AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a DVD Burner to purchase? Looking for an internal DVD burner drive for a PC - low cost, price \\ performance leader.

Also, which format is required in order to playback on most DVD players?

Thanks...RN

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have an eye for the new Sony 510A, due early May.

Otherwise, a Sony 500ax or Pioneer A05 will do.

DVD-R plays on most stand alone dvd players.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sony DRU500AX. can burn both formats if your paranoid. dvdr -/+. But if you go with +, like most manufactures, go with a Plextor dvd burner.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
If you're wanting low cost, I'd go with a 2X DVD-R drive. But it really depends on your budget and what you want to use it for.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The Pioneer 105 4x DVD-R burner goes for $150-$175 after rebate. Good burner now with hacked firmware that lets you reliably burn at 2x speed on 1x media.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Pioneer 105 4x DVD-R sounds like a good choice because of it's compatibility with standalone DVD players and low cost and good performance. I'll mostly use it to transfer home\\kids's Minidv movies to DVD.

How long does it take to burn a full one sideed DVD at 2x? Also, which authoring software is the recommended standard?

Thanks...RN

·
Registered
479 Posts
A Full 4.7Gb DVD will take about 20min or so. I've used Ulead Moviestudio which is pretty good...and DVDit PE. Pinnacle looks pretty good too...I'm going through a bunch of demos checking out different things.

-sonny

·
Registered
225 Posts
On a bit of a tangent.... before burning the DVD, what's the best way to get the video into your computer - IOW, what video card would people recommend for transferring an analog video source (such as from a VCR)? This would be for PC, not Mac. And I don't care about DV, just a good analog to digital conversion of the video.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My DV camcorder can do ADC then firewire into the computer. There are a lot of video capture cards out there that do on-the-fly mpeg encoding as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you require firewire in and you don't have a DV camcorder to act as an ADC, you could use a standalone analog video to DV bridge device.

Two manufacturers of these bridge devices are Dazzle and Canopus. They retail for $250 - $300. An added bonus of these devices is that they are bidirectional, i.e. ADC and DAC.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.