AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask this is because all movies seem to have different color tones, and I'm wondering if someone discovered a "middle-of-the-road" DVD that seems to work well for most other sources. I'm not really fond of the AVIA stuff, since I prefer to see flesh tones and the like.

I adjusted my set to AOTC, and that film looks very impressive, but then...Episode I doesn't look as good. LOTR has a sickly greenish hue to it in dark scenes, and I have to switch to a cool temp to compensate. And so on....

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
I would suggest you check your gray scale tracking and color decoder. The new DVE includes filters that are very good compared to AVIA that can help you set your decoder properly. Color shifts at low light levels could be a gray scale problem. LOTR is not the best film for color accuracy.

The Superbit version of The Fifth Element where Lilu is on the ledge is a very good scene for checking skin tone colors. I use various scenes in AOTC, Fifth Element, LOTR, Episode One, LOA, Toy Story, Shrek, Gattaca Superbit as well as VE montage of images to check my settings as well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Using DVD movies to adjust color is a bad idea. Each director likes to emphasize certain colors. You will never get rid of the green tint in Matrix.:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ein
You will never get rid of the green tint in Matrix.
This is true. The "in matrix" scenes were all given a greenish tint, and the "real world" scenes were all given a blush tint. This was done intentionally by the director. Your best bet is to first adjust your set to a standard (AVIA, VE, DVE, or the like) then tweak it to your preference. No two movies, or broadcast signals are alike so setting the TV based on any one feed can really muck up the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.