AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading avs for years and it's helped with speaker, receiver, and much more information. Now I'm stuck.

I want to put my dvd movies (cinderella, blues brothers, winnie the poo, etc.) on my computer so I can access them from my ps3 or appletv or some other machine.

I thought it would be like ripping cd's into mp3 and playing them however. But it's not, right? After searching, it looks like if I back them up on my machine into mp4's I'll be stealing them, and there's no legal way to do it. Is this right?

I've seen and read about media servers that swallow 200 dvd's for home viewing. Is there some special legal software or codec that allows these machines to do this but I can't on my dell?

Any simple suggestion will be VERY helpful to the baby who likes my concert dvds.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If you own the original disc it can not be considered stealing. Search "TVersity" for some good adice from fellow members on media servers for PS3. Turd Furguson also has a web site that goods into good detail. I believe its called "hillbillyhardware"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I already have windows media successfully running to my ps3 for music and photos. What I need is a way to get all of my dvd's onto the network.

How do the "media servers" do it? Can I go to my local CompUSA and buy a shrinkwrapped box of software that will accomplish this? Or do I need to download free/shareware from who knows who to make this happen?

Sorry if this is an easy question, but there seems to be no simple answer (after hours of searching)

Thanks again,

Jason

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14166767

I've been reading avs for years and it's helped with speaker, receiver, and much more information. Now I'm stuck.

I want to put my dvd movies (cinderella, blues brothers, winnie the poo, etc.) on my computer so I can access them from my ps3 or appletv or some other machine.

I thought it would be like ripping cd's into mp3 and playing them however. But it's not, right? After searching, it looks like if I back them up on my machine into mp4's I'll be stealing them, and there's no legal way to do it. Is this right?

I've seen and read about media servers that swallow 200 dvd's for home viewing. Is there some special legal software or codec that allows these machines to do this but I can't on my dell?

Any simple suggestion will be VERY helpful to the baby who likes my concert dvds.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Why do you feel ripping music isn't "stealing" but ripping movies is?

CD

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14166767

it looks like if I back them up on my machine into mp4's I'll be stealing them, and there's no legal way to do it.

Then why do you want to do it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/14168080

Why do you feel ripping music isn't "stealing" but ripping movies is?

CD

That's why I titled the thread the way I did. I DON'T feel "ripping" my 200 cd music collection was stealing it. I already paid for it, I just want to listen to it in a way that's different from putting it into a cd player. I guess lots of other people do too.

It was easy. And I can choose from lots of different files and ways to play them. My question is, is there an easy way to do the same thing for the dvd's that I own?

I'm thinking probably not.

Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J /forum/post/14168215

Then why do you want to do it?

This is from my original post:

I OWN 60 or so dvd's. I want to put them on my computer (or something) so I can call them up to watch them without having to mess around with the dvd player every time. Am I the only person who wants to do this without having to buy a $3,000 media server?

Thanks to the original responder, hillbilly seems to have the steps down to make it happen. I guess there's no shrinkwrapped solution to this.

Jason

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14168230

That's why I titled the thread the way I did. I DON'T feel "ripping" my 200 cd music collection was stealing it. I already paid for it, I just want to listen to it in a way that's different from putting it into a cd player. I guess lots of other people do too.

It was easy. And I can choose from lots of different files and ways to play them. My question is, is there an easy way to do the same thing for the dvd's that I own?

I'm thinking probably not.

Jason

Yes there are plenty of ways to do it...but you still didn't answer my question. Are you saying you didn't buy these movies??

CD

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14168261

Am I the only person who wants to do this without having to buy a $3,000 media server?

The Popcorn Hour is a $179 media player that will do it. But it seems you found out it is not legal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/14168272

Yes there are plenty of ways to do it...but you still didn't answer my question. Are you saying you didn't buy these movies??

CD

Wow, did you read the post you just quoted? Or my post above it? In both posts I say OWN. That's right, I OWN 60 dvd's that I'd like to convert.

Does anyone have anything constructive to say to help out here after READING my posts???

Thanks again, in advance, to those who do,

Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J /forum/post/14168312

The Popcorn Hour is a $179 media player that will do it. But it seems you found out it is not legal.

I didn't come across this in my searches... after reading some reviews, it seems like it's legal, but is it just a streamer like windows media I use now to play my music and pictures on my ps3, or does it convert my dvd's into something to stream as well?

Jason

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14168313

Wow, did you read the post you just quoted? Or my post above it? In both posts I say OWN. That's right, I OWN 60 dvd's that I'd like to convert.

Does anyone have anything constructive to say to help out here after READING my posts???

