AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at HD today trying to figure out how much I needed for my next gift card purchase, however, I have a slight problem. There are 2 types of 6 panel doors, the molded 6 panel for like $55 and the solid 6 panel for $155. I need 4 doors in total, bathroom, closet, to other side of basement and theater. Does it really make a huge difference in overall quality and finish? I will say I did not do the DD and GG so in that sense I was not looking to trap sound in the basement, I was thinking that if the system is cranked it will be when nobody is sleeping and when they are I will turn it down like I do now in the living room. There is a door at the top of the stairs which will also be replaced at some point with a similar door. So the question is, does it truly matter in the end which door I go with? Should I do a solid door into the theater and do molded everywhere else? Will the molded doors rattle at all?

I am thinking the door will end up being opened more than closed anyway but I dont want to be wishing I got a solid door vs the molded once it is installed.

· Registered
894 Posts
Solid - try craigslist - search in the materials section. In my area, I see 20+ doors for less than what you would pay for the molded/hollow.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Assuming you are interested in saving money, use the solid door on the theater and whatever you want on the other doors. Even better, get a solid exterior door for the theater and whatever you want for the other doors. It's best to try and keep the sound in the theater and not worry about trying to trap it at the top of a stairway for example.

In my home, the stairway door that leads to my basement has a generous gap at the bottom to allow for airflow while the door is closed. So it would be useless to try and replace that door with something to contain the sound from getting to the rest of the house. My theater has a exterior door and I will be adding some additional treatments to it and possibly putting on a second door if need be.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
The panels of solid core doors can be pretty thin, and therefore pretty leaky, soundwise. This assumes the doors are well sealed at the edges, of course. Flush solid core doors are much better, but much $$$. So check the panel thickness, and go for the thicker panels.

Regards,

Terry

· Registered
579 Posts
I've struggled with our entrance doors for four years now. We have a double door entrance and I used steel insulated exterior doors. They are flat with no panels and I either want to add some raised panels or some kind of trim. The theater side has an acoustic panel on each door so they are fine. It is the entry side that is driving me nuts. If I can't create something to make the doors look better, I'll have to replace them.

· Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight guys. I think then what makes the most sense is to just do a solid door for the theater and then do the molded door for the bathroom closet and the door leading to the unfinished side of the basement. I mean those will receive limited use for the most part except for the bathroom door but why would I need a solid door there any way? So I think the 100 bucks I pay extra for the theater door will be good and then I will save some cash on the rest as it almost seems like a waste of 300 bucks getting solid doors all the way around. Heck, It might even be a waste for the theater door as I dont know how much I would close it while in there, but at least if I install it, then I wont second guess it later on down the road...

· Registered
507 Posts
Have you done any research on the safe and sound doors? I was thinking of using these for my entrance.

· Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, the only 2 doors I looked at were the 6 panel molded and solid. I am thinking because I dont know how much I will actually close the door, I dont normally lock myself in rooms, I dont want to go crazy with things that will go to waste. As a result, this is why I figure spend the little extra to have a good solid door at the theater entrance, and then the other 3 doors can be molded doors because they are there to be doors, not barricade a castle.

· Registered
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/15420099

no, the only 2 doors I looked at were the 6 panel molded and solid. I am thinking because I dont know how much I will actually close the door, I dont normally lock myself in rooms, I dont want to go crazy with things that will go to waste. As a result, this is why I figure spend the little extra to have a good solid door at the theater entrance, and then the other 3 doors can be molded doors because they are there to be doors, not barricade a castle.

I hear ya. The "Safe and Sound" Doors are some type of filled hollow core door. They look and act like any other door. I am curious what effect they have in comparison to a solid core door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.