AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I am going to be buying a DVD player for my room. It has to be 5 disc, play mp3s, cdrs, cdrws, and I am going to spend 150 dollars. I found a sony for 179 and if that is better than all the other brands out there that are 150 dollars or around there then I will get the sony but can you guys help me out. Thanks

Mainly I want to add that I am looking at the Panasonic CV52 and the Sony DVP-NC615 and a Toshiba SD3805

between these 3 which is the better one? The Panasonic has a rebate but I am going to be playing cds on this as well as dvds. Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's been a while since I've had to shop for a DVD player and things sure have changed since then. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you when it comes to the evaluation game.

Although I can't help you with your specific query, I can point you to the sticky at the top of this forum containing the mini-FAQ. It's quite helpful when going through this stage.

My two-cents... figure out what your needs are (both ergonomically and technology-wise), figure out your budget (you've already done that), narrow down your selection process (you've pretty much done that, too) and then go find some review sites (do a Google search like: Toshiba SD3800 review) and sit back to do some reading.

Once that's all done, take some reference DVD's to a place to audition it. Judge for yourself. Just be aware that what you're watching it on at the store probably will not be what you have at home but you should be able to evaluate the player's ability to perform.

Like I said, just my two-cents. I hope this helps a little.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I can't find many review sites and I need something that can play dvd sometimes but yet I want it to be able to play cds and cdrs and a mp3 every once in a while. It is between these 3 players but since I live in a small town I can't test them all out at once. Please I desperatly need help. I already ordered a av receiver. I just need a 5 disc changer. What would you guys go with between these 3 models I posted above. Oh and I dont have a progressive scan tv either so I dont really need progressive scan.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know your limit is $150 but I would recommend spending a little more and getting the Panasonic CP72 5 disc changer. It can be had for around $230 shipped minus $30 mail in rebate costing you only $50 more. With this player you will get faroudja processing for the best Interlace or Progressive picture, random dvd video and dvd audio playback, random mp3 playback, VCD playback, SVCD playback, KVCD playback, CD playback, WMA playback, and it even comes in black! I love every aspect of this player and I believe you would to. Get them now while they are hot. I would recommend either www.jandr.com or www.onecall.com and have them price match with the cheapest deal you can find on net shipped.

OneCall will get it to you in 2-3 days guaranteed for the same price as most charge for UPS GROUND. Please fill us in on what you decide and remember some day you will give in to getting an HDTV so you might as well get a good progressive scan player now right?

P.S. - By the way I have tested many brands of CDR and CD-RW media burned at high speeds and this player plays them all without a hitch. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I see your point but this is my 2nd dvd player, I had a first gen sony model and I dont own a progressive scan tv and probably wont for a few years. At that point wont we all just have to buy dvd-recorders or new dvd players? Anyways though I like the suggestion. Is this a whole lot better dvd player than the CV52, for non-progressive DVDs and audio/mp3s? If it is then I will buy it. I read the cv72 has dts and dolby digital decoders built in but I am hooking the dvd player up to receiver so will the decoder be needed? oh and also is the lcd hard to read on panasonics? Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
According to Panasonic's own site, the cp72 has neither 4:4:4 or dcdi processing. Where did this rumor come from? I hate disinformation. If you doubt it, why doesent the 5-disk changer cost more than the single disk rp82??? You made me think i found a good deal...

Quote:
Originally posted by hurtz777
I know your limit is $150 but I would recommend spending a little more and getting the Panasonic CP72 5 disc changer. It can be had for around $230 shipped minus $30 mail in rebate costing you only $50 more. With this player you will get faroudja processing for the best Interlace or Progressive picture, random dvd video and dvd audio playback, random mp3 playback, VCD playback, SVCD playback, KVCD playback, CD playback, WMA playback, and it even comes in black! I love every aspect of this player and I believe you would to. Get them now while they are hot. I would recommend either www.jandr.com or www.onecall.com and have them price match with the cheapest deal you can find on net shipped.

OneCall will get it to you in 2-3 days guaranteed for the same price as most charge for UPS GROUND. Please fill us in on what you decide and remember some day you will give in to getting an HDTV so you might as well get a good progressive scan player now right?

