AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was considering between the Energy Take Classic 5.1 @ $599 or putting together a system with 4 Energy C50's, 1 C-C50 center and a sub, like the Energy ESW-10, @ a total cost of $450-$500. Anyone ever do a performance comparison between the Classic 5.1 and the C50 setup, or can comment on them individually?

Thanks in advance,

Matty

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
 World Wide Stereo is having a closeout sale on Energy speakers.

A 5.1 package costs around $515, 5.0 costs around $400.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,

Thank you for the info; I did see that and was one of the reasons why I was asking about the two systems. It appears you could get a better system by going the C50/C-C50/Sub at a cheaper price, yes?

Matty

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Forget about the Polk 6750 if you care anything about quality. The sub is 6 pieces of particle board stapled together – it's horrendous, still priced $150 too much. Generally, bigger is better. The 4 ½” woofer on the C-50 should be better than the 3” woofer on the Take.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danuhoh /forum/post/15587786

Hi all,

I was considering between the Energy Take Classic 5.1 @ $599 or putting together a system with 4 Energy C50's, 1 C-C50 center and a sub, like the Energy ESW-10, @ a total cost of $450-$500. Anyone ever do a performance comparison between the Classic 5.1 and the C50 setup, or can comment on them individually?

Thanks in advance,

Matty

First thing, if you want the Take Classic 5.1 setup, find a friend with a Costco card. Its $399 there.

The Energy C50/C-C50 with sub will produce better sound than Take 5 classic for less or equivalent money. They don't have the glossy finish of the Take Classic and sub, but they'll fill the room better.

If you can afford one of the complete Energy packages on wwstereo.com, go for that. You can save $15 by getting the $399 5.0 package and then adding the 8" sub for $99 seperately. They need to adjust the price of the 5.1 package accordingly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy,

I would love a Costco up here in Albany NY.....:-(

CC has the Take Classic at $599 with 10% off currently, I may hold out until they lower prices further. I would love the 5.0 Energy setup you reference but can't do the size. My living room has a dedicated 2 channel system already in there so the HT system is going to have to "share" the room, thus the small footprint I am looking for.

The Definitve Tech PC-60 package looks attractive at $499 too.

Decisions....decisions.........

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'd recommend the 5.0 with 4 C50 and 1 C-C50, along with ESW-8/10.

I have a 3.1 with the C-50's and C-C50, along with a Speaker Ccompany ASW-8 sub (clone of ESW-8). I have been very impressed with this little setup.

I have not heard the Take Classic setup, but you'd be getting smaller speakers, essentially the same sub, and a very cheap looking gloss finish... Yes, I have seen them at Costco, and this is not a furniture grade gloss black laquered MDF finish...it is very cheap looking.

Based on the specs along, I would think you SHOULD get more performance out of the C-series setup. For looks, whether going with black or cherry C-series, IMO they are way better looking than the Take Classics. And they are still small speakers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone seen the Take Classic at a Costco in the NY/NJ area? My local store doesn't have it but I'm willing to drive to another location.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
The C-50, C-C50 with an esw-8 is the better combo. You'd be getting 4.5" drivers in the c-50 package vs 3" drivers in the Take Classic.

The C-50 system will sound much fuller.

And its even cheaper too. You could get a 7.1 setup of the C-50 speakers cheaper than the $399 Take Classic at Costco.

C-50 are $70/pr from audio advisor thru amazon.com. Free shipping too.

C-C50 center is $79 shipped at wwstereo.com

ESW-8 is $99 shipped at wwstereo.com

So you could get a 5.1 C-50/C-C50/ESW-8 package for $320 and 7.1 for $390 shipped.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15631936

C-50 are $70/pr from audio advisor thru amazon.com. Free shipping too.

Just noticed. On Amazon you can get these with free shipping but is says there is only 1 pair left available from Audio Advisor.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
If you can afford one of the complete Energy packages on wwstereo.com, go for that. You can save $15 by getting the $399 5.0 package and then adding the 8" sub for $99 seperately. They need to adjust the price of the 5.1 package accordingly.

How does the ESW-8 compare to a PA-120? I am considering an Energy 5 & was wondering if it would be worth the extra $150 for the PA-120.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
PA-120 will play deeper, fuller and have more quality bass than the little ESW-8. Yeah, its worth it.

Here's a reply from batbig in another Energy thread about the PA-120 sub.
Quote:
Sure is, my friend has the older e:XL-S8, my other friend has the ESW-8, and I used to own the S8.2 before upgrading to the BIC VK-12 (very similar but slightly better than the PA-120 from what I've heard).

The difference is huge -- if you search this thread back a ways for posts by me with the phrase "VK-12", you'll find some things I've said. The biggest thing is not so much the quantity, it's the quality of the bass. I (as many newbies are) was under the mistaken impression that when you get a bigger sub it's just to make the windows rattle more. But the thing that shocked me was how much smoother, richer, and fuller the bass sounded, and how much better music sounded. A big 12" sub just doesn't have to try as hard as the little 8-incher, so as a consequence it ends up being effortless and smooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts