AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta get me a good black DVD player, just not sure which one. What do you guys recommend? Any specific features that i need to look for?

·
Registered
276 Posts
...I think you'll find the lack of response due to the fact that no oneon this particular forum uses set top box's. We are all getting better results with the HTPC.

Try posting again, but on the hardware section.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What gave you the idea that i would post about a set-top box DVD player in the HTPC forum? :)

PC DVD PLAYERS PEOPLE! DAMMIT! :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
So are you asking about DVD-ROM drives, or software players? I assume the former, since you mentioned it should be 'black' (I think the SW players all produce black screens equally well :D ). One option is to get a Toshiba player, and buy the separate black bezel for it. Not perfect, but better than spray paint (IMHO).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah painting it is no big deal. Ok so besides silence, is there anything i need to look for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
The ASUS x8 is available up here for $60CAD (roughly $38USD) from NCIX.COM. I think they sell to the US as well.
Can this drive be made region free?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kal
Region free? No idea on that one. Never tried as I only play region-1 discs. Probably not via hardware, but I thought any this was possible via software for any DVD-ROM (?).

Kal
Ok, I found the answer to my question. The drive is RPC1 so it's region free.

If you've got an RPC2 DVD-ROM, you need to flash in hacked firmware to make it region free.

Here are some good sites:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzen.../dvd/dvdfi.htm

http://www.ddigest.com/dvd/downloads/region_rom.html

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Just replaced my Toshiba 1402 (now in my other PC) with this Lite-On LTD163 for $54. It's 16X DVD but runs at lower speed when playing so it makes no noise (except at startup). It also has no pausing or stalling problems and has a 512KB buffer.

The only wierd thing I noticed is after a long 10 min "pause" it will spin down, which causes an audio hiccup while it syncs back up after hitting "play" again. I never noticed this with the Toshiba.

Painting it black worked out quite well. If you want region free go here and look up your model.

Carey

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,

Here are my experiences with the second generation Asus 612 DVD-ROM. This is the 12X v. and as supplied is an RPC 2 drive. However to change this to RPC 1, you just need to remove a

jumper at the back. It's that simple!

A second feature is that the drive mechanism is suspended so this reduces vibration from and to the drive. It is definitely quiet. Asus do not use OEM products as far as I know.

One other interesting feature is an emergency disc ejector through a slot should the drawer mechanism fails.

All this translate into a reliable and good performer.

I think Asus just released an even faster 18X machine recently but I do not know whether this could be made into RPC 1. Forgot the model no. I feel there is not much advantage in getting the fastest drive for plain DVD playback. In my setup the pq is MOST STABLE when the drive is optimised for single speed playback and supplemental cache is at minimum. There is least shudder and jerkiness in this configuration.

Regards

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can anyone confirm that any of the drives mentioned are actually good? :D Would be great to hear a second opinion.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
you are funny.:) 2nd opinion?

The Aopen sounds like a good choice. I have a Toshiba 1502 which works very well for me. I only hear it when it starts up the movie. and I have a quiet htpc. my stb sony 650 dvd player makes more noise. If you are not going to use a CDRW in your system as well, than I would suggest going with a DVD drive that can playback quietly, but can also grab data and audio off of cds at a decent rate. This Toshiba fits that bill.

have a nice day.:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it looks like i'm going to need a 16x DVD. I want to be able to copy the DVD's to my hard drive, so i can do all kinds of fun stuff with em. And i think i'd appreciate the extra speed. So i need a drive that's 16x, but that can slow down to 1x (or whatever is the minimum) while it's playing DVD's. It'd also help if it was easy to make it region-free but i don't think i really care about that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered the LITEON LTD-163 drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.