Thanks again, in advance, to those who do,

Jason

Jason, maybe you should read you're own posts. In your first post you say you've been ripping CDs, and want to do the same thing with DVDs, but that you consider it "stealing". So I ask what I thought was a pretty logical question (and I think everyone is asking as well) which is why is ripping a DVD "stealing", but ripping a CD (in your mind) isn't? Then you say:

"I DON'T feel "ripping" my 200 cd music collection was stealing it. I already paid for it, I just want to listen to it in a way that's different from putting it into a cd player..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound like you're saying ripping your CDs isn't "stealing" because you already paid for them? Why would you make that distinction if you had also paid for the DVDs?? Again, how is it different?

You know what, strike that; I couldn't care less.

CD

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/14168628

Jason, maybe you should read you're own posts. In your first post you say you've been ripping CDs, and want to do the same thing with DVDs, but that you consider it "stealing". So I ask what I thought was a pretty logical question (and I think everyone is asking as well) which is why is ripping a DVD "stealing", but ripping a CD (in your mind) isn't? Then you say:

"I DON'T feel "ripping" my 200 cd music collection was stealing it. I already paid for it, I just want to listen to it in a way that's different from putting it into a cd player..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that sound like you're saying ripping your CDs isn't "stealing" because you already paid for them? Why would you make that distinction if you had also paid for the DVDs?? Again, how is it different?

You know what, strike that; I couldn't care less.

CD

Again, read the first post. I never said I "consider it stealing."

This is what I said: "I thought it would be like ripping cd's into mp3 and playing them however. But it's not, right? After searching, it looks like if I back them up on my machine into mp4's I'll be stealing them, and there's no legal way to do it. Is this right?"

I said it LOOKS like it's stealing, because there doesn't appear to be an off the shelf solution to convert them like cd's. I'm not making the distinction. It seems that the motion picture industry is.

That's the basic question you obtuse jerk. Why can I copy/convert cd's that I bought, but it seems that I can't do the same for dvd's?

Again, can anyone tell me if there is an off the shelf solution for this? Or maybe this guy has helped me answer my own question.... that there is not an easy, legal solution, but that because I own them, converting them for my own use would not be a crime, just extremely inconvenient with a steep learning curve and tools like CDLehner out there to make it more fun along the way.

Jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow360f /forum/post/14168671

Jason , identify yourself. who are you? why are you here? you only have 37 posts and confusing people here.

Wow, I never encountered this in the speaker or receiver forums. I guess I've stumbled into a paranoid group of file sharer/stealers who instead of offering helpful advice on how to get my legally aquired dvd's onto my computer for viewing on my tv have nothing better to do than post snarky replies that help no one.

Yellow, you have only 95 posts and your first post makes no sense at all. Did you read my original post?

Jason

Jason

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
In defense of the original poster, it appears that Jason actually owns the CDs and DVDs he would like to convert to a more convenient format. I think the use of the term "rip" for cross-convert may have come across the wrong way and the use of "stealing" in the subject line may have reflected Jason's feeling that there was no convenient, off the shelf way of converting the DVDs to a more portable format.

I for one buy all the media I view and listen to. I think the content providers have shot themselves in the foot by making it so complicated and inconvenient to view media we've already paid them for in the manner that is most convenient. DRM does little to deter professional pirates in the US, Europe, Russia and Asia, but it annoys the hell out of paying customers.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/14168738

Wow, I never encountered this in the speaker or receiver forums. I guess I've stumbled into a paranoid group of file sharer/stealers who instead of offering helpful advice on how to get my legally aquired dvd's onto my computer for viewing on my tv have nothing better to do than post snarky replies that help no one.

Yellow, you have only 95 posts and your first post makes no sense at all. Did you read my original post?

Jason

Jason

Ripping music and DVDs are basically equivalent and providing you own the material you can make a similar argument for either under fair use.

I'm not familiar with ripping for the PS3 or Appletv. I would check out the PS3 forum here in Home Theater Gaming (same subforum as this) and possibly Doom9.org. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

My standard for DVD ripping was either maintaining a complete ISO image of the disc or extracting the VOB files and using Gordian Knot or AutoGK to convert to Xvid. If Xvid works for you I would highly recommend AutoGK, the results are vastly (my mother instantly noticed) better than many of the paid for offerings and it is free.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG /forum/post/14168919

In defense of the original poster, it appears that Jason actually owns the CDs and DVDs he would like to convert to a more convenient format.

Does that make it legal?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Blu-Ray discs are now coming out bundled with a digital copy for use in other devices. These seem legal don't they?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts