AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty confused right now so I wanted to just end it all with a post here because everyone knows their stuff here. I've looked all over the place for a general faq and I used the search function to no avail. If there's one on this forum I completely missed it. Here are my questions:

1. Which type of displays convert to the native resolution (lcd, lcd projector, rptv, direct-view, crt projector, plasma, etc, as much detail as possible here)?

2. Do rptv's have a native resolution and if so what do they convert to it?

3. How do rptv's display 720p?

4. What does a 960x540 LCD projector do with different sources (480p, 720p, 1080i)?

5. Is it wise to use dscaler with an rptv or is it just needed with a projector?

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'll try to help you out here:

1. It will not matter what type of technology you use to display an image. It is not fixed resolution for technology. I've seen native 480p, 720p, and 1080i plasmas. Each display does have a native resolution which will depend on the manufacturer's specs. These types of displays include a scaler to convert unuseable signals to a compatible format that the display will show.

2 and 3. Check with manufacturer. New Pioneer 480p and 1080i can accept 720p and convert to 1080i. Panasonic 480p and 1080i no 720p. Mitsubishi 480p and 1080i. Toshiba, Hitachi, and JVC 540p and 1080i converts all other signals to this scan rate. The TV has an internal scaler to convert to acceptable scan rate for the device. 720p cannot be displayed on a Mitsubishi.

4. depend on the projector if it has an internal scaler to change those scan rates to an acceptable one.

5. Depends how good the internal scalers are inside the RPTV and projector. Will vary with your preference.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what will 720p look better on, an RPTV that converts to 1080i or an LCD projector with a resolution of 960x540?

Can anything display 720p and 1080i without converting one of them? I just want the least amount of conversion possible. The HDTV signals from what I've heard lose some of the benefits when scaled (like 720p loses the non-interlaced display).

Does anything display all the lines of 1080i?

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
720p Will look better on a RPTV that converts it to 720p, than a lower resolution display. Almost all current RPTV's convert 720p to 1080i. It's not a huge deal. 720p sources are ABC, soon ESPN-HD, and select XBOX games.

Displays that have 1080i as an acceptable input will display that.

Are you looking to purchase a display? battle between lcd and rear projection?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does any rptv (or any plasma, lcd, crt, or projector) display 720p as 720p and 1080i as 1080i? If so what's the model number? Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
older panasonics worked that way and are the only ones of their kind. (720p native and 1080i native) Currently your choice is 1080i only in rear projection. Back in the day APEX was going to make HDTVs that do 720p and 1080i native but I haven't seen them on the market yet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then what's the best resolution to feed an rptv (through a vga port from a computer)? Thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
960x540 will work great for DVD playback. You need to realize that mitsubishis VGA input only does 640x480. A break out cable will work best. RGBHV. Pioneer will accept 960x540. Not sure on other brands for rear projection.

You are unique in deciding a display that will show 720p and 1080i native. The market dosen't support this anymore. 1080i is the standard for rear projection. Will your source be Compter based?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bachelor
960x540 will work great for DVD playback. You need to realize that mitsubishis VGA input only does 640x480. A break out cable will work best. RGBHV. Pioneer will accept 960x540. Not sure on other brands for rear projection.

You are unique in deciding a display that will show 720p and 1080i native. The market dosen't support this anymore. 1080i is the standard for rear projection. Will your source be Compter based?
I wanted to use an HTPC for playing dvd's and for scaling. Now since I can't scale 720p with a computer, I wanted something that displayed it natively as well as something that displayed 1080i natively. One would think the 720p format would be superior technologically speaking but since so many displays convert to an interlaced format (1080i) it doesn't get displayed in all its glory. If ABC did 1080i instead of 720p I wouldn't even be discussing this because 1080i would be the norm. Do LCD projectors like the Sanyo Z1 (native res 960x540) downconvert HDTV to this resolution? I know it supports 1080i and 720p but I don't know if it's downconverted or not.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Tom

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I went with an RPTV I would supply it with 960x540 from my HTPC for scaling (using dscaler) and dvds. Why wouldn't I use 1080i if that's an acceptable resolution with my video card? Wouldn't that provide better results? Then 720p will be converted to 1080i and 1080i will stay as 1080i. Is this correct? You can assume I will get an RPTV that converts 480p to 540p and 720p to 1080i.

If I get the Sanyo Z1 (I know this should be on the other forum but I'll try here first) which has a native display of 960x540 then that will downconvert hdtv to 540p because it's lcd right?

I'm just trying to know what I'm getting here so I don't waste my money. Basically I want an RPTV and a projector. Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Pioneer Elite specifically warns of connecting a computer device to the RGB input of the RPTV. So I am afraid it might not work with what you are trying to achieve. Plus, it might be redundant to have a HTPC in this case as the Elite X30's already upconverts everything to 1080i.

I have a Studio 13HD ( Sanyo PLV60 clone) in a HT setup and that does put out a 720p display (1366 x 768 native res) and looks like something that could be right for you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically I'm looking for two things. An RPTV and a projector. The RPTV is for the living room which will be completely operated by a hdtv stb, analog cable tv with an stb, a progressive scan dvd player, and an xbox. It has to be operated by the technically uninclined so I'm trying to keep that as simple as possible.

For my room I wanted a projector. I decided on the Sanyo Z1 because it's cheaper than most rptv's and it has pretty good resolution. I guess I'll be stuck with the 960x540 resolution for all sources (including hdtv) but I'll live with it. I'm going to put together an htpc for scaling and dvd playback on the Z1. I'm assuming dvd will look better because it's at the native resolution of the projector.

This all sounds accurate right? Can anyone recommend a cheap (under $2k since it's going to split with my roommates) but good rptv that's over 50" that accepts 720p? It doesn't need an rgb input but it wouldn't hurt. DVI is not needed. Thanks again.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.