AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an affordable HDTV for bedroom and I was looking at the following 32 inch LCD's:

Sony 32 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Integrated HDTV (720p), BRAVIA® - Model KDL-32L4000

Samsung 32 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Integrated HDTV (720p) - Model LN32A330J1DXZA

but cannot decide which is better for gaming. These days are tough as you practically need a college degree to buy something as simple as a TV. Anyone experienced in this area can lend me their two cents?

It would be alot easier if I could post how much I was willing to spend but for some reason I cannot. But those who do their research should pretty much be able to guess. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been looking at both of those sets as well. From what I've gathered here and around the web, the Sony handles games slightly better and has better built-in sound. I've also been looking at some similar priced Sharp and Vizio sets too. Sony and Sharp sets seem to have a good rep for the way they handle games. I really like the look of the Samsung just from eyeballing it in the store though. It's confusing I know, right now I'm suffering from analysis paralysis and waiting on the best deal.

·
Registered
16,000 Posts
The 2 models you list are entry level and have poor contrast. You'd be better off with the Panasonic mentioned above, or the Sony M series or the Samsung 450. All 3 are considerably better than the 2 you mention, and are consistently reviewed as the 3 best 720p 32" LCDs.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15496847

The 2 models you list are entry level and have poor contrast. You'd be better off with the Panasonic mentioned above, or the Sony M series or the Samsung 450. All 3 are considerably better than the 2 you mention, and are consistently reviewed as the 3 best 720p 32" LCDs.

Right and they both have gotten a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies. Out of curiosity between the Panasonic 32LX85, Sony 32" KDL-32M4000 and the Samsung 32" LN32A450 which would be on top?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
forced with a choice between Sony, Samsung, or Panny I'd choose the Panny any day. And it's #1 on Consumer Reports. That said, maybe just go look for yourself and see what you like.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
fyi, in RE: to Cnet -

SD looks great on the Panny. I won't be watching really any SD, but I checked it out and with the set calibrated it looks really good. Especially on JUST aspect. And upping the tint towards green a couple clicks negates any red push it may have (which I've heard is really exaggerated)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The problem with almost all 720p sets is that they are not 720p! They are 768p (1366 x 768) that will accept a 720p signal. This process creates lag and sometimes overscan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK due to pocket restraints and all the advice I have thankfully received I have narrowed it down to the following models:

Sony 26 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Integrated HDTV (720p), BRAVIA® (KDL-26M4000)

Sony 32 in. (Diagonal) Class LCD Integrated HDTV (720p), BRAVIA® (KDL-32L4000)

I think the 26 inch is a later brand so I would guess that it would have better specs. But it is also smaller.

My question is how would the size impact the difference in the specs between the two?

Would the smaller later model be better than the larger but older model or would the upgraded parts be wasted at that size?

·
Registered
331 Posts
After plenty of research, I finally made the jump on getting my first HDTV.

I just ordered the Toshiba Regza 32" 32CV510U

My primary usage for this TV will be for watching the local HD channels via QAM, Gaming on my Xbox 360 via Component and of course Blu-Ray movies when ever I buy a Blu-Ray player or PS3 in the future.

The other reason is cause i read this TV will accept 1080p24 and 1080p60 sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for being a pest. I just discovered smaller models of the recommended versions in my price range. Need 2 cents on one last comparison:

Samsung - 26" 720p Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HDTV LN26A450

Sony - BRAVIA 26" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV KDL-26M4000

Reminder for standard bedroom and gaming. Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Keep in mind that if you use Game Mode, the settings are not adjustable on the Samsung. With the Sony you can still tweak the picture settings while in Game Mode. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts