AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the purchase of the projector (Toshiba MT-8) and the A/V receiver (Denon AVR-5803) recently for my home threatre (basement remodeling is in progress) and I expect to receive them toward the end of this month.

The issue is that the projector has substantial video processing capabilities built in and the receiver does all kinds of audio decoding, does it still make sense to get a high-end DVD player? I was studying the Denon DVD-2800MK2 today and the DVD-2900 thread certainly had my attention. It does not bother me to have either one at a street price of $600 to $700 even though some DSP circuitries among the PJ, the receiver, and the DVD player may become redundant That makes me wonder why modern high-end A/V receivers as thick as the AVR-5803 that are capable of crunching various A/V signals do not have built-in DVD players. I know this may sound ignorant as I am still digesting many new concepts in this field.

For example, the PJ has Faroudja FL12300 DCDi+ de-interlacer. Should I bypass the progressive scan feature of the DVD player interconnected with the A/V receiver and let the PJ handle the conversion? I assume the component connection can pass both progressive scan signal and the interlaced signal. Does the Sil504 in Denon's DVD players outperform the Faroudja chipset in the PJ? For audio processing, is the optical output from the DVD player raw? If it is, a simpler DVD player with optical output and no 5.1 composite outputs should do just as well as the high-end DVD players in my case because the receiver can perform the same function.

Thanks in advance for educating me.

Mason

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.