AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more than disapointed with all my research so far in trying to get the best dvd quality possible. Quality of a still image is great using xine+xv. Mplayer does a good job but it doesn't have menu's that work well. I still need to test ogle. I have tried XvMC on xine and mplayer but the video quality isn't that good.

My main problem is smooth video when a camera pans. Also, it appears that many frames are skipped (or something else) when not panning. I'm running at 60hz to try and reduce XFree not handling syncing and knowing when frames are drawn. I am running on overlay to stop shearing.

I'm just curious what others have found to be the best for DVD playback. Right now, I'd take a little dip in quality if video was smoother.

I'm running on an AMD 2600, 333mhz fsb, 60hz on video card and display (Projector) and having a large image makes smooth (or non smooth) video much more noticible.

--Brandon

·
Registered
18 Posts
This probably isn't the answer your looking for..

I have a 500MHz machine with i810 video which supports TVout. I run Redhat7.3 and some recent version of Mplayer. I typically play files from the hard-disk (are you sure you have DMA enabled on your DVD drive?) And the picture is very good, as good as my Tivo at least. It isn't as sharp as my progressive scan DVD player though, but I don't suffer from motion judder.

You might want to tell us what graphics card you have - Some nVidia by the sound of it as only they and the i810 support XvMC. BTW, XvMC works best on the MX420/MX440/MX460 which do both motion comp and idct.. YMMV with other nvidias.

Again, this won't help you, but I get very nice decoding of HDTV 1920x1080 with the MX460 with XvMC on a 3GHz P4/800FSB.. I get 120 fields/second - so it's way fast enough :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you use Xv output, then it depends on the graphics card and XFree86 driver. Some drivers swaps at vertical retrace, some don't.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am running Redhat 9 on a computer with a P4 1.8GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and a Geforce FX 5600 using the most recent nvidia driver.

I tested video performance using xine and mplayer with the opening battle scene with the Germans in Gladiator. I have noticed with my projector (Infocus LP350) and an old Toshiba DVD player that this scene seems difficult to play back correctly.

With both xine and mplayer, I thought the playback of this scene was better than with my DVD player. Judder is minimal or non-existant.

I prefer xine for DVD, but more for the contrast or brightness than smoothness, which seemed equal for both players.

I hope to be able to try DVD playback through DVI into my projector soon. At the moment, I have only used a CRT monitor.

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using an NVIDIA Geforce 4 FX5200. (latest NVIDIA drivers as of 3 weeks ago).

For my test, I have Monster Inc on DVD and a perfect rip on my HD (using mythdvd rip). My test scene is when Scully goes to the sushi restaurant where Mike and his girlfriend are at. The scene starts with a cook cutting something in half, and then a waiter grabs some food and starts walking to the left. At that point the screen starts to pan left.

My DVD player (Sharp w/Fourdja (sp...) DCDI @ 480P) pans very well (completely Smooth) although blurred. For playing with Xine via a DVD drive or off of a Harddrive, you can easily see it stutter about 10 times over 5 seconds (I believe it's mostly random locations/times when it stutters).

I probably still need to try mpeg_player and some real "mpeg2 only" decoders and see how well it works. Some dvd players run embedded linux and I've read elsewhere that they use mpeg2_play or something.

If anyone has some other tips for me to try, let me know. I'll post results on the Linux HTPC how-to.

--Brandon

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello,

is the player in Linux so importend? In Windows the importend part is the video and audio filter. IIRC use both, mplayer and xine the same filters so there should be no difference - is this wrong?

·
Registered
374 Posts
For stutter/judder, the player is absolutely important since it controls the clock and timing. There is no standard framework like DirectShow under Linux - each player has it's own internal architecture, even though they do typically share many of the decoding filters.

I have been intending to play with this for a while, but I have moved to tvtime and a standalone dvd player for the moment. I have a Pioneer 45A universal, and doing this allowed me to use the DD and DTS decoders in the player since I was running 5.1 analog for DVD-A and SACD anyway.

I haven't looked at this in exhaustive detail, but I'm under the impression that most of the players end up letting the audio clock drive things since any other approach requires resampling. It might be necessary to spend some time tweaking your modelines to try to get your video timings as close as possible to your actual audio clock. I'm not sure there is an easy to do this, though - I was thinking along the lines of trying to write some code that counts video refresh and audio interrupts over a period of time, but I never got off the ground.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In movietime I resampled the audio to match our own internal clock. Kinda cool since I could change the speed of our clock and everyone's voices would go lower pitch and stuff. Kinda cool because I could use that to play a PAL DVD at 24fps instead of the sped-up 25fps but I never tested that.

If someone wants to revive my movietime code though it might be kinda neat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm doing using an audio excel cmi8378 or 8738 (Whatever that chipset is) for Optical TOSLINK/passthrough. My receiver is decoding the audio. I'm not sure if this would make syncing more or less difficult. I am running 60hz to a projector to help with the "get a lucky sync and things will look better". :)

Any tips with this new info?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbeattie
For playing with Xine via a DVD drive or off of a Harddrive, you can easily see it stutter about 10 times over 5 seconds (I believe it's mostly random locations/times when it stutters).
Since it's random I think we can rule out both not using dma, and not using raw dvd devices?

You can try changing the Xine setting num_buffers under video, and also av_sync_method and oss_sync_method under audio. (Are you using oss or alsa?)

Are you seeing any "200 frames delivered, XX frames skipped, YY frames discarded", with XX or YY higher than xero, or any "video_out: throwing away image with pts xxx because it's too old" messages?

Also, as a last resort you can try running Xine without any audio, to see if the problem is related to audio at all, using xine -A null.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello,

let's come back to this question. I compiled Xine yesterday and my first impression is a smoother video that mplayer. Really great is the GUI. MPlayer has a lot of features especially the filters (sharpness, denoise...). I don't know a MPlayer gui where you can configure this so you have to use the command line. It's ok, but a gui is easier.

Are there some xine users here with some tweaks? The configuration is so full of features that I would like to get some tricks ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello,

one additional question.

In which way is the desktop environment or window maker importend. Is it better to use a slim one with less capacity usage?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.