AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use a Diplexor with my Dish setup. Just by chance I had in a drawer two crappy Radioshack Diplexors so I tried those. If I just have one dish going into the Diplexor & my Antenna in the other input, then into the house & un-diplexed with the 2nd Diplexor, it works just fine. The problem is that I have one Dish 500 hitting the 119 & 110 & the other Dish hitting 61.5 so those go into a SW21 first. Putting that signal in the Diplexor (after the SW21) along with the antenna, causes the Diplexor not to work as my Dish 6000 will not see the switches thus can't see the Sats. I tested it with just the 61.5 dish without the switch & it works. I also tested it with the Dish 500 & it does not work as the 500 has an internal SW21's.

I called Dish Network & they said that it should work so it must be that the Radioshack Diplexors are not good enough quality. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what brand of Diplexor I should use & where to get them.

Thanks.

-Todd

PS - I know using the diplexor isn't as good as just running more cable, but I'm trying to avoid having to do that if signal strength is adequate.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If you want to use a pair of Diplexors, put them both BETWEEN your receiver and your SW21 (reciever-diplexor-diplexor/antenna-SW21). Or, put them both between your SW21 and your dish (receiver-SW21-diplexor-diplexor-dish/antenna) . Just don't put one on 1 side of the SW21 and the other on the other side - ie. don't do this - diplexor - SW21 - diplexor .

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't do it that way (diplexor-SW21-Diplexor). I had it correct much like your 1st example. I can't do it receiver-SW21-diplexor-diplexor-dish/antenna as my whole goal is to bring in two dishes & the antenna through 1 cable instead of two so this setup would require the cables to already be in the house. I have both a Dish 6000 & a 7200 & I only have 2 cables coming inside because I only had the 6000 at the time of installation. My 7200 is taken care of with one of the cables coming in (dish 500 & single dish into an SW21 then into the house). For the 6000, I need to squeeze the 2 dishes & antenna in the remaining cable. Here is how I did it step by step:

Dish 500 into an SW21. 2nd Dish pointed at 61.5 into the 2nd input of the SW-21. SW-21 output into one side of the Diplexor. Antenna into the other side of the Diplexor. Cable out of the diplexor & into the house. Cable into 2nd diplexor inside the house. Cable from Antenna side of diplexor into OTA cartride where the antenna goes, cable from Sat. side into the 6000 Sat. input.

According to my buddy who works at a high end Audio/Video store in Cleveland & according to Dish Network, that is the correct configuration. So again, it must be my Radioshack diplexors that are the trouble?? If I get high-end diplexors, I'm hoping that will fix the problem.

Let me know.

-Todd

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I would agree with your buddy - get the $20 each (instead of the $4 each) diplexors and it should work as you intended. Otherwise, your wiring setup sounds correct. I would also check that Sat goes into/from the correct port on the diplexor as well as the antenna feed. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.