AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine allready had a RGB to 5 BNC 15" long cable he bought for $120 at crtcinema.com so doesnt want to give that up.

Can anyone recommend some outdated Extron models that will do this and have video gain peak for extra long cables? Like 15'

Help is appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
The 108Plus and 202Plus do RGBHV (via a 9pin DSUB connector) to 5 BNC RGNHV. It has gain, sharpness, and H&V phase knobs. You can find them on ebay.

Cary

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
The RGB 109's and RGB 300's have a 15 pin D sub for PCs or scalers with this output. The output on these Extrons are 5 BNC RGBHV. You could also use composite sync with these (4 BNCs) other Extron units like the RGB 118 if I recall only have the 4 BNCs out.

I however do not use the peaking on my PJ on the 109 as I find it slightly blooms the picture is some spots. I find the RGB300 not so PnP friendly.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stylinlp
A friend of mine allready had a RGB to 5 BNC 15" long cable he bought for $120 at crtcinema.com so doesnt want to give that up.

Can anyone recommend some outdated Extron models that will do this and have video gain peak for extra long cables? Like 15'

Help is appreciated :)
15' is not a long distance. 150' is. You could easily get by with a P2/DA2 Plus. (I'm assuming you meant a VGA to 5 BNC breakout cable.)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I second what Mike said. 15' is nothing as far as distance is concerned.

I picked up a couple of Extron 120s a few weeks ago dirt cheap. PM me if you are interested in one of them. I even have the original. It has a 9-pin VGA connector.

The RGB120 has 300MHZ of bandwidth with H-phase, V-phase, Level and peak adjustments.

In any case, your friend is going to have to "give up" his breakout cable in favor of a VGA cable or 15-pin VGA to 9-pin VGA cable. The Extron boxes do an extremely nice job of reconditioning the signals you send to your projector.

Your friend paid way too much for that breakout cable. ;) Can it be returned?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need a RGB D-Pin to RGB D-Pin box to level up the signal to travel along a RGB to 5 bnc breakout cable. The Extron 120 doesn't have RGB D-Sub pin output as far as I know. Only 5 BNC output.

Extron Electronics P/2 DA2 PLUS Dual Output VGA to UXGA Distribution Amplifier looks like it would work.

As a computer tech I know its a fact that you are not suppose to use RGB cables longer than 6'. Thats why you can't buy a computer monitor with a built in cable longer than 6'

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you typo 15" in your original post, so what you have is a 15' breakout cable?

A distribution amplifier will suit the bill, but they don't show up on eBay as often as the RGB units do. Most of us run a short (3-6') VGA cable to an Extron RGB and then use a long run of 75-Ohm BNC cable from the box to the projector.

Another option is a modified Radeon card that has BNC connections instead of VGA, but in this case that isn't an option.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sorry. Its a 15 foot cable. As far as I know RGB cables are not ment to be longer than 6 feet.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Yes sorry. Its a 15 foot cable. As far as I know RGB cables are not ment to be longer than 6 feet.
Many computer stores sell VGA extension cables in lengths from 6 ft to 50 ft. The longer ones generally have better shielding. I have a 25' VGA / monitor extension attached to a 6' B/O cable that I used temporarily until my custom RG6 cables were made. Worked fine although I did use the DB15 buffered output port on the Extron RGB 109 plus.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Tell you what...let's get our terminology straight so there's no confusion. The cable you've been referring is what's known as a VGA to BNC breakout. The VGA part comes from the fact that it has a 15 pin HD Dsub connector on one end. The HD doesn't stand for high def, but rather high density (to distinguish it from the older low density, 2 row serial 9 pin connectors). The breakout term is to indicate that your VGA connector is split out to 5 individual coax's with BNC connectors on 'em.

As for the distance of 6 feet, you're partially correct. Generally speaking, PC video cards are not meant to drive cabling longer than about that distance without getting into bandwidth problems. Also, most "off the shelf" VGA cables (15pin Dsub on each end) are pretty pathetic in terms of build quality. They generally do not use individual coaxs, but rather just a bunch of conductors surrounded by a braided shield. Trying to go longer than 6 ft results in a lot of crosstalk between the conductors and causes errors in the signal reaching the display monitor. With a breakout cable, you are assured of individual coaxs, so the distance can be considerably longer without problems. With only 15' of distance to cover, and using a really good quality cable, you probably won't have any problems, although a buffer like the P2/DA2 Plus would help a little. ;)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
With only 15' of distance to cover, and using a really good quality cable, you probably won't have any problems
thanks Mike, it's nice to hear from one of the experts on this topic. StlyinLP actually built my HTPC and helped me set-up my HT, but It's nice to hear that the money I spent on a quality breakout cable was a good investment. I'll look into the PA/DA2, but at this point I thnik my Pic. quality is outstanding.:)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've been part of trade shows where a Extron P2 DAC was used to connect a 50+ foot Extron cable (VGA (not individual coax) attached to a digital projector. No noticeable degradation on the picture that I could see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.