AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been reading lots of info here and finally feel like i have enough information to actually ask a question now.

which features are right for me?

i know i need at least 4 HDMI inputs (1080p/60).

i think i want a "level 6" receiver, which means to me, i'd like a 7.1 system that actually does process 8 channels.

i'll be watching (native 1080p display):

HD and some SD movies on an HTPC (to be built in the next 6 months)

games on pc and ps3

blue ray and sd dvd movies on the ps3

HD cable broadcast ... not much SD tv, if any

future source devices are likely to be:

+ HD-DVD / Blue Ray / DVD-Audio / SACD combo if they exist or come out in the next few years. or just devices for whichever formats wins those "wars".

+ HTPC upgrades like new sound or graphics cards, or new HD players

so, i guess that means i need a TrueHD and DTS HD decoder somewhere in the chain. are there other audio decoders i should want given my use?

i don't think i need upconversion since i'm only using HDMI, and don't see myself using component, s-video or any older technolgy.

video scaling might be interesting, but i'd like to be able to turn it off and let the TV do the scaling (if it does a better job, or maybe some future player device might do it better).

what other questions should i be asking myself?

my goal is to get a short list in the next couple days and then make a purchase this month... i'm tired of switching the HDMI cable between the cable box and the ps3 lol

· Registered
8,729 Posts
So it seems that you want four HDMI inputs, simple HDMI pass-through of up to 1080p, room correction/surround processing of PCM up to 7.1 channels, and maybe 7.1 analog for HTPC usage.

Once (or if) the LFE issue is fixed for multichannel PCM signals, the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi gets my highest recommendation for your needs. For my 7.1 setup, and not considering the LFE issue, it handles all of my game consoles, SACD/DVD-Audio player, HD DVD player, and HTPC wonderfully.

How much are you willing to spend?

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi sounds like a winner for me. if it didn't have the LFE issue i'd order it tonight. $1500 is the range i'm looking at, but $2500 is about as much as i'd spend assuming an extra thousand bucks is worth it

is 4 HDMI the limit on current AVRs? 4 is what i need now, so i'm gonna bet that i could end up wanting 5 or 6 down the road

· Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/0

that Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi sounds like a winner for me. if it didn't have the LFE issue i'd order it tonight. $1500 is the range i'm looking at, but $2500 is about as much as i'd spend assuming an extra thousand bucks is worth it

is 4 HDMI the limit on current AVRs? 4 is what i need now, so i'm gonna bet that i could end up wanting 5 or 6 down the road

Four is the most so far.

If I were you, I would wait a few more months and see what upcoming AVRs have to offer.

I'm not telling you to wait for HDMI 1.3, but for receiver manufacturers to mature in their HDMI implementation and ensure that they get everything right. Also, receivers like the upcoming Sherwood models will have four or more HDMI inputs at a relatively low price. One of their models will have six HDMI inputs at a price of $1,500.

If you absolutely must buy now and could accept having only three HDMI inputs while using an HDMI switcher, then the Denon 4306 would probably be best for your price range. A friend of mine has the 4306, and he claims that it handles 7.1 PCM with room correction and has no LFE issue. Perhaps another forum member could verify this for you since I have no personal experience with the 4306.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wait and watch sounds prudent, but yeah, i do "need" something right now. so, i'll just order an HDMI switch from monoprice for now. besides, i still need to figure out if i need an amp and research speakers

thanks for the feedback!

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/0

So it seems that you want ... and maybe 7.1 analog for HTPC usage.

why the analog for HTPC use? are HTPCs not capable of sending a digital LPCM 7.1 signal? i'll probably learn more about this when it comes time to build the HTPC, but thought i'd ask

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, it looks like my short list is VERY short due to the number of HDMI inputs I need. the only receiver i found under $2500 with 4+ HDMI inputs was that Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi. are there any others?

that sherwood newcastle sounds awesome too

· Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded /forum/post/0

why the analog for HTPC use? are HTPCs not capable of sending a digital LPCM 7.1 signal? i'll probably learn more about this when it comes time to build the HTPC, but thought i'd ask

No current sound card has an HDMI interface, and you must rely on analog for 7.1 uncompressed audio for sources like PC games. Some cards do DD Live and DTS Interactive, but I figured you wouldn't be interested in using lossy compression when it isn't necessary. I currently use an X-Fi Elite Pro for the reason that it has good DACs and room correction options.

Cards from M-Audio, Lynx, and now Auzentech, are also good solutions for analog listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.