AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Panny 42"ED7UY plasma and thought I was getting the Dish Network (only satellite with local channels in my area), but the installer could not get a straight shot to their satellite due to too many trees. He did say that he thought we could receive Direct TV so now I am trying to decide on the right Directv/HD reciever for me. I have seen ones made by Hughes, Sony, and Samsung. Is one better than the other? Are there others that I should also consider?

The receiver must be able to also receive OTA HD and SD signals since the Panny has no tuner. It must have component outputs. Any help and comparisons between the different brands would be very helpful.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Just curious, your TV has no HDMI or DVI inputs?

As for a receiver, any of the current HD models will fit your needs, I have a Hughes HTL-HD myself which is physically the same as the LG 3200A and the Sony HD-300 minus a few features and I've been happy with it.

· Registered
10,880 Posts
See DirecTV's Web Site for a great deal on HD for new customers.
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/hdfalloffer_500.html

You can order a system online or buy locally and get $100 off. If you buy locally from Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the box for a different one if you're not satisfied.

All DirecTV HD boxes have built in analog/digital OTA tuners for OTA broadcasts. Just add an antenna.

· Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
See DirecTV's Web Site for a great deal on HD for new customers.
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/hdfalloffer_500.html

You can order a system online or buy locally and get $100 off. If you buy locally from Best Buy or Circuit City, you can return the box for a different one if you're not satisfied.

All DirecTV HD boxes have built in analog/digital OTA tuners for OTA broadcasts. Just add an antenna.
Be sure to check the note at the bottom that says $999 and above. Looks like this only applies to receivers in this price range.

· Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickwil61
Be sure to check the note at the bottom that says $999 and above. Looks like this only applies to receivers in this price range.
OUCH, I didn't see that. Actually, it says the $100 credit applies toward a STB only if you also buy a Samsung HD Television costing $999 or more... :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.