AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Ascend 340 (x3) and 170 (x2), would a Denon 2307 be ok, or do I need a 2807?

If 2807 is not needed, would I gain anything with it sonically or feature-wise, that you have found to be worthwhile?

Going with an Authorized Dealer, I will probably be paying MSRP, but I will have to see if they will offer a better price.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/0

For Ascend 340 (x3) and 170 (x2), would a Denon 2307 be ok, or do I need a 2807?

If 2807 is not needed, would I gain anything with it sonically or feature-wise, that you have found to be worthwhile?

Going with an Authorized Dealer, I will probably be paying MSRP, but I will have to see if they will offer a better price.

Denon AVR-987 is exact same receiver as AVR-2807 and J&R had very good price on it. You will have to call them for the price though.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have the same Ascend setup. I went from a Denon 1803 to a Pannasonic XR55.

The Panny just sounded better, more detail and could play a lot louder without distortion. Of course that particular Denon doesn't have that much power.

Now I've changed over to an HK 240. My listening room has brick walls on 3 sides and the Panny is a bit bright (so was the Denon).

The HK sounds superb with the Ascends (just like they say in the Ascend forums).

I also briefly had the Emotiva $900 combo pre/pro and amp.

They could play a lot louder than HK w/o distortion, but I would hardly ever play it that loud and the Emotiva pre/pro had issues.

The BIG problem with the HK is build quality. Pretty muck (un)luck of the draw.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Don't know if this helps you any, but I've got Ascend 340SE's on the LCR and Ascend 170SE's on the Surrounds and the Back's. I've been running them off a Denon 4306. I tried the lower end Panny last year and then bumped it up to the VX1600 for HDMI. It was good, but it was bright to my ears. When I read about that receiver's ability to passthrough only 1080i, I took it back and went for the Denon based on a lot of reviews that said the 4306 could passthrough 1080p. That it had three HDMI's at the time (being one of the few that did) was enough for me.

Imagine my surprise when I found it suited the Ascends very well to my ears. I wouldn't call the Denon I have (or have heard (4806, 3806)) bright. I've read in many places, though, that the Panny digital receivers are very bright.

So I'd say Denon+Ascend is a nice combo, but I've not heard the receiver you're specifically asking about. There could very well be a difference in how warm/bright sounding it is.

Like I said, I don't know if this helps or not.

EDIT:

At least for me, I've found noticable sonic improvement in clarity and precision as you spend more money, but as with most things the improvements grow more miniscule as you go up the dollar chain. For me, the buck stopped at 2k.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the thoughts.

I was going to go with J&R, but I read they aren't quite as reliable as some other vendors.

I would go with the HK directly from Ascend, but as was said, the reliability factor is why I probably won't go HK.

AFAIK, there is no brightness/warmth difference between Denons.

Actually, I didn't ask if I should go with Denon, just which one
; but, now I am happpy to hear form more people that it works well with Ascend.

(I had read of this combo from a few others, before.)

Denon is probably more reliable than HK, but the customer service advantage goes to HK; something to consider, but I think I will go Denon, unless there are other brand suggestions.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Look at HK's refurbs. I got a 240 ($800 retail) for $250 or so from their Harmanaudio store, not the website of that name, but the "store" on ebay. It works and sounds very good with my Ascend 340SEs. And in measurements taken in S&V mag(?), it puts out about the same amount of power as the 100w x 6 (6ohm) Panasonic digital receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.