AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using double 16mm ( 5/8 ) drywall, Green Glue and GG Whisper clips. What drywall screws do most people use here for double drywall applications? I understand that the first layer screws into the furring channel. What about the second layer? Does that just screw into the first layer of drywall or does it also affix to the channel?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I could not turn up much through searching.

Thanks

Greg

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,232 Posts
First layer use 1 1/4 second layer use 2 inch screws. Screw into the channel for both layers. I like the Grabber brand fine thread designed for metal studs. Anything longer and you risk hitting the studs/joists and defeating the isolation mount system.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for that Big. Most appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it ok to use standard drywall screws (1 1/4" for first layer and 2" for second layer) instead of the screws designed for metal studs? Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is it ok to use standard drywall screws (1 1/4" for first layer and 2" for second layer) instead of the screws designed for metal studs? Thanks!
I wouldn't. The finer metal stud screws will have a better chance of actually penetrating the metal channel and gripping it rather than just penetrating it and ripping through it.

You still have to be careful with the metal screws to not strip the channel by overtightening.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our first layer of drywall has already been put with standard drywall screws. May be I could request to use metal stud screws for the second layer of drywall. Hopefully we did not mess it all up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts