AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Which external drives are preferred for ripping BluRay? Burning would be nice, but not necessary. The drive will probably move between my late 2009 Quad Core i7 iMac and my 2011 Server configuration Mac Mini. Do I want to pay more for firewire 400 or 800 over USB?

Any pointers to currently maintained how-to's appreciated.

Cheers,

Drew

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Whatever the current "name" brand drive models are at Newegg should be fine, Pioneer, Sony, LG et al, and a USB enclosure will be fine as well, there's no advantage with firewire--ripping and burning speed are unrelated to the bus. I don't know how many blurays you plan to rip, but some drives ship with something called riplock, which slows the ripping process down. My LG has it, but it's never bothered me...I'm ripping far fewer blurays than dvds. With dvd optical drives I got much more involved, I flashed firmware so they'd rip faster, flashed to improve how they burned certain media, etc. With bluray, I don't really care if it takes a little longer to rip, and I have yet to burn a bluray.

Two notes of caution: there were a few odd drives that didn't work well with MakeMKV, so check their forum to see if that has been solved yet, and some cheap 5.25" enclosures didn't work, either. A few of us here have the Vantec:

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-530.../dp/B0019884K0

and can vouch that it works well.

I'd buy an enclosure from someplace that it's easy to return to if there's a problem, or from a vendor like OWC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.