AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking into the Connosseur line. I am planning on listening to the C7's and CC1 center this weekend.

But I am unsure about the rears and surrounds.

Some options include: 4 CR3's, or 2 CR3's for surrounds and 2 C1's for rears, or 2 CR1's for surrounds and 2 C1's for rears.

I could go on and on but for some reason I am drawn to the last option I noted. This seems to provide the greatest matching of drivers because every speaker will have similiar drivers (5.5" woofers and 1" tweeters).

Any opinions? What setups are you running? Are the CR3's much better than the CR1's?

Thanks,

Gerry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Gerry, I have C7s, CC1, and two CR3s. I can't compare the CR3 and CR1 as I have only listened to the CR3. If this is any indication, I've tried changing the settings on the CR3 so that they're direct radiators and they sounded good as fronts. They're more flexible than the CR1 regarding placement, which may be an issue for your space. My suspicion is that the CR1 performs pretty much as well as the 3 for surround duty when set up properly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The CR3 surrounds, IMO, are noticeably better than the CR1s as surrounds.

The CR3s also have the cool sound field management controls on the side panel.

·
Registered
859 Posts
that's the feature where you can turn the dipole into a direct firing speaker like the Veritaz surrounds or something?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the switch is very slick. But I am not sure how often I would be switching between dipole and direct firing. For surrounds I guess I would leave them as dipole, and for the rears I suppose they would always be direct firing.

Other than this feature of allowing you to configure the speaker, does anyone feel the CR3 has better drivers or can provide a better soundfield? I know Zan mentioned it does but anyone else?

-Gerry

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm also auditioning a C-series setup, but will probably use towers all the way around. Gerry, do you have room to bring your rear and surround speakers away from the walls? If not, then towers are probably not an option.

From what I'm gathering, the price difference between the R3 and C5 is pretty small, and nearly negligible when you add in the cost of stands/mounting. If you have the room, you might want to boil it down to choosing between C5s and R1s.

The bi-pole/di-pole switch is useful for folks which will want BOTH general home theater AND multi-channel audio optimization.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My main goal is to have a home theater. That said I expect that with some quality electronics I will begin listening to music more often.

So I think if I was choosing today I would go with the CR3's for surrounds, and some C1's for the rears. That way if I want to go for multi-channel audio I could flip a switch on the surrounds and be in business. Does that make sense?

-Gerry

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think you should audition the C-9 too. They have now a new matching center call the CC-3 which has 6" woofer just like the C-9.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

·
Registered
250 Posts
Gerry, your plan does make sense to me.

I have not listened to the C9s in stereo mode, just watching Star Wars in a HT setup. I personally plan on selecting the speakers with audio in mind, with the theory that what sounds good for audio will be at least as satisfying for HT.

With that said, I would like to get a center speaker with the drivers the same size as the mains. The C-C1 has 5.25" drivers, like the C-7. The C-C3 has 6.5" drivers, like the C-5 and C-9. But the C-C3 retails at $599 US, which is $250 more than the C-1. For that same price difference I'm thinking about upgrading the C-5 mains to C-7s and sticking with the C-C1. C-9s are a touch too rich for my blood, at least at this point in time. However, since I could not tell the difference between the C-5 and the C-7 in the store (with limited audition time, and only 1 CD selection to listen to), maybe I shouldn't worry about matching driver sizes across the front? If only I could buy a single C-3 bookshelf to use as the center!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
In my area I'm having a real hard time finding energy's to audition so forgive a few questions.Did you compare them to any other brands before buying-paradigm reference, for example?Or Monitor Audio,PSB?I'm just trying to get a frame of reference since its probably going to be a long drive to hear them.I've got the impression from reviews that the C series has most the good qualities pf paradigm but with a "sweeter" treble,which would be what I"m looking for.Any comments?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I only heard the Energys "against" the Athena F2 towers. Can't tell you how they compare to 'Digms, or other more popular speakers. By reading a lot of opinions, my guess is that the differences between Paradigm Studios and the Energy C-series are subtle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I was looking for new speaker I ended up with the Paradigm studio 100 against the Energy Connoisseur C-9. Let me start up with the Studio 100.

