AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched on here and found that one person recommended a Pacific DVI switch, but I am not spending $250 on a DVI switch (I will get up and manuelly switch the cables before I pay that).

Please give me a recommendation about where to buy a reasonably priced one. It would be nice to have one that could be controlled by a remote like the Harmony models. However, that depends on the price. I saw some KVM switches on ebay that have DVI connections. I used a Linksys KVM switch for a few years for a PC setup and was happy with it. Unless somebody suggests something different, I am going to purchase one of these on ebay for under $100 hopefully. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dont trust the quality of the KVM switches... Im saving up to replace my receiver with a reciever that has DVI/HDMI switching capabilities

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like good equipment, but the price on a 2 to 1 DVI switcher is $250. Is that how much a decent one is going to cost?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC
Looks like good equipment, but the price on a 2 to 1 DVI switcher is $250. Is that how much a decent one is going to cost?
That's pretty much how it is. Oddly enough the more inputs don't mean a relatively higher cost. You can get a quality 5 input 1 output DVI switcher (supports up to 1080p) that even switches toslink and coaxial digital audio on each input for only double the cost of a $250 2 input DVI switcher that only switches video.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Ophit has a switch under $200.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That Ophit looks nice. Anyone out there using it? I'm not a big fan of Gefen's stuff. I have their cat5 vga-usb extenders, and they are expensive and underperform even at 75 feet.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. That looks like a very good deal, Kei. I like the fact that it has a remote, so I could use a learning remote with it!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Glad to find this thread. I think there are more threads and posts on this topic in HDTV equipment forum but this is also a good place.

I am in the market for a DVI switch but what I want/need does not yet seem to exist.

I need a 2 x 1 DVI switch with remote control with analog stereo audio AND SPDIF switching. I have found DVI switches that include SPDIF switching and DVI switches with analog audio switching but not both.

So I wait and hope.

Anyone seen one yet?

DFA

·
Registered
772 Posts
If you are going to use it for HTPC like watching High Definition TV, I think you have to make sure that the switches are HDCP (High Def Content Protection?) compliant. Research very carefully before you buy. Gefen web site has a good description of what you need to look for. I know it's a conflict of interest but I think Gefen is right.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Hmmm. There's a strange spec on that Ophit switch.

It says the max resolution is 1280x1024, but single link DVI is supposed to be able to handle 1600x1200. I wonder what's going on inside that switch that is limiting the resolution?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Although 1.65Gbps should allow for 1920x1080/1600x1200 resolutions, the final results are dependent on almost every other aspect....i.e. the chip used in the switch, the circuit design, the data integrity from the source, the cable used, etc. The 1280x1024 is a minimum spec and just being on the safe side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife
Hmmm. There's a strange spec on that Ophit switch.

It says the max resolution is 1280x1024, but single link DVI is supposed to be able to handle 1600x1200. I wonder what's going on inside that switch that is limiting the resolution?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.