AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been discussed. I tried to find the answer in previous posts, but couldn't find it.

Which of the two movies on DVD, Wyatt Earp or Tombstone, has the better PQ and SQ? I'm talking about minimal EE and good use of surrounds and LFE. Will be watching on a 110" screen.

Thanks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Both are great versions of the same story. I'd say PQ wise Wyatt Earp is better because of the edge enhancement on tombstone, which will definately be noticable on 110" screen ( same size as mine ) however, aside from the EE, pq is pretty good on tombstone as well.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The Vista Series release of Tombstone is very nice. It's such a superior film to Wyatt Earp that I haven't bothered with the DVD of the latter. Looks like smddoc has provided the feedback you need on that matter.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Both versions of Tombstone have severe EE issues, in fact, the special edition version is as bad as Star Wars Phantom Menace...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
And the regular edition of Tombstone is non-anamorphic...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the PQ feedback. So, am I to understand that W.E. has much less EE than TS?

How does the Sound compare? Dialog, surround use, LFE, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The EE on TOMBSTONE is so bad, it is among the worst major studio DVD's ever released. The HBO High Def transfer has no EE and looks fantastic, other than the fact that it is cropped to the point of being unwatchable. :mad:

·
Registered
28,960 Posts
The Tombstone DVD is the worst example of edge enhancement I've ever seen. The edge halos have their own halos! You know it's bad when halos are overlapping one another anytime two objects in the frame get close together.

Wyatt Earp has no edge enhancement at all. It's not a perfect transfer, but it's leaps and bounds better than Tombstone. Here's my review:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...wyattearp.html

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IAM4UK
The Vista Series release of Tombstone is very nice. It's such a superior film to Wyatt Earp that I haven't bothered with the DVD of the latter. Looks like smddoc has provided the feedback you need on that matter.
I love Tombstone, and have since I first saw it at the cinema. But I also love Wyatt Earp...a more character-driven, darker account of his life, etc. Kevin Costner did an excellent job no matter what some critics says...

By the way...Tombstone was released theatrically before Wyatt Earp, so by the time the latter made it to the cinema people already had a taste of one of the most significant Westerns made in the last 30 years and were too jaded to sit through yet another Wyatt Earp-related film.

Theatrically both films looked superb in LPP film stock (Eastman Kodak).

On standard resolution video Wyatt Earp is by far the better transfer, but as Matt says the HBO high-definition version is simply jaw dropping and would be THE reference version to have if it weren't for HBO's stupidity in exhibiting an scope-ratio-ed film in 16x9...which results in severe cropping (if Tombstone would have been shot in Super35 then things would have been different because this film format allow a lot of leeway when it comes to re-framing movies...much like it occurred with a recent showing of a new transfer of TRUE LIES on HBO in 16x9 ratio--thanks, Matt!--but that's another story best left for a soon to be posted direct comparisons "review" of four versions of it ;) ), although coloration is dead-on and since EE is nearly absent, both of these parameters add up to produce superlative PQ spite image cropping...

-THTS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.