AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a DVD player than is region-free and can convert from PAL to NTSC or is there no such thing anymore? I used to have a Raite a couple years ago but it had problems with interactive menus and would squish the picture of widescreen DVDs on my plain old 4:3 television. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Titanium.X

·
Registered
27,974 Posts
The Malata DVP-520 or JVC XV-S500 are currently the best.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I own a JVC XVS500Bk Regions 1 thru 6, it's great and at $265 for the player already moded plus $20 shipping. I went with 220.com. I have owned it for about 8 months and it does the PAL(Phase Alternate Line) very well with no stretch, the player is Progressive Scan. If you want DVD-A go for the 600 model

At present I have 60 titles from english speaking R2 and R4 Australia, Discs from region 4 are cheaper than R2 England who still uses expensive pounds besides Euros.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would you recommend the JVC model over this unknown brand?

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/d900.htm

They seem to indicate this unknown "D900" models as their top of the line but it would seem to me the JVC would be better. So the JVC will work with widescreen PAL discs on a regular 4:3 television without stretching or squeezing the picture?

Titanium.X

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Harmon Kardon DVD25 does both PAL - NTSC & NTSC - PAL conversion in both interlaced and progressive modes. PAL progressive requires a firmware upgrade which is easily downloadable.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Isn't there a trick on most (if not all) JVC players that allows you to change the regional setting without opening the player?

I remember being able to fiddle around this with my mom's XV-1000BK but not being able to do much as I din't know the correct numeric combinations for each regional code. (Good thing I jotted down the numerical code it displayed when I accessed this before making any changes. *l*)

I ask because I just bought a JVC RX-DV3SL and am hoping the same trick works for it as well. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just stumbled across one today at Best Buy a 'Cyberhome' D500. Progressive / Component outs. Plays MP3 with long filenames. They company (in LA) just put out a firmware upgrade for download that will allow it to play DVD-Audio...

and with 6 press of the remote, it's regionless.

AND.. it does PROPER PAL>NTSC Anamorphic conversion.. no squishie.. no stretchie. (no fine X-Y scaling ala Malata, but it's heads and shoulders above the Apex)

For $79, it's worth a gander.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have a malata n996 which does what you want, the new version is the 520 which from what i've read is good too. but i also picked up the cyber home ch-500 for 80 bucks, which so far i have found great. if you can't afford more for the malata or jvc's, i'd go with the cyberhome. check www.nerd-out.com message boards too for more info.

the pal to ntsc even on anamorphic looks great.

pants

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So does this CH-DVD 500 from Cyberhome feature region-free playback and PAL -> NTSC conversion straight out of the box or does it need to be hacked? Looks like it might be a lower-end version of the D-900 sold by 220-Electronics.

Anyone know about the CineVision being sold at Radio Shack?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Cyberhome is remote hackable.. no firmware changes necessary, enter a simple code and it's regionless and PAL>NTSC out of the box. (Actually, the PAL>NTSC is outta the box without hacking. I received my S1 and S2 of 'Goodness Gracious Me' from Amazon.uk and they were both R0. Stuck them in pre-hack and they did the anamorphic convert right nicely).

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I assumed you had a HDTV, if you have a 4:3 progressive scan DVD players will not work with analog 4:3 TV.

Whenever asking us questions give us the full information it's for your own good.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob

I assumed you had a HDTV, if you have a 4:3 progressive scan DVD players will not work with analog 4:3 TV. Whenever asking us questions give us the full information it's for your own good.:)
I already said I have a plain old 4:3 television in my first post. Can't this function be turned off? So this Cybervision DVD player is out of the question? Seems strange for a $80 player to only work with high-end HDTV sets. That doesn't sound right. Are you sure?

Titanium.X

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The Cyberhome will work just fine with a normal 4:3 TV, it has component/progressive, S_VIdeo and Composite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's right. I though that sounded strange. The composite and s-video jacks wouldn't even carry the signal. I feel better now. I am leaning towards the Cyberhome player unless somthing else comes up. I like the slim look of the Cinevision player at Radio Shack but I don't know anything about it. I wonder who makes it. Well, its made by GoVideo I guess but they keep getting bought and sold so I'm sure someone else makes it. I guess if it was region-free and did PAL -> NTSC conversion it would be well known by now. Too bad.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
I just stumbled across one today at Best Buy a 'Cyberhome' D500. Progressive / Component outs. Plays MP3 with long filenames. They company (in LA) just put out a firmware upgrade for download that will allow it to play DVD-Audio...

and with 6 press of the remote, it's regionless.

AND.. it does PROPER PAL>NTSC Anamorphic conversion.. no squishie.. no stretchie. (no fine X-Y scaling ala Malata, but it's heads and shoulders above the Apex)

For $79, it's worth a gander.
Londo, in case you didn't know, the Apex 3201 is hackable from the remote and it also does PAL anamorphic to NTSC correctly. Its not as good as a Malata but as a cheap second player for non R1 discs thats easy to find, its not bad.

Bob H.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Bob..

Had several Apexen (is that the plural of Apex?) and I found the build quality quite 'cheap'. This Cyberhome is build like a tank and (unlike a lot of the later players that are coming out) uses a standard DVD-Rom loader on and IDE interface... nice to be able to replace it myself if it go phfft.. then again, at this price level....

It's also seems to have a decent US support presence at www.cyberhome.com, the tech people are responsive (less than a day for a lot of questions to be answered) and are doing upgrades for the unit (already adding DVD-Audio support).

All in all.. it kicks the sneedles out of the Apex.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Londo
Bob..

Had several Apexen (is that the plural of Apex?) and I found the build quality quite 'cheap'. This Cyberhome is build like a tank and (unlike a lot of the later players that are coming out) uses a standard DVD-Rom loader on and IDE interface... nice to be able to replace it myself if it go phfft.. then again, at this price level....

It's also seems to have a decent US support presence at www.cyberhome.com, the tech people are responsive (less than a day for a lot of questions to be answered) and are doing upgrades for the unit (already adding DVD-Audio support).

All in all.. it kicks the sneedles out of the Apex.
Are you sure it supports DVD-Audio "high rez" and not just the DTS/DD tracks of a "mix" disc?

http://www.cyberhome.com/tech_issues.asp?ID=13

According to this it can only do the DD/DTS tracks and playback the DVD-Video. No matter I ordered one anyway, it will be good not having to hook up the laptop to the tv to watch my R2 Buffy Season 5 :)

Also many of the Apex players are no longer hackable via remote, depending on their firmware. My Apex 1200 definitely doesn't hack. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.