AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clumsy attempts at installing a two-dish DISH 6000 HDTV satellite dish system failed miserably, so I'm paying a local installer to finish the job for me.

I bought a DISH 6022 system which came with a DISH 500 dish and an SW21 switch. For the second dish I am going to reuse an existing Sony 18" DirecTV dish (which will need to be repointed, of course). My questions so I will know exactly what to tell the installer to do:
  • Which satellite (61.5 or 148) do I use for the DISH HDTV channels? I have been following a thread in this forum where some members are complaining about problems on 61.5, but I want to be sure that 148 is a good alternative for me here on the East coast (is 148 the West coast satellite?).
  • Which satellite (110 or 119) do I use for the DISH SDTV channels? Again, I need to know which dish is the optimum one to use from here on the East coast.
  • Which rooftop dish do I use for the HDTV channels, the new DISH 500 or the old Sony 18" dish? My intuition is to use the new dish for the HDTV satellite (61.5 or 148) and to use the old 18" dish for the SDTV satellite (110 or 119), but if there is some reason to do it differently I need to know it.

Thanks!

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 05-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:

Which satellite (61.5 or 148) do I use for the DISH HDTV channels? I have been following a thread in this forum where some members are complaining about problems on 61.5, but I want to be sure that 148 is a good alternative for me here on the East coast (is 148 the West coast satellite?).

Either satellite will do, but I believe you'll have a harder time getting 148° from the East coast. Not impossible, but I do believe it is intended for those on the West coast.

Quote:
Which satellite (110 or 119) do I use for the DISH SDTV channels? Again, I need to know which dish is the optimum one to use from here on the East coast.
You'll actually be using both satellites. See below...

Quote:
Which rooftop dish do I use for the HDTV channels, the new DISH 500 or the old Sony 18" dish? My intuition is to use the new dish for the HDTV satellite (61.5 or 148) and to use the old 18" dish for the SDTV satellite (110 or 119), but if there is some reason to do it differently I need to know it.
Point your old Sony to 61.5° for the HD channels. The DISH500 is an elliptical dish which will pick up both the 110° and 119° satellites. Most of DISH's core programmiing is at 119°, but if you want either the AT150 or Everything Paks you will need to see both. It's really not an issue, though, since your getting the DISH500 anyway.

Depending on how many receivers you are installing you may need an additional switch. You can take a look at the Dishnetwork Installation Diagrams for additional information.

Good luck with the install!

Chip

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yikes! This makes my brain hurt. Someone help me understand this.

In order to receive Dish Network HDTV programming, do you really need 2 dishes and 3 LNBs?? Do you need the 500 (with dual LNBs pointed at 110 and 119) AND a secondary Dish pointed at 61.5?

Is there not a simpler way to achieve this? Seems kind of kludgey.

Steve R

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes to receive all available programing you need three dishes

,but you can used just one SW-21 switch if you have the right

dish. When the quad LBN comes out you should be able to get

everything on one dish if you live in the right place, or

maybe across the US.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CdnSteveR:
In order to receive Dish Network HDTV programming, do you really need 2 dishes and 3 LNBs?? Do you need the 500 (with dual LNBs pointed at 110 and 119) AND a secondary Dish pointed at 61.5?
Well, no . . . you only need 1 dish pointed at 61.5 or 148.

But . . . if you want to receive the regular programming & the HDTV then yes, . . . it is 2 dishes (who cares how many LNBs, they are connected to the dishes.)

Quote:
Originally posted by CdnSteveR:
Is there not a simpler way to achieve this? Seems kind of kludgey.
You could move to some place where the cable company offers HBO-HD & Showtime-HD. Or you could get a Bud. If you don't want Showtime-HD, you could sign up with DirecTV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Well, no . . . you only need 1 dish pointed at 61.5 or 148.

But . . . if you want to receive the regular programming & the HDTV then yes, . . . it is 2 dishes (who cares how many LNBs, they are connected to the dishes.)

I believe you need to hit the SD birds to get the programming guide, if you're interested in what is coming up next on your HD channels.

Anybody know if there is a switch that allows you to hit all four sats, 61.5, 110,119,and 148? Only reason would be if 61.5 gets quirky again (I hear there have been dropouts on the 61.5 HD channels while the 148 held strong)

------------------

Jay

"Can I please just watch this the way it is supposed to be seen?"

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
When the quad LBN comes out you should be able to get everything on one dish if you live in the right place, or maybe across the US.
The quad LNB will allow four receivers to be connected to a Dish500 with no additional switches. The satellites are too far apart to be able to pick them up with one dish.

Quote:
Anybody know if there is a switch that allows you to hit all four sats, 61.5, 110,119,and 148? Only reason would be if 61.5 gets quirky again (I hear there have been dropouts on the 61.5 HD channels while the 148 held strong)
The software in the receivers will only work with three satellite locations. While it is physically possible to point towards 61.5 and 148 (and only one of the other slots), the same channel numbers are used on both 61.5 and 148 satellites. If you want to watch Showtime HD on channel 9430, the receiver doesn't know whether to switch to 61.5 transponder 28 or 148 transponder 17.

-Robert

·
Registered
842 Posts
Actually, if you just want HD you can aim a dsih at 61.5. You will get all the software updates and program guides. You need to subscribe to a minimum program commitment for HD only.

Scott, you shoud have emailed me.

You need the new eliptical dish to hit 110 and 119. Where we are in the US, its easy to hit 61.5. You have the multiswitch right???

The only real issue with it is that it needs all 6 outputs from the 3 LNBs to function.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:
My clumsy attempts at installing a two-dish DISH 6000 HDTV satellite dish system failed miserably, so I'm paying a local installer to finish the job for me.
If you need more advice, I'm sure you can post your questions and get answers.

Regarding the 61.5 *and* 148 meme . . . I guess you could point to both sats and have an A/B switch to switch between them if one flakes out. But it would probably take a while since you'd probably need to run that "check switches" thing any time you switched to teach the receiver what it is looking at. That would take several minutes, so you wouldn't want to try to do the switch while watching a movie.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, it worked! My old 18" Sony DirecTV dish is pulling in the 61.5 satellite at a strength of 115+, and the DISH 500 dish is receiving the 110 and 119 satellite signals at strengths of 110+. COOOOL!

By the way, the installer I chose (based on recommendations from fellow AVS members) was Action Antenna in Baltimore (1-800-638-0044, ask for Kevin Grant). They did a great job and were in and out in only an hour.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Scott, I must be helpless as well because I just spent all afternoon trying to do the exact same thing (i.e. upgrade my Dish 300 to a Dish 500 and then use the old dish for HDTV).

Well, I aimed, tilted and skewed exactally where it said to and I never got a "locked" signal. I mounted it on the same pole as the old Dish 300 so I know it should have a clear line of sight to at least the 119 satallite.

Anyway, I did successfully hook up two other dishes in the past. Both of them gave me over "100" signal strength without any adjustments (i.e. they were mounted correctly imediatedly).

I guess the Dish 500 is beyond my capabilities.

The interesting thing is that I ran the "check switches" even though I was never locked and it said "no switch detected". I thought there was a switch built into the Dish 500 LNBF?

I am a do-it-yourselfer so it will take a lot out of me to pay somebody to do this for me.

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darian:
Actually, if you just want HD you can aim a dish at 61.5. You will get all the software updates and program guides. You need to subscribe to a minimum program commitment for HD only.

Scott, you should have emailed me.

You need the new elliptical dish to hit 110 and 119. Where we are in the US, its easy to hit 61.5. You have the multiswitch right???

The only real issue with it is that it needs all 6 outputs from the 3 LNBs to function.
Darian,

I'm in Germantown and I just got the Dish 6000 with two dishes. I'm going to try and get a 2box combo with one of the many offers Dish is running so I can have a 3 TV hookup. Can you recommend a good local place to get the other boxes as that would be helpful also. Thanks!!

------------------

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

[This message has been edited by Leroy_Haynes (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I did it!!

See my new thread "Idiots install Tip for Dish 500"

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mark, I'm a DIY too (I built my home theater screen as well as cabinetry and other woodworking-type doodads around the house) and I was totally flummoxed by the DISH 500 installation. The fella from Action Antenna told me that I was "THIS CLOSE" (while putting his thumb and index finger three microns apart) with the aiming.

Sigh. Oh well, crystal-clear Showtime and HBO in HD makes the $249 worth it.

------------------

Scott Gammans
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.