AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to DVD recording and just received my Philips DVDR3575H/37. Which DVD would be best to use in this recorder...DVD+R or DVD-R? I'll mainly be using it to transfer video from my Panasonic Mini-DV camcorder and to record TV programs.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wajo.

Costco has 16x TDK DVD+R or DVD-R with a "buy one, get one" coupon that is good through tomorrow.

Mark

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Yep, picked me up a couple(100 pack spindles) yesterday! Great deal should last me for years! I personally got the -R's.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Since TDK doesn't make their own consumer DVDs anymore, and Imation is handling TDK now, no telling what MID they'll have... they might just last 10 days! Imation also bought Memorex, so there's a wicked trifecta right there!?

Did you check the MID on those TDKs you picked up?

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Actually I haven't even opened them yet. I still must have more that 100 Maxell's & Verbatims opened. I just couldnt pass up the price, $32/200.

I thought TDK was good? I know they made good audio/video tapes. Since there not opened I suppose I could return them.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll never know who made those TDKs w/o opening a pkg or someone else testing the same discs from same place with the 3575's MID utility.

Today, TDK is a crapshoot! Verbatim seems to be consistently good, even when they let the dreaded CMC make them, since Verbatim *sometimes/always* makes them useVerbatim tools and media.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I passed up the TDK's from Costco. The DVD's that I make will need to last a long time since they are of my daughter's basketball games through the years. Guess I should keep the Mini DV tapes of each game too just in case.

wajo, you mentioned Verbatim as being good. Which ones would be best for my application? 16x DVD+R, 16x DVD-R, 8x, 4x, Double Layer, Digital Movie? Looks like lots of choices from doing some Google research.

I don't know much about all this so be patient. I want to make sure my grandchildren will be able to watch their mother play basketball when she was a youngster.

Mark

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Mark, It's sort of tough deciding on good media you really want to last a long time.

If shopping online, the "best" discs you can get will prob. be Taiyo Yuden Premium from supermediastore.com or rima.com. I've not personally ordered TY from either, and there seems to be lots of packaging choices that some people find confusing.

The 3575 seems to like the slower-speeds for dubbing (faster high-speed dubs), so I'd get 8X if I could find them, or 1-16X if not (most readily available everywhere).

Another good choice might be Verbatim 8X if you can find, or again, 1-16X should be readily available. You should be able to find Verbs locally, so easier to return if you get a bad batch.

Whatever you get, make sure you test the first blank before burning and compare the Manufatrurer's ID (MID) to the two web sites on DVD quality (see link to the DVD subject I gave earlier).

I recommend +Rs cuz it's "native" to Philips and they do have a better design for error correction, etc. I remember one long-time user posting his "epiphany" on +R/RWs where he used to get low 90% ratings on his burns with -Rs but got high 90% ratings from +Rs. There only "knock" is they won't have all FF/REW speeds on Pioneer, Panasonic and some other DVD-Video DVDRs (the 3575 is a +VR DVDR... diff. std).

Sorry this can't be a "set in stone" answer, but I don't think there is such a thing in DVD selection. This is a contentious subject here so I'm sure you'll hear from others also.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I agree with Wajo, if you have a 3575 go with the + discs, as he said they are native to Philips. And about the search speeds, the +RW's do have some rather odd search speeds on my Panny's, but the type you would probably be using the +R's seem just fine after finalizing, even on the Panny's.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/12866767

I thought TDK was good? I know they made good audio/video tapes. Since there not opened I suppose I could return them.

I have a recent 25-pk. that a friend gave me to record some things for him with that have had problems playing on some players, so I don't think I'd trust them.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Well I should have followed the old adage.....if it sounds too good to be true......

But the 200/$32 price was sure good.

The last thing I need is my discs acting up. It's hard enough keeping the recorders working correctly.

Too bad a company like TDK, which had such a great name in Audio/Video tape, had to take the low road with DVD's

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Almost all the suppliers have their DVDs made by the same manufacturers in Taiwan and China now, regardless of what brand name they have on the outside. Even the few brands that still make their own in Japan (like Toyo Yuden) are widely counterfeited, so ordering them online from a cheap supplier is a gamble.

I think the rules to follow these days are:

1. Buy known brand names anyway, because at least they won't be the cheapest junk quality.

2. Don't gamble on buying a large batch before you've tested a few with your recorder. There's no way to tell what you're getting without testing. Even the media ID may be counterfeited.

I haven't had much problem recording any of my existing batches of DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs with the 3575 though.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Verbatims are good. However, I've found that the cheap no-name or brand name on sale works fine. At 15 to 20 cents a disc, I don't really care if I get a coaster or not. Honestly, I've never coastered a disc on my 3575H/37--only when recording on my computer. The no-name discs recorded on my 3575H/37 playback fine on my finicky Toshiba HD DVD players.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I agree that if a person is using the option to HS dub off the HDD of the 3575 it might not matter if the burn fails, but if I'm recording straight to DVD and the burn fails, and it was my only chance on getting that program, that's when I care.

I also worry somewhat even if the disc does burn and finalize, what is the chances it has lots of errors, but just good enough to play now. Then say in 6 months, it's a no-go.

To me if there is a chance spending a little more on a disc now, will insure it playing 5yrs. down the line, I would sure be inclined to spend the money now. JMO

It's hard enough keeping this new hardware working, let alone chancing it on possible inferior media. If people say they have had problems with TDK, I guess it's not worth the chance for me. Honestly a lot of my media is Philips -R 8x, and even my 3 yr. old DVD's all play fine. I guess I've never heard people comment on Philips, but they do have a good price point also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts