AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I won't be able to get the Panasonic DVD-RP82 (and such Panasonic DVD players) as I do not live in the USA. I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. So, if there are no European equivalents of certain American model DVD players, I won't be able to get them.

However, it seems only Panasonic has this "problem" as most other companies offer American models here too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kain
Which DVD player has best overall picture and sound quality for DVD viewing?

You need to answer a few questions before we can really help . Like, do you need Progressive Scan? What will it be connected to? Do you want DVD-A or SACD? What is your budget?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I need 480p. I have a Panasonic TH-42PW5 plasma display. I don't need DVD-Audio or SACD, but that will be a nice bonus. Price range is around $700.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think the Yamaha C920, Denon 1600 or the Panasonic XP-50 will get you the best picture this side of $1000 (they all include the same Panasonic technology inside). They all 3 have DVD-A but no SACD support The Denon 3800 will get you a slightly better picture but it will be a bit above your $700 price range. I chose the Yamaha due to it being a changer and what I thought was superior DVD-A performance. I dont think you will be disappointed with any of the above mentioned units and you will find plenty of information ragarding these units here at the AVS forum.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Is the Panasonic XP50 the same as the XP30 but with DVD-A? That is, does it have the exact same video hardware etc?

Is there any difference between a Denon 1600 and a Panasonic RP82? Is the audio section of the 1600 better than that of the RP82?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Is the Panasonic XP50 the same as the XP30 but with DVD-A? That is, does it have the exact same video hardware etc?
Yes, the XP-50, XP-30 and for that matter the RP-82 are identical as far video hardware in concerned.

Quote:
Is there any difference between a Denon 1600 and a Panasonic RP82? Is the audio section of the 1600 better than that of the RP82?
Yes, the 1600 has an upgraded audio section, it uses better DACs and has a better analog output stage.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yellow,

I'm considering the C920. Can you answer a stupid question for me. Does the 920 display remaining time for a DVD movie? OK, two questions... :rolleyes: ...how satisfied are you with the audio performance with Cd's? I'll be using a Yammy RX-V995 with Energy AC3+2 bipolar speakers.

Thanks!!

Todd

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
how much is the 2900 going for?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Mulder
overall best player will be the new Denon 2900.

480p= farouja

sacd= non compressed dsd

dvd audio=mitsubishi mpeg encoding.

The best player for value and performance, no contest.get one....
You very well may be right (except for the de-interlacer.. it's a silicon image, not faroudja), but awfully hard to claim actual viewer-experience superiority without actually seeing it right? Spec sheets don't always translate perfectly into performance.

I do think/hope that the 2900 will be a very good player when it comes out (current target I believe is early May). But, Denon has had some problems in the past with its players (3800, 2800) so you can't necessarily rule out more problems initially.

I have the Yamaha 2300 and have been extremely pleased with it in all relevant formats (DVD-V/DVD-A, SACD, CD). I in fact prefer its picture to that of the Denon 3800, though both do technically suffer from chroma delay (I can't see it, but whatever), which is supposedly fixed in the 2900. Also don't forget that the 3800 replacement, the 3900, is supposed to come out this fall, and Denon I'm sure has planned performance upgrades to the 3900 over the 2900. So if the 2900 is the PERFECT PLAYER as some people like to believe, there would be no room for improvement for the 3900 but HDCD support, which they'd never be able to charge an extra $200+ for. So.. it's a wait and see. In the meantime, the 2300 is I believe the by far the best universal player for both audio and video.

MSRP on the 2900 (and the 2300 for that matter) is $999.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.