AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Highlander since both DVD tranfers are lousy and I'm itching to watch it again.

On pure movie alone - Braveheart (but its transfer is better so i can wait)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the new HIGHLANDER DVD as far as the transfer goes. It is, without question, the best the film has ever looked and, reflects the look of the film on 35mm. You will have a harder time finding a more anal fan of that film than yours truly and I am very satisfied with how this DVD came out.

The film itself is grainy. Nothing can be done about that. Reducing grain would mean using heavier DVNR and that would give us a softer look with less resolution. No thanks.

The only way to make this film look better is to do it in true HD. But even there you will have a film with numerous grainy shots.

That being said, I would LOVE this film in HD. Also, in no particular order, other than the first three...

GLADIATOR

DIE HARD

SUPERMAN

BEN HUR

VERTIGO

MOULIN ROUGE

UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

AKIRA

METROPOLIS (anime)

TRUE LIES

PROJECT A

DRUNKEN MASTER 2

CROUCHING TIGER-HIDDEN DRAGON

I could go on and on...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the new HIGHLANDER DVD as far as the transfer goes. It is, without question, the best the film has ever looked and, reflects the look of the film on 35mm. You will have a harder time finding a more anal fan of that film than yours truly and I am very satisfied with how this DVD came out.

The film itself is grainy. Nothing can be done about that. Reducing grain would mean using heavier DVNR and that would give us a softer look with less resolution. No thanks.

The only way to make this film look better is to do it in true HD. But even there you will have a film with numerous grainy shots.

That being said, I would LOVE this film in HD. Also, in no particular order, other than the first three...

GLADIATOR

DIE HARD

SUPERMAN

BEN HUR

VERTIGO

MOULIN ROUGE

UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

AKIRA

METROPOLIS (anime)

TRUE LIES

PROJECT A

DRUNKEN MASTER 2

CROUCHING TIGER-HIDDEN DRAGON

I could go on and on...
The new transfer of Highlander does have some EE which is unusual for Anchor Bay. But everything else would be source related.

Out of your first 5 choices only 1 stands a chance in hell of ever being released on the new-old VHS. :D And out of all 13 I would bet only 4 or 5 at the most will ever be released.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Oh Die Hard is going to be released as well as Gladiator and VErtigo is questionable maybe. But I'd bet anything Die Hard and Gladiator see DVHS this year.

I'm also hoping Fox puts Attack of The Clones out ASAP to get the format going. Even though I haven't seen it yet I'd want that one the most.

Matt,

Hmm Hmm, the new Highlander film is the best release yet. However it is surely lacking in terms of some EE which is what is destroying it for me and in some scenes the EE is bad very Bad. But for under $10 its a good pickup as is Cliffhanger for under $10 at none other than Blockbuster.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Davis
Hmmm.

...and Singin' In The Rain (scope (2.35:1) format).
Larry,

You should know that Singin' In The Rain was shot in 1952 at academy 1.37 OAR. It is a MGM release but now a Warner property so no chance it will ever see D-VHS. Warner and Sony have both stated that they will not support D-tape. After all they developed DVD.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
euh ??? DIE HARD is FOX !

for me, I would if I had hdtv capability and based on the participating studios:

GLADIATOR in DTS full rate ( sorry but I ALSO want some good sound :) )

CLEOPATRE

STAR WARS trilogy

XMEN

THE PEACEMAKER

and others, I don't know right now

ALIEN also, very details-rich movie, would fit well D-THEATER format

THIN RED LINE !

ROMANCING THE STONE :)

the trick is to pick up films that I would like to see entirely, preferably in 2.35:1 as it's the "poor" child of dvd currently ( resolution speaking ).

some westerns maybe, not much though with these studios.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST in 1080i or p !!!!! wrong studio.....

or SILVERADO or THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY or RIO BRAVO or THE ALAMO.

peplums and westerns and great large adventure movies just fit well this high def format to my mind. imagine displaying these in d-theater on a 20ft 2.35 widescreen at home !!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
I would pick something I couldn't record in the near term (e.g., Clones vs. Silverado), but unquestionably, without a doubt, absolutely.

The Wind and the Lion

I think releasing the original SW trilogy on D-VHS first would move players and the format pretty fast and far. (Latest commercial ridden "Fiox widescreen" record doiesn't count.

Tim

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William

Larry,

You should know that Singin' In The Rain was shot in 1952 at academy 1.37 OAR. It is a MGM release but now a Warner property so no chance it will ever see D-VHS. Warner and Sony have both stated that they will not support D-tape. After all they developed DVD.
Yup, you're right, as Singin' In The Rain preceeded the first Cinemascope feature (The Robe) by at least a year. What was I thinking? I plead temporary brainlock! :) I know Warner doesn't support D-VHS. I was thinking of 4 titles I would like to see in Hi-Def. It's likely at least half will be released. I remind all that I am an agnostic on the D-VHS issue. I'm neither for it, nor against it. I will not be buying a D-VHS deck or the software.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Ben-Hur

El Cid

Lawrence Of Arabia

The Ten Commandments

The Robe

Spartacus

The Wind And The Lion

The Fall Of The Roman Empire, to name but a few...

Nice to dream, but it ain't going to happen, so...

Predator

Die Hard

Alien

Aliens

SW Trilogy

Gladiator, to name but a few...

-THTS

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527

Hmm Hmm, the new Highlander film is the best release yet. However it is surely lacking in terms of some EE which is what is destroying it for me and in some scenes the EE is bad very Bad. But for under $10 its a good pickup as is Cliffhanger for under $10 at none other than Blockbuster.
Actually, I think the laserdisc is still better than both DVD releases, when viewed on a high-end player. At the very least, they seem equal, except for the EE on the DVDs.

As for HD tapes, I've heard rumors that New Line may be involved later on. (The four studios announced so far are just the ones participating in the initial June/July releases.) If that's the case, I wouldn't mind having the extended LORD OF THE RINGS in full-bit rate DTS and with the commentary. And THE ROBE is also a good possibility, since it is a Fox film. Maybe in time for Easter?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The HIGHLANDER laserdisc simply cannot compare. It is a lower resolution format with too many inherent problems to compete with anamorphic DVD (better than VHS and low bit rate DVD, yes, but that's about it). HLD-X9 is owned by what, 4 people? I don not care how spectacular that player is, it ain't DVD. It doesn't have the resolution of DVD. The clarity of DVD. It's a crippled analog format. I own over 100 laserdiscs, so I am not anti-LD. I am just realistic.

The EE on the new DVD is nowhere near as bad as titles like Episode I or Tombstone. It's actually only seen in a few scenes. And I am very picky about that. I hate EE, but it does not bother me with Highlander. It's just a damn good transfer.

The sound is where I have issues. Leaving the original soundtrack out was ****ing pathetic.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Well, I most likely will sit out the Dtheater and wait for HD-DVD, but if I were to partake, this would be my list:

Gladiator

Star Wars

Starship Troopers

Pearl Harbor

Saving private Ryan

The Matrix

Austin Powers I & 2

Gus

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.