P.S. - By the way I have tested many brands of CDR and CD-RW media burned at high speeds and this player plays them all without a hitch. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newtbert
According to Panasonic's own site, the cp72 has neither 4:4:4 or dcdi processing. Where did this rumor come from? I hate disinformation. If you doubt it, why doesent the 5-disk changer cost more than the single disk rp82??? You made me think i found a good deal...
i dont think panasonic makes any mention of dcdi on any spec sheet, although u can find the rp82 and the black rp62 listed on http://www.dcdi-video.com/products/dvd/ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
499 Posts
ROAF85,

The CP72 has much better video quality then the CV52 plus you get . This I have heard from many people. Plus you get progressive scan for future use and DVD Audio that you can play with. The LCD on the CP72 is on the right side and is very easy to see and bright. You can change its brightness level also. It is cool how it fades in and out when you turn the unit on or off. This player has been opened up and confirmed that it does have the Faroudja FLI2200 chip with DCDI and I'm not sure on the 4:4:4 processing but that is amerketing scheme anyways. I have also heard this many places but haven't seen any pics. I am thinking of opening mine and taking pics just to proof it. Everyone that has seen the RP82 and CP72 in action say the picture is the exact same. Also the retial prices state that the CP72 is $50 higher then the RP82. I just think Panasonic is trying to push these changers out quicker is why they are going cheaper. Go to this thread to see more confirming info. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197482

I hope this helps in your decision ROAF85

·
Registered
499 Posts
newtbert,

Well I popped the cover off my Panasonic CP72K disc changer one more time to take a more exetensive look then last time. Another member had mentioned to check on the back of circuit board because that is where the Sage FLI2200 chip is on the RP82. I carefully unplug the circuit board from the connector that was connecting it to the main power supply board. I flipped it over and there was the pretty Sage FLI2200 chip!!! I felt like I struck gold at that moment so I went and got my Finepix 2300 digital camera and shot some hires 1600X1200 pics of it. I am going to downsize the pictures to save bandwidth on my home page though. Does anyone know what the number on the Sage chip mean and why the CP72 Sage chip's numbers are a little higher? These pictures will prove to anyone that doesn't think the CP72 has Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 DCDI deinterlacing does indeed have it by the angles of the pictures showing it is the CP72 that has it. Please enjoy the pictures and feel free to brag at what a wonderful player and deal this player truly is.

CP72 SAGE CHIP CLOSEUP

CP72 BACK OF CIRCUIT BOARD

CP72 FRONT VIEW WITH COVER OFF

CP72 TOP VIEW WITH COVER OFF

P.S. - If you know anyplace that will host these pics please tell me. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys I owe ya for this information. I am going to get the CP72 for me since we have a wega but it is not the HD model and it isnt a HDTV, it has component jacks that we are using with our 1st gen single disc sony now. Can I take advantage of progressive scan if I dont have a HDTV? Even if I cant will the cp72 make my regular component input look alittle bit better. Oh and also, my gf is going to get one of these changers, I think the cv52 but she is not as techinal as me and has no plans to get a progressive scan tv, she doesnt watch tv much just a few movies and wants a dvd changer that can play her cds and mp3s. So this sounds like a plan right guys. I thank everyone of you who responded for all your help.

Sincerely

roaf85

·
Registered
499 Posts
Roaf85,

You can only utilize progressive scan if you have an HDTV that allows 480P or 1080i signals. Once you get the CP72 make sure it is switched to 480i which is the interlaced mode. When you upgrade to HDTV in the future you can switch it to 480p which is the progressive mode. By factory default mine came already selected in 480i mode so you shouldn't have to adjust that in the picture menu when you get the player. I do recommend tweaking the picture in the picture mneu of the CP72 when you first get it. You will see a big difference in clarity, color saturation, and sharpness by upgrading to this player from your 1st gen Sony which by the way probably has the chroma bug while this player is chroma bug free!!! This player has a top notch interlaced and progressive picture via the component output. I f your girlfriend could spare another $60 or so I would suggest to her on getting this player also for much better video quality even in interlaced, dvd-audio as a bonus, and progressive scan ready for a future HDTV purchase. These are my 2 cents. Fill me in with what you think about the CP72 once ya get it, and compare it to the Sony you have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This may be some newbie questions but what is dvd audio and why does the cp72 have dts decoder dolby digital decoder built in? I mean wouldnt a dvd decoder be useless if you have a receiver that decodes those formats? But yea I am going to get the cp72. My girlfriend I am tring to convince maybe she will see once I get it. Oh and one more question? Does the CP72 have all the features the CV52 does? Sleep timer, dialogue enhancer, and change 4 discs while one plays are some key features that are important to me. I would like these features but if it doesnt have them I might go with the Cp67. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone? I am about to hit the buy button, I just want to know if the CP72 has all the features as the models like the cv52 and cp67. Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
roaf85,

I have verirified the CP72 does have sleep timer, it does change 4 discs while one is playing, it does have 5 disc position memory even though Panasonics site says it doesn't, and it does have dialogue enhancer. it will have all the features the lower end models have plus some. Hit that buy button you won't regret it. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered the CP72, I was just wondering though. I compared the audio from the cp72 to the cp67 and cv52 and the cp72 has 192-24bit compared to the other twos 96-24bit quality. Does this mean the cp72 will have better sound in movies and also for cds mp3s? Since I will be using it for a audio changer too. Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.