AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious which of their subs if any are suited for HT use, i know they are a car audio sub company, but that doesn't necessarily mean the subs wont perform well in an HT environment.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Q is great, Ascendant Audio Mayhem has been used a bit.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
guys it's Fi not eff eye, but fye :p

they modded a BTL for HT, shaved some motor to tame the spike

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A guy on the shack had this response from FI car audio themselves.

Gives you food for thought!

Quote:
"With 2000-2500W on tap for a single speaker, the only thing I would recommend is the new Blueprint BPD18-04 Series speaker. The Q is not up to handling that much power thermally."

I bet this will get you all talking.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly don't understand the whole power handling thing. Why not design an efficient speaker that doesn't need that kind of power to perform?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am running 3600 RMS to my two SSD's and thermally, they aren't even sweating it. I haven't had a chance to crank it too much, but my amp was thermalling while the subs were cool as can be.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
my IB3s rated 500 watts laugh at the 3kW amps I have on them in the van, they killed my Iraggi 220A alternator.

My other IB3s in the house laugh at the EP4000s and make my TV shut off.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just ordered a pair of the black fiday 12's, I cant wait for them to arrive. Gotta jump on getting my enclosure design started for them.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_carter /forum/post/19571105

I just ordered a pair of the black fiday 12's, I cant wait for them to arrive. Gotta jump on getting my enclosure design started for them.

how much were they? what ure enclosures gonna b?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I think there was a special on the X subs for black friday

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, the SSD's are excellent for HT use, I absolutely love mine, they dig deep enough that I swear I can see little Chinese people climbing out of my ports when I turn them up...

The black fidays are the old school X series subs, Dual 4 ohm, and rated for 250 RMS each. Though I am sure I can throw a 1000 watts RMS to the pair without a problem.

I am going to design a nice compact ported box for them, and sell them on to somebody who can give them a good home in their car.

Unless I like them a lot, then I might just run them as my midbass drivers to pair with the 18's. But, I am guessing that some pro audio midbass will be a better match, something with a ton of efficiency.

I really wish videos could reproduce the amount of output and air movement that my twins are capable of. It is just insane sitting in my room with them at 3 inches of excursion and things breaking and vibrating all over my house like they are going to explode from the bass. I am starting to notice a lot of nails poking through the plaster in my walls lately. No surprise there since my walls flex over 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
So what did you go with?

I am trying to buy a pair of 15 SSD w/BP option for my sub build. Does anyone know what the packaged box weighs?

I cant find the weight or dimensions anywhere. I am trying to order ASAP.

·
Registered
352 Posts
my shipping weight for each of my SSD18's was 29 pounds, I believe.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_carter /forum/post/19672292

my shipping weight for each of my SSD18's was 29 pounds, I believe.

They have to weigh more then that. I just got my (8) 15" dayton HFs yesterday. Package weight was 30.6lbs each. They are bigger then I thought but not huge.

Your 18"s are probably closer to 39lbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts