AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a D-ILA projector, but I need it to be 16x9, provided that I will use it 95% for DVD playback on a 16x9 screen. I can't find one D-ILA projector tha does 16x9. Is there a limitation on the D-ILA that it will only does 4x3? If not, can you please indicate me a projector that does 16x9?

·
Registered
457 Posts
As far as I know, all of the D-ILA based projectors do, indeed, implement an actual 4:3 panel. However, that does not mean that they cannot display a perfect 16:9 signal.

In fact, even if you throw away the unused top and bottom rows of pixels, you still have more pixels (and next-to-nothing screendoor) than with most other LCD or DLP projectors.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Yes - ALL the D-ILAs are native 4:3 projectors.

If you want 16:9, you have 2 choices - use a 16:9 subset of the native pixels - which of course means

that you are not using all the pixels.

Or, if you want to use all the pixels, then add an anamorphic lens to the native 4:3 D-ILA to make

effectively a 16:9 projector.

Greg

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
All DILAs will do 1.78 (16x9) right out of the box with a HTPC and PowerStrip . I run my G11 at 1360x768 @ 75hz projecting on to a 1.78 screen. This cuts off the bottom 256 lines of the DILA panel. However even with this limitation it equals or betters any true 1.78 projector on the market.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is Dilard required to have the bottom 256 lines cut off, rather than 128 off the top and 128 off the bottom?

Thanks-

Dave

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave W
Is Dilard required to have the bottom 256 lines cut off, rather than 128 off the top and 128 off the bottom?

Thanks-

Dave
No

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just got my first HTPC so I can use Powerstrip to set the 1360x768 @ 75hz resolution. I still have some questions, though:

1. What setup will give me the best picture quality: the DILA projector with the anamorphic lens or the DILA subseted to 16x9?

2. Futhermore, what is better: the DILA with one of the options above or a DLP with 16x9 native resolution?

3. Even with all these "limitations", the DILA still the best option (besides the CRT which are too expensive)?

Can anyone indicate me the best options for a DILA projector (for using with my HTPC). I've heard the biggest problems were that they are noisy and pricey.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
flavioleoni,

The D-ILA with the anamorphic lens will be better than one that only uses some of the pixels.

The one with the anamorphic lens will be using more pixels and hence give a smoother picture.

It will also be brighter since it is using all the pixels - it can project the full light output of

the projector. If you use a subset - you have about 25% of your pixels "projecting" black.

It won't have the "halo" due to the "black" pixels - light from all the pixels is targeted onto the

active area of the screen.

The D-ILA's native resolution is high enough so that even if you throw away some resolution - it

can still best or equal most DLP resolutions.

The D-ILA has two big drawbacks - both related to the D-ILA's use of a Xenon arc lamp. One is the

expense of the bulb which has an operating cost of about $0.75 to $1.00 per hour of operation.

The other is the heat and hence cooling fan noise of the D-ILA. [ On the plus sign - the high temperature

bulb makes for rich colors.]

If you have a way to deal with the heat and noise like a hushbox, or behind the wall mounting; and

if the high lamp costs are withing your budget, then if you are willing to feed it a native resolution

signal, as from an HTPC - the D-ILA is hard to beat.

Greg

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Greg,

I have a dedicated HT room, so I can easly isolate the noise of the projector behind the viewers. I guess I'll go with the DILA - Anamorphic lens combo. Can someone give me some suggestions on such equipment?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please I need suggestions for a good DILA projector. What are you using? Where can I start looking for them? I'm thinking on spending like 15K...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
For $15K you can get a JVC G15U [ about $9K / $10K ], an anamorphic lens - Panamorph or ISCO II [ $1.5K ]

[ Panamorph is only in early phase of production so it would entail a wait - lots of threads on this

forum about the Panamorph ], and then you can get a good HTPC for about $2.5K - or about $13K/$14K total.

That would be my recommendation.

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.