The studio 100 has very good bass extension and is quite tight. The midrange is good too. There big strength in my opinion is the image and soundstage of this speaker for the price. The big problem, for me at least , was the tweeter ,which was very clear but also very hard to my hear. The high frequency from this speaker would give me headache in about 5 minute at reasonable volume. This speaker can also take and maybe require lots of power about 200 Watt minimum for the best performance in my opinion.

If my memory serve the retail price is 3000 Canadian

The Energy C-9 has a nice bass which is very tight but doesn't extend very low. They begin to lost strength at 40. The midrange is clear and sound quite life like. The soundstage is OK but not that great and the image is very good. Their strong point in my opinion is the tweeter, which come directly from the Veritas serie. The tweeter is hairy and precise but never harsh to my ear. They can go pretty loud with their sensibility rated at 94 and are at their best with 130 watt or higher amp.

How do they compare?

The paradigm goes lower then the C-9 but the C-9 in my opinion is a bit tighter. The Midrange compared one against the other show in my opinion that the Studio are lacking a bit, the voice are not has clear has the C-9. For the tweeter their is no comparison. In my opinion the C-9 is far superior in the high frequency. The Soundstage is better on the studio but I can do with the one the C-9 provide. The Image is about the same with a slight edge for the studio 100.

All in all in my opinion the C-9 win the battle. But the studio 100 is also a very great speaker. If you put the price in the Battle then the C-9 really win in a value for the money contest

I hope I didn't bored you too much and keep in mind that I'm not a professional and what is stated on this post is only my opinion with the Little knowledge I have. Sorry if this has a lot of spelling error. Also don't trust me or other poster go out and listen to the different brand of speaker.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Great reply,Frederick.What I'm trying to do is to address the weakness you mention without losing the soundfield and imaging Paridigm provides.You've convinced me its worth listening to the C-9 at least.So far,the only speaker I've heard that does what I want is VA Beethoven but at $4000 pr.they're out of my price range.Liked the treble of the Bach but don't know if they have enough "fullness" for my room.Still,I have a good sub and anyways I'm listening to more acoustic as I grow older.so low bass is not my main concern.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well I don't think the tweeter in the C-9 is has smooth has the VA Beethoven. I really like the Beethoven too. Having alot of money I would probably bouth the Beethoven. But for the money, I couldn't find a nicer tweeter and overall sound than in the C-9.

Thanks

Frédérick Richard

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
We seem to think a lot alike-I'm definately going to give the C-9 a listen if I can find one...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh yes, I fell in love with the Vienna Acoustics too. But the love affair ended there because they were priced way out of my league.

I will also give the C9's a listen this weekend. I hope the place I am visiting has both the 7's and 9's so I can compare them head to head.

BTW, I found the Studio 60s to be a tad on the bright side. I personally prefered the Monitor 11s, so I am anxious to see if the Energy tweeter is to my liking.

-Gerry

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Gerry:If you do get to hear both,I'd be very interested in yout impressions.thanks! doug

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, Gerry, please post your findings between the C-series towers that you are able to listen to.

I tried for about 10 minutes to distinguish the C7 from the C5 but could not. I think it would take a more diverse music selection than what they had in the store, so bring your own to make sure you have something that will test them in all areas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well gang...I'm of the old school Energy Connoisseur Series, of which is sonically practically identical to the new line...with the newly re-born line being a "tad" IMHO more forward in there presentation....but that's VERY debateable.

I use C2's as my mains AND rear/back surrounds in a 7.1 setup. I love how the C2's perform as rears, not only for HT duties but especially on music tracks...the larger drivers in the C2's compared to say "smaller rears" really bring the presentation on both movies and music more alive and involving.

Now if I just knew what to do with my extra pair of C2's I have lying around...anyone know when 10.1 is coming out? ;-) Oh, wait I have some ideas...hee hee hee

E

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.