AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a DVD player than is region-free and can convert from PAL to NTSC or is there no such thing anymore? I used to have a Raite a couple years ago but it had problems with interactive menus and would squish the picture of widescreen DVDs on my plain old 4:3 television. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Titanium.X

·
Registered
29,571 Posts
The Malata DVP-520 or JVC XV-S500 are currently the best.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I own a JVC XVS500Bk Regions 1 thru 6, it's great and at $265 for the player already moded plus $20 shipping. I went with 220.com. I have owned it for about 8 months and it does the PAL(Phase Alternate Line) very well with no stretch, the player is Progressive Scan. If you want DVD-A go for the 600 model

At present I have 60 titles from english speaking R2 and R4 Australia, Discs from region 4 are cheaper than R2 England who still uses expensive pounds besides Euros.

:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Harmon Kardon DVD25 does both PAL - NTSC & NTSC - PAL conversion in both interlaced and progressive modes. PAL progressive requires a firmware upgrade which is easily downloadable.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Isn't there a trick on most (if not all) JVC players that allows you to change the regional setting without opening the player?

I remember being able to fiddle around this with my mom's XV-1000BK but not being able to do much as I din't know the correct numeric combinations for each regional code. (Good thing I jotted down the numerical code it displayed when I accessed this before making any changes. *l*)

I ask because I just bought a JVC RX-DV3SL and am hoping the same trick works for it as well. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just stumbled across one today at Best Buy a 'Cyberhome' D500. Progressive / Component outs. Plays MP3 with long filenames. They company (in LA) just put out a firmware upgrade for download that will allow it to play DVD-Audio...

and with 6 press of the remote, it's regionless.

AND.. it does PROPER PAL>NTSC Anamorphic conversion.. no squishie.. no stretchie. (no fine X-Y scaling ala Malata, but it's heads and shoulders above the Apex)

For $79, it's worth a gander.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a malata n996 which does what you want, the new version is the 520 which from what i've read is good too. but i also picked up the cyber home ch-500 for 80 bucks, which so far i have found great. if you can't afford more for the malata or jvc's, i'd go with the cyberhome. check www.nerd-out.com message boards too for more info.

the pal to ntsc even on anamorphic looks great.

pants

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So does this CH-DVD 500 from Cyberhome feature region-free playback and PAL -> NTSC conversion straight out of the box or does it need to be hacked? Looks like it might be a lower-end version of the D-900 sold by 220-Electronics.

Anyone know about the CineVision being sold at Radio Shack?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Cyberhome is remote hackable.. no firmware changes necessary, enter a simple code and it's regionless and PAL>NTSC out of the box. (Actually, the PAL>NTSC is outta the box without hacking. I received my S1 and S2 of 'Goodness Gracious Me' from Amazon.uk and they were both R0. Stuck them in pre-hack and they did the anamorphic convert right nicely).

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I assumed you had a HDTV, if you have a 4:3 progressive scan DVD players will not work with analog 4:3 TV.

Whenever asking us questions give us the full information it's for your own good.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob

I assumed you had a HDTV, if you have a 4:3 progressive scan DVD players will not work with analog 4:3 TV. Whenever asking us questions give us the full information it's for your own good.:)
I already said I have a plain old 4:3 television in my first post. Can't this function be turned off? So this Cybervision DVD player is out of the question? Seems strange for a $80 player to only work with high-end HDTV sets. That doesn't sound right. Are you sure?

Titanium.X

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Cyberhome will work just fine with a normal 4:3 TV, it has component/progressive, S_VIdeo and Composite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's right. I though that sounded strange. The composite and s-video jacks wouldn't even carry the signal. I feel better now. I am leaning towards the Cyberhome player unless somthing else comes up. I like the slim look of the Cinevision player at Radio Shack but I don't know anything about it. I wonder who makes it. Well, its made by GoVideo I guess but they keep getting bought and sold so I'm sure someone else makes it. I guess if it was region-free and did PAL -> NTSC conversion it would be well known by now. Too bad.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
I just stumbled across one today at Best Buy a 'Cyberhome' D500. Progressive / Component outs. Plays MP3 with long filenames. They company (in LA) just put out a firmware upgrade for download that will allow it to play DVD-Audio...

and with 6 press of the remote, it's regionless.

AND.. it does PROPER PAL>NTSC Anamorphic conversion.. no squishie.. no stretchie. (no fine X-Y scaling ala Malata, but it's heads and shoulders above the Apex)

For $79, it's worth a gander.
Londo, in case you didn't know, the Apex 3201 is hackable from the remote and it also does PAL anamorphic to NTSC correctly. Its not as good as a Malata but as a cheap second player for non R1 discs thats easy to find, its not bad.

Bob H.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Bob..

Had several Apexen (is that the plural of Apex?) and I found the build quality quite 'cheap'. This Cyberhome is build like a tank and (unlike a lot of the later players that are coming out) uses a standard DVD-Rom loader on and IDE interface... nice to be able to replace it myself if it go phfft.. then again, at this price level....

It's also seems to have a decent US support presence at www.cyberhome.com, the tech people are responsive (less than a day for a lot of questions to be answered) and are doing upgrades for the unit (already adding DVD-Audio support).

All in all.. it kicks the sneedles out of the Apex.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Bob..

Had several Apexen (is that the plural of Apex?) and I found the build quality quite 'cheap'. This Cyberhome is build like a tank and (unlike a lot of the later players that are coming out) uses a standard DVD-Rom loader on and IDE interface... nice to be able to replace it myself if it go phfft.. then again, at this price level....

It's also seems to have a decent US support presence at www.cyberhome.com, the tech people are responsive (less than a day for a lot of questions to be answered) and are doing upgrades for the unit (already adding DVD-Audio support).

All in all.. it kicks the sneedles out of the Apex.
Are you sure it supports DVD-Audio "high rez" and not just the DTS/DD tracks of a "mix" disc?

http://www.cyberhome.com/tech_issues.asp?ID=13

According to this it can only do the DD/DTS tracks and playback the DVD-Video. No matter I ordered one anyway, it will be good not having to hook up the laptop to the tv to watch my R2 Buffy Season 5 :)

Also many of the Apex players are no longer hackable via remote, depending on their firmware. My Apex 1200 definitely doesn't hack. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.