AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun to look into these displays.

I will probably get a screen 37"-50"(I know that is a 13" difference, but I am looking for the best bang for the buck, obviously. Sony, Panasonic, LG, and Sharp being considered.

HDTV Ready at the least(built in tuner fine though).

Out of the 2 displays, I know they both provide excellent HDTV Pictures, no doubt(obviously some brands better than other's) but I REALLY WONDERED which of the two displays deliver the best "OVERALL":

1. Picture from analog/digital cable(obviously some channels are going to be analog)whether through RF/composite/S-video input

2. A 480p(Panasonic RP-62 with Faroudja DCDi chip) DVD picture. I know HD DVD's are on the way(and there are upconverting HD DVD players[are these things worth it for a screen of this size. I still don't know how you get 1080i of lines out of a max of 480p encoded dvd's. I don't believe it])

Like I said, the HD pictures these types of displays deliver are usually not in question. My question lies in the lower resolution, and how these displays handle them.

Do plasma's handle it better than LCD, or vice versa? Also, is LCD a more reliable display than plasma, or vice versa?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
568 Posts
If "best bang for the buck" is the key feature as you mentioned you will probably be buying Plasma. Panasonic is probably the best values but now Philips and Toshiba have introduced some lower priced models with same features. HDTV ATSC tuners is required in all HDTV's larger than 36 inchers for 2005.

42" Plasma:

Panasonic TH-42PX50U @ circuit city

Philips 42PF7320A [email protected] Circuit City & JR

Toshiba 42HD95 @ JR

37" LCD & Plasmas:

Panasonic TH-37PX50U @ Circuit City

Philips 37PF7320A @ Circuti City/JR

Toshiba 37HL95 @ JR

[MSRP PRICING ONLY - Please Refer To AVSForum Rules & Guidelines]

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I think Steeler has been an avid poster in other areas of the forum marty.

Steeler, as well as reading through the information you'll gather in this thread, be sure to do a search for plasma vs. lcd threads. There are a quite a few of them, very detailed, full of info! :)

-JR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there-

There are a few things that I would like to add and answer your questions as well... As far as the difference between plasma and LCD goes - ITS SLIM! I would also include DLP rear projectors into your search as those are the lowest priced sets...

LCDs come in a bit less expensive than the plasmas and the LCOS or DLPs are cheaper yet! But, with each, you get the good and the bad!!!

LCDs are made by about 3 companies in the entire world (not counting the Chinese or small factories...) Hitachi, LG and Philips... Everyone else (about 67 according to International Data Corporation) gets their screens from these three guys and adds their name to the front panel (Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi....)

The main drawback to an LCD is the viewing angle - look at a laptop screen to understand this - the more you draw to a certain side, the worse or darker the picture gets. Also - the main thing you want to look at in a set is the BLACK level... the more realistic the black levels are, the better the set!!!!

Plasmas are fantastic - they don't have the limitation that LCDs do when it comes to viewing angles - but, they are HOT (thus the word PLASMA!!!) the gasses inside the sets are heated to certain tempratures to get the picture. Plasmas are known for their amazing black levels and veiwablity in almost any environment - including direct sunlight!!!! The bad thing is - its only good for about 5 years!!! After that, you will see BURN in - like the ticker that streams across the bottom on CNBC or if you leave it on a game screen too long, the picture gets "Burned" into the set... Additionally, since Plasmas are filled with gas, altitude affects the picture! So, don't buy one in Colorado!

Pretty much the same problems for LCDs exist for DLP or LCOS TVs... viewing angles, black levels and picture wash. But again - you get HUGE SIZES!

I hope that this helps --- also go to CNET and check out their TV buying guide... it's pretty easy reading...

Ray

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefray
Hi there-

There are a few things that I would like to add and answer your questions as well... As far as the difference between plasma and LCD goes - ITS SLIM! I would also include DLP rear projectors into your search as those are the lowest priced sets...

LCDs come in a bit less expensive than the plasmas and the LCOS or DLPs are cheaper yet! But, with each, you get the good and the bad!!!

LCDs are made by about 3 companies in the entire world (not counting the Chinese or small factories...) Hitachi, LG and Philips... Everyone else (about 67 according to International Data Corporation) gets their screens from these three guys and adds their name to the front panel (Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi....)

The main drawback to an LCD is the viewing angle - look at a laptop screen to understand this - the more you draw to a certain side, the worse or darker the picture gets. Also - the main thing you want to look at in a set is the BLACK level... the more realistic the black levels are, the better the set!!!!

Plasmas are fantastic - they don't have the limitation that LCDs do when it comes to viewing angles - but, they are HOT (thus the word PLASMA!!!) the gasses inside the sets are heated to certain tempratures to get the picture. Plasmas are known for their amazing black levels and veiwablity in almost any environment - including direct sunlight!!!! The bad thing is - its only good for about 5 years!!! After that, you will see BURN in - like the ticker that streams across the bottom on CNBC or if you leave it on a game screen too long, the picture gets "Burned" into the set... Additionally, since Plasmas are filled with gas, altitude affects the picture! So, don't buy one in Colorado!

Pretty much the same problems for LCDs exist for DLP or LCOS TVs... viewing angles, black levels and picture wash. But again - you get HUGE SIZES!

I hope that this helps --- also go to CNET and check out their TV buying guide... it's pretty easy reading...

Ray
I think you are incorrect, Ray. Sharp is the BIGGEST LCD manufacturer in the world. So that makes at least 4.

LCD is more expensive than plasma and that is becoming harder to close that gap every day. Plasma is on a binge to kill DLP. If the plasma prices drop as rumored (very strong) All my accounts have told me that Aug 28 is the day that Panny and LG drop the prices. Viewing angles of laptops and LCD TV's are totally different. Laptops are made to be directional for a number of reasons...privacy, etc. Most LCD's are 170 degree viewing angle.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
1068 posts and you haven't seen any of the endless discussions on this?
I thought it was 1080p posts. ;)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefray
Hi there-

Ray

I really don't mean to be rude or anything but this post has a lot of facts wrong. Mike53 pointed out a few, but still more remain.

Plasmas don't burn-in after 5 years. Plasma these days have 60,000 hrs till half life. Burn-in is not a problem if you take care of the set during the 'break-in' period (first few hundred hours or so).

Plasmas don't actually do so well in direct sunlight. The glass will reflect the sunlight similar to a CRT would do. LCD displays don't suffer from this as much.

The word plasma refers to the ionized gas which is used in the display, it doesn't really mean to imply that the display is hot. Although some display do run hot, I've read a report that some displays don't really get that hot. I don't think plasma by nature needs to run hot (i mean the set itself doesn't have to be burning hot to the touch).

There are probably some other things that should be corrected as well...

Again I don't want to be rude, but I think getting the facts out is what AVS is all about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech
love my plasma for movies and sports and my lcd for text and digital camera stills.
With recent introduction of 4ms response time LCD panels, I think LCDs will be as good for movies and sports. and with new BLU techniques, LCD could reproduce more and more authentic colors than PDP, with less noise and hues.

The current market is still at 16ms levels(Sharp ones), we'll probably need a couple of years to see 4ms LCD TVs in main stream.

