AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new display for my PC to game on (Crysis, COD4, FO3 etc) and also my XBOX 360. I also want it obviously for blu-ray and hd-dvr. Which display in the 30"-40" would be best for my purposes? I can't get a str8 answer from ppl and am hoping you guys can help. Thanks. Here are some displays that I have looked at, but I am not limited to them, let me know what you think. My budget is $2k. I am about 4' away when I am gaming on PC and ~10' when watching TV or playing XB360.

Sony XBR6 32 or 37

Sharp 32gp3u

Panasonic LZ800 (32 or 37)

Samsung 32a650

DELL 3008WFP

Gateway XHD3000 (I know the dell & gateway have issues, so I am not to sure about them, but let me know)

Here are my PC Specs:

i7 920/x58

GTX 260+ in SLI

What do you think??? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I think either way you go you are going to have to make some compromises. Using a 32" TV at 10" is going to be very small for 360 gaming and TV watching, but using a 50" TV for a PC monitor at 3' is not practical either. I think definitely 37" is the sweet spot if you are going to use it for both. Is it possible or practical for you to get a large TV (50" 720p class plasma/LCD) for your 360 gaming and TV watching, and then a nice 24"-28" (1920*1200) PC monitor for your PC? This is what I would do if I had $2k to spend and the room for both.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
You can get ~40" 1080 LCD TV's for around a grand. I'd go there with what you want. I've had a Westinghouse 37" 1080P for a couple years now (paid $800) and it's razor sharp, the only issue like any LCD I've seen is black levels but it seems every tolerates that, look at desktop monitors today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, I do not have the room for 2 tvs
that's why Im trying to get rid of my TV & 2 monitors. I am willing to live with using a 32" for TV & XBOX, bkz I am actually using a 30" CRT HDTV now and I have had that ranging from 5-12 feet away, so distance isn't really the issue. I have to use glasses anyway, bkz I can't see it if it more than 1 foot away
LOL

And idk about 40" will I see any pixelation from 3-4' away, thats what Im worried about. As for 32-37 what TV is best for that. Since all 32-37 are all in my price range, which should I get. I want the best for PC Gaming, let me know what you guys have used, what I should get etc. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Well if you don't need a tuner that Westinghouse 37w3 makes a great dual format monitor, as it has a dedicated DVI port for PC use. All the TV's you listed will be fine for your Xbox, but I'd go over to Hardforum.com and check out the diplay forums to see which TV works best for PC use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts