AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which DirectTV decoder to buy. I already have the oval dish hooked up with both satellites coming in strong. Now I just an HDTV decoder/receiver.

The receiver is going to be hooked up to an NEC LT150 projector. So I need whichever HDTV receiver will put out component output which will look good on the LT150.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Many are waiting for (and some have received) the new Zenith DTV1080 receiver. There are 2 other current threads about it and its features.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you want the best picture quality and most flexible 4:3 material re-formatting modes on analog material than the Zenith is definitely the best HDTV Receiver. Also, if you have OTA digital reception problems, the Zenith may improve your situation with its third generation tuner. However, if you only want to watch HDTV and have good digital reception you may be fine with your current receiver. I outline many advantages of the Zenith DTV 1080 in this other thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=91558

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the RCA DTC-100 and the LT150. They work well together! However, you do not have Hue and Color Saturation when connected via the VGA connector and the saturation is just a little low. Using a VGA to Component converter may help. I have not tried one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also have the DTC-100 and have no problems with it. Good cheap decoder.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i had two dtc100s and got rid of them both ill never use them again. i replaced them with two Misti HD-400s and i couldnt be any happier plus UNLIKE the rca with the misti for watching local antenna stuff you dont have to switch sources just press in the channel.. only down side there is only one input for an antenna instead of two like on the dtc100

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the Mits SR-HD5 and a couple of DTC-100s and a TU-DST50W. I have no problems with the DTC-100s. The Mits guide looks better but it is slow. The Mits has a better OTA tuner but runs hot. The DTC100 is VGA out so you might need the transcoder for your application which adds cost and the DTC-100 has fan which bothers some. The best bang for the buck new is the Toshiba which you can buy for $450 from Video Only and from what I have been told is identical to the Mits.

You need the TuDST50W if you want to record HD satellite from Dish.

Good Luck

Rick

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just bought a second DTC-100 from Best Buy for $300. I have had a DTC -100 for almost two years and when my Sony B2 died I decided to buy another DTC-100.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am almost tempted to switch to DishNetwork from DirecTV. I totally want to be able to record the signal on my PC and it doesn't look like this is possible with DirecTV. But I already have all this money invested in non-hd DirecTV equipment.

Wezar, it sounds like you have used both, which one is better for HDTV?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I totally want to be able to record the signal on my PC and it doesn't look like this is possible with DirecTV.
It's only possible on Dish with the discontinued model 5000 and the HD modulator add-on. They are around $1,500 on Ebay.

-Robert

·
Registered
957 Posts
rlj5242 is right on the price issue. I got lucky when I picked up my stuff last spring. Right now if I were you I would probably go with Directv. I also have a bunch of Directv Hardware which we use throughout the house. Showtime HD on Dish is not as good as having HDnet on DirecTV in my opinion. Of course if you cannot get CBS OTA hd it is available on Dish.

Rick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't know dish had a CBS HD channel, it is sounding better and better. HDNet doesn't excite me that much because it is mostly sports.

Do you know the HD channel linup on dish and DirecTV? Their web sites don't say all that much.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dish has HBO, Showtime, CBS if you can get a waiver and a payper view channel.

DirecTV has HBO, and Channel 199 which is split between HDnet and Pay per view.

Being a new subscriber you could get a good deal on a Dish 6000 and installation (if you needed it)

Check out Titan TV they have a good local guide for digital viewing.

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/index.asp?viewMainPage=yes

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.