they are finally porting GTA3/VC over to it very soon. That was the only reason I bought a PS2 first was for this game. I will be picking up NHL2004 for the Xbox this year, I had been getting them on PS2 up until now, but I I really want to try it in real 5 channel DD instead of the 4.0 DTS on PS2. I think the Xbox has finally toppled sony as king of the console hill. Now give us GTA-Live online!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What makes the Wavebird so great? Does it have better range than the logitech? Or is it the ergonomics?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seems to me that in a front-project system, you wouldn't need wireless controllers. In my own setup, the projector and Gamecube sit right between to my two sofas. That puts me 12-15' from my 119" 16x9 screen. It looks great.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my situation I sit about 20' away from where I will put the Xbox, I could survice with wires, even if I use extensions, but I just don't want to have to deal with the wires being in the way all the time (they would drape over, or go under the back two rows of seating).

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I wouldn't get xbox for 720 or 1080i as very few games support it and probably not that many in the future will as it pushes its capabilities a bit too far for most games. Only 1 game is in true 1080i and that is Dragon's lair.. there are a few sports games in 720p but 99 percent of xbox games are 480p and it will probably stay that way.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
well the X-mas bundle is about to hit too so good timing ;) .

$179.95 for the console , 2 games , and 2 month trial of Xbox Live .

--- Jason

·
Registered
115 Posts
i like xbox the best of the 3 but the ps2 has the best selection of rpg's right now. The xbox has an awesome one right now (star wars KOTOR)and some really interesting ones in the future including fable , sudeki, and true fantasy online.... As for as graphics and 5.1 support go, xbox wins hands down while gamecube has the best wireless controller (wavebird). So basically you have to choose what is most important to you.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Gamecube will be $99 by the end of September.

The Wavebird is made by Nintendo, so the feel of the controller is spot on because it feels exactly like the regular controller. It's very light weight and it uses 2 AA batteries which gets you about 50+ hours of play time. I own all of the consoles and I actually tend to buy most multiplatform games for the Gamecube because the wavebird is so good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.