AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the best screen to use for a PT-AE1000U projector.

I've been doing all the reading I can on screen size and color and I'm still stumped, so I'm looking for advice on colors and a max recommended size. I'd really like to do a 1.235 screen so I can do CIH.

I'm going to be projecting from about 15 feet back, centered, overhead. My front row seating is about 12 feet from the screen. For lights, my front wall is dark brown and the other walls are tannish. The ceiling is white (yikes). There is only one window (I'm in a basement), so I think I can control outside light well.

I've read that even though the projector is rated at 1100 lumens, I really shouldn't expect to get more than about 500 out of it once set-up and calibrated.

Using Carlton Bale's excellent theater calculator, at 500 lumens, I've been doing some calculations:

For a 1.24 gain screen (DW Laminate)

At 120" I get 17.2 fl.

At 110" I get 20.5 fl.

If I use a .87 gain screen (FG Laminate)

At 120" I get 12.1 fl.

At 110" I get 14.4 fl.

Both of the grays are out of the acceptable range according to the calculator.

I really don't have a feel for what foot-lamberts are telling me though, so 17 vs. 20 means nothing to me.

So, do I go smaller and gray to get good contrast?, or is the size right and should I look at higher gain? Or is WHITE JUST RIGHT?

Any comments would be great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have my Ae1000 at 14 maybe 14.5 feet on 108" DIY BOC screen at it works perfectly for me. I was in the same boat as not knowing what screen to order and until I was convnced wasn't spending the big bucks on a screen.

I have held fabrics from other screen companies infront of mine and unless you need some serious gain or high powered screen the BOC works just fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have complete light control, and its used for movies only currently so I watch most things with the lights off.

I have played some games on it and you can have the lights on at a low level.

Wall mounted lights, nothing overhead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts