AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here...We have a now-ancient Novabeam projector in our basement. It has really been a well-loved machine, but the humidity in the basement seems to wreak havoc on the convergence. Now that I'm in the market for a nice used CRT (anybody have one in the Boston area that they are getting rid of?) would anyone care to comment on CRTs that they found particularly easy to converge. Are all the digital convergence models easy to work with. Huge thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
General consensus from what I've read on this forum is the easiest CRT to learn/setup/coverge are the Electohome Marquee's

·
Registered
359 Posts
second vote for ehome - I've only ever owned two pj's NEC and ehome and the ehome was by far the easiest to learn on and set-up. but that doesn't mean that the NEC was hard - it just took a bit longer (I wouldn't let this influence your decision on a purchase) buy the best you can afford regardless of learning curve.

cheers

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I like my Barco, and its my first. Never seen an ehome up close, but the Barco has a pretty easy menu system (Bacco 800 and 808). Plus, if you have to open the machine up for any reason, the Barcos have lots of space inside within which to work, unlike the NECs or ehome photos I've seen.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ampro projectors are fairly easy to set up and converge. They were located near you until they went out of business. Some of the formar Ampro employees formed Elite Video, which has taken up all the service and support duties for the Ampro line of projectors as well as the Novabeam projectors. They currently sell new and B-stock Ampro projectors. They are located in Woburn.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I think all of the newer (>1994 or so) digital chassis projectors would be pretty easy to converge, and if not stressed too hard, will hold convergence pretty well. Although a humid basement may still give the newer stuff fits too...

My 808 has held convergence pretty well since August. Haven't opened the convergence controls in that long. Getting to be around time for another try at the "Holy Focus, Guy Kuo" thread though. :D

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Wow, I'm jealous.

My Ampro needs touch-up about 2-3 times a night...

·
Registered
345 Posts
2-3 times a night?

Crikey man, get a new PJ!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
IN order:

Barco

E'home

Sony/AmPro

then...

way...

down...

here...

NEC and Zenith

:)

Curt

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pasey25
2-3 times a night?

Crikey man, get a new PJ!
That IS my new projector!

Nothing major, just need to nudge red and blue a little.

Next day it needs minor touchups after warmup.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I'm thinking it may be the magnetic influence of my Davis DLP projector mounted 1 foot behind it...

Maybe?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
EASIEST hands down is Electrohome Marquee with ACON . The pj does all the work. Just wait, its done, and accurate, I was amazed the first time, I thought to myself "Every projector should have one of these thingys on it ". NEC's are not easy, but if your physical setup is good and it has been setup originally (yokes and magnetics) well, I can actually do an NEC faster than a Marquee without ACON. Once you get used to the NEC dynamic convergence, and know the easiest order to do it, I find, because it acts on a greater percentage of the screen with every adjustment, that I can actually converge an NEC in less time than the zone convergence schemes like Electrohome and Barco.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.