·
Registered
447 Posts
loggiestar,

Do not let 4ms fool you. Manufacturers are trying to change how the response times are calculated. It is only in the Grey that they are calculating the response times off of. You need to take into account the average response time and the response time for color.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loggiestar
The current market is still at 16ms levels(Sharp ones), we'll probably need a couple of years to see 4ms LCD TVs in main stream.
As of last week, the current market is now at 8 msec. Samsung, Sony, and JVC all have 26", 32" and 40 " LCDs at 8 msec (all in stores now, I've seen them). I believe that Sharp will have new fall models soon that are 8 to 12 msec.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
. Viewing angles of laptops and LCD TV's are totally different. Laptops are made to be directional for a number of reasons...privacy, etc. Most LCD's are 170 degree viewing angle.
Well, you can see a viewable picture way off axis, but my LCD doesn't look as good far off axis as looking pretty much straight on. There doesn't seem to be the color shift that RP sets have though. I'd say that my own LCDTV does a pretty good job out to about 45 degrees off axis. My CRT looks about the same everywhere.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just know that plasma tvs are very common here in colorado and I haven't met anyone with one who complained about the elevation messing it up.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I prefer plasmas after looking at a bunch of both types (lcd, plasma) Here are my reasons. 1 they provide better color and black levels. A lot of LCD tv's have a washed out appearance (though some newer ones are much better) Also Plasmas have a much better viewing angle. The picture looks just as good no matter where you sit where as with LCD's if you have guests towards the sides the picture they see will be much less then ideal. In bright lights Plasmas tend to offer a more vivid picture as well compared to LCD's. I think LCD tv's have promise and are getting better all the time, but for the money I think you will get a better deal with a Plasma. The only thing you need to think about is burn in. Plasma's are no worse then any other tv, but it can happen. If you play a lot of games or want to use your TV as a computer monitor then LCD is the way to go probably, but other then that I vote Plasma all the way. (as far as life span goes I believe you can get a good 8-10 years (if not more) out of almost all plasma models available today, but who even owns a tv for more then 4 or 5 years now anyway?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
The stated viewing angle of LCDs of 170 degrees is ONLY for the horizontal. The vertical viewing angle for LCDs is usually 30 degrees.

Big differance in the appearence of the picture between sitting down and standing up if you are a tall guy :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
"I think you are incorrect, Ray. Sharp is the BIGGEST LCD manufacturer in the world. So that makes at least 4."

Sharp sells the most branded LCD TVs, but Samsung manufactures the most LCD TV panels.

Sony also makes its own LCD TVs. There's a JV between Samsung and Sony as well.

Panasonic also makes it own LCD TVs, just at 32" or less.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint
As of last week, the current market is now at 8 msec. Samsung, Sony, and JVC all have 26", 32" and 40 " LCDs at 8 msec (all in stores now, I've seen them). I believe that Sharp will have new fall models soon that are 8 to 12 msec.
With this new crop of LCDs out, the same arguement can no longer be made with regards to LCDs only should be used for PCs and displaying pictures...that's rubbish now.

Sure, they are expensive when compared to Plasmas, but the new Samsungs and Sharps kick butt, IMO.

As far as viewing angle goes, while it is true that angles greater than 45 degress on either side of the LCD screen tend to "haze over" the screen, who are you buying this TV for, you? or your friends sitting perpendicular to the screen?

This is just my opinion, but you really need to take your own personal tastes and finances to a BB and view Plasma vs. LCDs for yourself. I preferred the 40" LCD picture to the 42" and 50" Plasmas, so that's what I bought, and I am glad I did.

In the end, you need to use the "with a grain of sand" on all of the advice you have read/heard and pull the trigger on the set that your gut and feelings tell you is the right one...and if you get it home and are unhappy with it, exchange it.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
1068 posts and you haven't seen any of the endless discussions on this?
I can understand the frustration when people who frequently venture in a certain forum see the same questions over, and over, and over, ...

I mainly hang around the Direct-View area for TV info, but since prices are beginning to drop down to a level where I am starting to consider them, I figured I would ask and begin to learn.

Sorry if this is a question which just pisses people off in this forum because it has been discussed to death and with alot of venom(ala the ENDLESS 16:9/4:3 debate crap that goes on in direct-view)

Thanx to JuiceRocket for sticking up for the question.

I am coming from a different part of the store everyone, and I am just trying to learn info about these displays. This will be a learning process. Hell I didn't actually purchase a HDTV(or join the FORUM) until after about 6-8 months of just reading and learning.

Unfortunately I am going to have to do it again with the LCD/Plasma decision :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedler
In the end, you need to use the "with a grain of sand" on all of the advice you have read/heard and pull the trigger on the set that your gut and feelings tell you is the right one...and if you get it home and are unhappy with it, exchange it.
Couldn't agree more. Take the time to look at your choices side by side if possible. Love my Sharp LC-45GX6U.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.