AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to spend about $7k for something (not including screen/processor) for a 120-133" wide image.

What are my choices that will do that well?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
InFocus 7205.

I have the 7200 with an 133" screen of sweet HDTV goodnes! :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
With that big a pic you'll need a pot of gold at the end of the .....

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I am using an Epson Cinema 500 with a 120" wide Screen Research ClearPix2 screen (0.95 gain). I run the projector in normal colour mode with the lamp set to high. This gives adequate brightness in my dark home theater. The SDE is a bit of a problem, but is largely mitigated when I use my Panamorph (used only for 2.35 source material which is mostly what I watch).

·
Registered
8 Posts
For that price, the Infocus or something from the Sharp family will do fine.

3-Chips will definitely run you out of your price range. I think the DILA's would too, correct? I'm not sure what they're running these days.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm using a SP7200 with a 10' wide (120" x 67.5") Stewart Firehawk. Spectacular image. No pixellation. Couldn't be happier.

htomei

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Sound
For that price, the Infocus or something from the Sharp family will do fine.

3-Chips will definitely run you out of your price range. I think the DILA's would too, correct? I'm not sure what they're running these days.
I was thinking JVC HX-1 may be in reach...

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you get the HX1 for a 10 foot wide screen, better make it a high gain screen or you wont like the brightness. I think my 1.4 gain screen at 8 feet wide will be just right especially after the bulb gets older. The HX1 only makes 800 lumens uncalibrated and 500 lumens calibrated new and only goes down from there.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MMan
Do you see much pixelation at that width? How far do you sit from the screen?
We seat at 15' and there's no pixellation.

You can see pixels at about 10' but that's 45 degrees of field (i.e. too close)

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
Quote:
What about 3 chip LCD or DILA?

JVC HX-1?
At this time the HX-1 & HX-2 are coming close to that territory, probably better in the HX-1 but it is becoming scarce. 1400x788 res also makes a difference at the larger size, but light control is very important. Ran an HX-1 on a silverstar screen and it was fantastic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
At this time the HX-1 & HX-2 are coming close to that territory, probably better in the HX-1 but it is becoming scarce. 1400x788 res also makes a difference at the larger size, but light control is very important. Ran an HX-1 on a silverstar screen and it was fantastic.
What size silverstar?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
get 3 chip LCOS

look at this new Canon XEED SX50

revolutionary

·
Registered
140 Posts
With a 10' wide Stewart FireHawk screen, my first D-ILA (G10) really suffered on dark scenes, but my next projector (G15) offered plenty of brightness and I've been very happy with my current machine (G150) -- even with the extended lamp life mode (which initially drops the output to 70% and gradually ramps up to 100% as the bulb starts to age).

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
Quote:
What size silverstar?
123"

Great screen & combo with the HX. There are detrractors but the screen foru8m is a good place for research. I sit pretty close to get immersed.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
The canon & good screen will probably ring you in under budget, the last ingredient you'll need (to take advantage of the SX era 4:3 resolution (evolutionary, just cheaper), is a good anamorphic lens. You may still hit w/in your $ target.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.