AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have ATI 9700Pro card that I would like to use and build HTPC from my old AMD XP2000+, now I went on wikipedia and got really confused under "Connector" section where it explains different connector combinations Link

I recently bought Panasonic TH-42PX6U Link

Will I get great picture with this cable from mono price Link

also is my card "o.k."

any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 9700Pro is pretty old, but has awesome PQ. I used to have one and it still stands as the best card I ever owned (in it's time). It depends on what you want to do with the system. For gaming you can't play anything too recent with high settings, but for watching movies it will be just fine.

As for you cable- I have never heard of that brand, but it seems too cheap to be true- I'd beware that cable. But for under $5 you can't really go wrong, so give it a try and if it works out OK, make sure you post so we know about this incredible deal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
do a seach on MonoPrice. Most people on this sight swear by them. I have yet to see a bad review.

If you want good quality cables at a very low buy MonoPrice. If you want to blow your money away buy the $60-150 cable that will have absoulty no difference is pic quality.

I personally use HDMI-DVI (MONOPRICE) for my HTPC. Works great with my 61" 1080P DLP

2 HDMI Premium for my HD-DVD play going through my amp. again picture quality is perfect

2 HDMI cables for my Direct TV and upconverting DVD player/DVR attached to my 42" plasma. Again works great.

I boufght a 25' sub cable and also some optical and component. Im my book these cables are the same or better quality than ones that cost 3x as much.

The HDMI premium cables impressed me the most with the net jacketing and ultra thick cable. I acutally return my $60 one that I got at BB cause it looked and felt cheaper than the

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
you'd be much better off getting a DVI-HDMI adapter and a HDMI-HDMI cable.... later, when you buy a new video card that is HDCP/HDMI you'll be glad you did...

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
you'd be much better off getting a DVI-HDMI adapter and a HDMI-HDMI cable.... later, when you buy a new video card that is HDCP/HDMI you'll be glad you did...

I agree. Get a solid HDMI cable. Most everyone can always use a decent HDMI cable for their applications. When parts of your PC, and home theater system change, there is that HDMI cable ready to be used again.

I just got a few Gefen HDMI Cables . I have generally seen their products last longer.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by areallygoodname /forum/post/0

I just got a few Gefen HDMI Cables . I have generally seen their products last longer.

Just how often do you "see" other brands of cables that haven't "lasted" very long? I'm just as happy today with the Audioquest cables I've hooked to my speakers in my 2ch. music system as I was in 1986 when I bought the speakers. It doesn't seem that cables should have much of a shelf life, maybe 30-50% of a person's lifespan, provided you don't expose them to spray from the ocean, orange juice from your kid's sippy cup or the pressure from your audio rack sitting on top of them.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer /forum/post/0

Just how often do you "see" other brands of cables that haven't "lasted" very long? I'm just as happy today with the Audioquest cables I've hooked to my speakers in my 2ch. music system as I was in 1986 when I bought the speakers. It doesn't seem that cables should have much of a shelf life, maybe 30-50% of a person's lifespan, provided you don't expose them to spray from the ocean, orange juice from your kid's sippy cup or the pressure from your audio rack sitting on top of them.

Good point - I thought exactly the same thing ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the replies!

Confusion is still there

Before I saw this deal on mono price I went to RadioShack and got this $49.99 cable Link

I haven't spend to much time with settings but just out of the box I was dissapointed

with the PQ on my Plasma, text for hard to read and small HDTV trailers didn't look

all that good,

confusion is that cable from RadioShack has DVI that looks like this Link

and the one at mono price looks like this Link

I was planing to use my old AMD XP2000+ for HTPC with my old ATI 9700Pro

since I just order parts for my new rig,

Intel C2D E6600

ASUS P5B Deluxe

Corsair XMS2 2GB

ATI 1950Pro

2 x Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.10

Antec P180 Case

Antec Neo HE 550w PS

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.